Buying suspension parts, advice wanted.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Right now my car is lowered about an inch with SVE lowering springs.. I am having a clunk issue in the front since changing the springs, so I am just going to order other suspension parts hopefully to help and get rid of the issue.

I just need help with what parts I should/could order just to make the car more solid all around. I won’t track the car at all, just a street car, so I don’t need to go nuts, just to make my car ride decent without clunking and making shitty noises.

Right now my list consists of the following…

-Koni Sturts and Shocks
-MM Caster Camber plates
-J&M Bumpsteer Kit
-BMR Sway bar (front and rear)
-BMR End link kit
-BMR Lower Rear Control Arm Vertical Links
-BMR Upper Control Arm Camber Links
-BMR IRS Brace

I haven’t ordered anything yet, once I get some advice/help with completing my list, I’ll order everything. So if there is anything on the list that isn’t necessary or anything I should definitely add, please let me know. I am not a suspension guru, so I need help. I’d like to knock this out and be done with it. Thanks.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Before you fire the parts cannon at it I suggest you find out where the noise is coming from. I would think either control arm bushings or ball joints, at least that is where I would start looking

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Before you fire the parts cannon at it I suggest you find out where the noise is coming from. I would think either control arm bushings or ball joints, at least that is where I would start looking

I’ve tried, so did the shop I took my car to for the alignment and clocking of the bushings, my car has less than 2700 miles on it, had no noise until after I put the lowering springs on and it was immediate. I’ve checked everything and so did they (at least that’s what they told me).. so I was hoping it was the struts or something and putting some designed for the lowering springs would help.

I don’t know what else to do unless I try to take it to another shop because I’ve been under the car and cannot figure it out and either did the shop I took it to first.

I was hoping it would fix itself after throwing parts on there. It’s driving me nuts already. If I could figure out where the noise was, I wouldn’t even plan on buying a lot of this shit, just kind of my last resort.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
If the noise started immediately after the spring install, that’s where I would start looking. Do the springs have the idolaters installed? Are the springs clocked correctly? At 2700 miles, nothing should be worn out.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
If the noise started immediately after the spring install, that’s where I would start looking. Do the springs have the idolaters installed? Are the springs clocked correctly? At 2700 miles, nothing should be worn out.
Yea the isolators are in there and look to be fine, and springs look to be clocked correct. Bump stops should be good as well. I guess on my next day off I will get the car up in the air again and triple check everything, go over every step, after that I dunno what else to do besides try to find a new shop to look at it.

FJohnny

Established Member
How was the single nut at the top of the strut rod torqued? If it isn't enough there can be a clunk with the strut upper mount over bumps..

Hit it with a very short burst or two with an impact and see if your noise disappears. (Note: this is a quick check and not the correct way to achieve proper torque setting.)

Good luck. Who doesn't hate clunks?

ToddW702

Established Member
It’s almost worth putting the stock springs back on to see what happens at this point. It would suck to order all those parts and still have a clunk.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
How was the single nut at the top of the strut rod torqued? If it isn't enough there can be a clunk with the strut upper mount over bumps..

Hit it with a very short burst or two with an impact and see if your noise disappears. (Note: this is a quick check and not the correct way to achieve proper torque setting.)

Good luck. Who doesn't hate clunks?

I did not have the special socket for that so I used a 21mm deep well socket, a 1/4 ratchet, a 1/4 ratchet extension and a 1/4 10mm socket to tighten them.. I checked them once before when this started happening... I guess maybe I should order the socket made for it and try again.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Yea the isolators are in there and look to be fine, and springs look to be clocked correct. Bump stops should be good as well. I guess on my next day off I will get the car up in the air again and triple check everything, go over every step, after that I dunno what else to do besides try to find a new shop to look at it.
The LMR website shows the SVE lowering springs coming with new bump stops. Did the shop install them? If not, that'd do it. As others have said, you don't have a parts problem, you have an install problem. More new parts won't help.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
The LMR website shows the SVE lowering springs coming with new bump stops. Did the shop install them? If not, that'd do it. As others have said, you don't have a parts problem, you have an install problem. More new parts won't help.
Yes the bump stops that came with them are installed.. I will go over everything again on my day off and hopefully take my time and try to figure it out, I ordered the socket for the strut nut, just to double check that again.

Users who are viewing this thread