Buying a used Ecoboost or Coyote F150

KILRSVT

Established Member
It has been a while since I posted in svtp. I currently own an 05 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 with 177,000 miles. Its a beast ! I have towed , haul and put it through the ringer. I have been wanting a crew cab for a while. The extended cab is just not practical in parking lots and it is a tight area back there. I have been wanting a newer F150. I just cant seem to go RAM or toyota route and GM is not my thing when it comes to trucks. It has been my concern that the ecoboost has carbon build up issues on the intake valves and working at BMW with direct injected twin turbo straight 6 cyl , I have seen it many times. Its a pain to clean and its something I dont want to face out of warranty, on the other hand I know Ford has sold around 800k Ecoboost F150 and only a small margin have this problem . I have seen some ecoboost FX4 trucks with near or a little over 100k that I can afford. I've been thinking of going 5.0 route but the price difference is not that much from an ecoboost. I know some 5.0 have had some tensioner and oblong cylinder problems, while the EB has carbon, spark plug, and water on the charge cooler problems. Can you guys chime in and tell me your experience with your higher mileage EB or 5.0. I know I will be told to buy a truck with lower mileage.....but a truck is something that has too much of a depreciation and I expect a higher mileage 5.0 or EB to hold up or be better than my 5.4. Thanks in advance.

02_Lightning

Established Member
I had an awful ecoboost experience. Mine was out of warranty and I had all issues you explained. Honestly, they will all have thoseas it is inherently a design flaw. See my thread in this section explaining the ecoboost debacle.
I am back in a V8 truck and am extremely happy. The 5.0 has its own issues, but not on the very large ecoboost scale! Eco was fun to drive, BUT was not dependable/reliable.

jonw605

Established Member
If it's a higher milage truck I agree with 02_Lightning, get the 5.0
The ecobeast is superior IMO, but I will not drive mine for 100K miles before getting a new one again due to some reliability issues it presents.

02_Lightning

Established Member
If it's a higher milage truck I agree with 02_Lightning, get the 5.0
The ecobeast is superior IMO, but I will not drive mine for 100K miles before getting a new one again due to some reliability issues it presents.

I would still disagree. Have a look at the F150 forums and you will see the horror that many eco owners go through. Sure, it was fun to drive, but the inherent issues will arise and cause havoc. I would recommend against. The only bulletproof F150 engine is the 6.2... No issues with it in the 150 or the super duty trucks.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Go to the f150forum. You will get a lot of info and a lot of disagreement. I have a '14 Lariat super crew and love it. I did opt for the 5.0. The tensioner problem you state is more of the 5.4's if I am not mistaken. The 5.0's have a tick problem along with other issues. You have captured most of the eco issues. They are both good motors and you will find people with issues with both motors. I would try to buy the newest model you can afford of either motor you choose as some issues get better in the later years. If you go eco, read the threads on drilling a small hole in the bottom of your h/e. That is where the condensation builds up and can lead to your engine ingesting a gulp of water.

Last year when we got the wife a new Escape, we did get the eco. It's a 4 cylinder of course, not the 6 but still an eco. We will see how both go.

Good luck in your search. You will love how big the super crew is. I came from an extended cab Chevy and there is no comparison in the cab and accessibility.

Last edited:

02_Lightning

Established Member
No, the clacking on cold start IS the cam phaser issue. This is a known Ford eco issue with a TSB. The fix came in mid 2015, so prior ecos are all suspect.
I would argue that the eco is and will be far more problematic than any other ford engine ever offered... Even worse than the 6L PSD.
Your 5.0 is a great motor - good choice for you. The eco is a ticking time bomb and we will be looking back at this engine and asking "WTF?".

Btw, f150forum has really become a wasteland of useless info. That place is runby a real group of jerks.

KILRSVT

Established Member
hey guys ...I picked up a 2011 crew cab FX4 powered by a 5.0...cant beat the sound that thing makes.

Users who are viewing this thread