Buying a truck soon, questions about Ecoboost

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
I am buying a truck soon. I am looking at F-150s with ecoboost around 2012 and under 100k miles. I have researched all over and can't really find any major issues with this engine, but I wanted to at least ask on here. Is there a good or bad year model ecoboost to buy? I know about the carbon build up issues and the CAC condensation issues, but I am not too concerned with them. I am more concerned with injector and turbo problems.

I am asking because I was talking to someone that owned a 2011 the other day, and he said that the first year or so they were build better, then they changed something for a few years that caused problems, then went back to the original design. He didn't have any specifics on what was changed or what the problems were.

Is there any thing specific I should look for before purchasing a truck?

02_Lightning

Established Member
Beware- don't buy one. The condensation is a HUGE issue with these trucks. I owned a 2012 ecoboost for only 6 months. It experienced all the known problems condensation, sparkplugs, fuel in oil, timing chains etc. I dumped that truck like yesterdays garbage. Performance was really bad, and gas mileage was the same as my Raptor.

railroad

Established Member
I have a 13 Supercrew with eco. It is one of those engines that seems to be in the right gear with the right power all the time. My son has a 14, friend has a 12. The 12 did do the condensation in the heat exchanger. Dealer, put in new plugs, cat on one side, mod heat exh and reflash, no more issues. He bought the truck to see if he would keep it. After a couple of trips in the mountains with a load, it became a keeper. My truck has 3.31 gears, sons had something like 3.15, friends has 3.73s. I have driven all 3. 420 ft lbs of tq at 2500 rpm does not need a lot of gear. I tried ordering 3.55 or 3.73s, not available in Lariat. 3.31s are good. My son's truck put down 300 hp stock on a very conservative dyno. Premium fuel really wakes the truck up and can pick up nearly 2 mpg. 20 inch wheels are really the only way to go. I would shy away from a truck that had to go back to dealer with numerous issues. Not hearing this since the heat exh issues have been addressed.

02_Lightning

Established Member
I am surprised that folks are putting performance ahead of safety/reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread