buying a Shed. need opinions

kingnut

Established Member
I need a shed to store my motorcycle, push lawn mower, and other misc shit. I know Lowes, home depot, and Costco carry a bunch of different preassembled ones. I dont care if its wood or plastic as long as it is a good quality shed and will last. I probably prefer plastic because of the lack of maintaining it. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I STRONGLY recommend against the plastic variety unless you anchor it securely. I was given one last year by my step-dad. Brought it home and set it up. An hour later we got hit by strong winds and the shed literally rolled across my backyard before it collapsed on itself. I wish I had video, because it was comical after the fact.

Coiled03

Established Member
Why not build your own? It wouldn't be that hard if you have any framing experience at all. You could even hire someone to pour the concrete if you want to avoid that part.

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
Tuff Shed.
Built on site, 30 year guarantee, and built stronger than our house. Might be more expensive initially but you will only have to do it once. I have mine wired and use it for storage, a reloading room. Added my own lights and an A/C.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I bought a 10x10 from lowes last December and have been pretty satisfied with it thus far. It's just plain jane metal one. I poured a cement foundation for it and anchored it down. Got actual shed on sale for around $275 I think and had about $125 in the concrete. Like someone else noted I think the Metal is a better product when I was looking.

Only complaint about it, was installation. Thing had what seemed like 2000 parts and was very flimsy until it all got fully put together. As a matter of fact had 70mph winds 2 nights after I put it up and was extremely concerned about it holding up through it and it didn't budge! It does def take a minimum 2 people to put one together at about 8 install time too, but instructions are straight forward for the most part.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I STRONGLY recommend against the plastic variety unless you anchor it securely. I was given one last year by my step-dad. Brought it home and set it up. An hour later we got hit by strong winds and the shed literally rolled across my backyard before it collapsed on itself. I wish I had video, because it was comical after the fact.

Not to laugh but LOLZ!

Artie1957

Banned
I bought a 10x10 from lowes last December and have been pretty satisfied with it thus far. It's just plain jane metal one. I poured a cement foundation for it and anchored it down. Got actual shed on sale for around $275 I think and had about $125 in the concrete. Like someone else noted I think the Metal is a better product when I was looking.

Only complaint about it, was installation. Thing had what seemed like 2000 parts and was very flimsy until it all got fully put together. As a matter of fact had 70mph winds 2 nights after I put it up and was extremely concerned about it holding up through it and it didn't budge! It does def take a minimum 2 people to put one together at about 8 install time too, but instructions are straight forward for the most part.
+1 don't put it on treated plywood either. I put mine on 16in X 16in X 2 stepping stones. Lots of parts to put together is an understatement!

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
If you build a wooden shed I have a tip for you.:read:

Cut out a small side entrance on the shed facing the lawn.
You can then use this door for wheeling the lawnmower in and out of the shed without having to open the main doors and shuffle items around.

Please refer to my highly detailed scale drawing in Paint: ;-)
shed.JPG

mr-proper

Established Member

hahahaah same here :cuss: i was cussing all daay:bash:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
As anything else goes, bigger is better. I bought my wooden shed aready built from a local company. I went there looking for around a 10'X10' shed and ended up buying a 12'X20' instead. I thought I would never fill it up....but now it is full and I could use more room

allister

Established Member
We need a shed for the same reasons. When we get around to doing it, we are going to have one built that's attached to the house. I guess property taxes can go up if you have a separate building on the property as opposed to having it attached to the house? Is what I've heard at least.

kingnut

Established Member
Are you pouring a cement foundation for it? Or just putting it on the ground?

probably gonna pour a cement foundation since the ground isnt really level when i want to put one.

lol dude. im sure yours was empty at the time. im hoping that it mine wouldnt fly away with all my stuff in it. also it has 6ft privacy fence on both sides to block most of the wind.

Why not build your own? It wouldn't be that hard if you have any framing experience at all. You could even hire someone to pour the concrete if you want to avoid that part.

time is really the issue. im not much of a woodsman but im sure i could figure it out. i might go this route.

Tuff Shed.
Built on site, 30 year guarantee, and built stronger than our house. Might be more expensive initially but you will only have to do it once. I have mine wired and use it for storage, a reloading room. Added my own lights and an A/C.

looking into this. thanks.

yeah i just dont want metal. they rust and i think wood and plastic look better.

Where are you in NC?

Southern Pines

If you build a wooden shed I have a tip for you.:read:

Cut out a small side entrance on the shed facing the lawn.
You can then use this door for wheeling the lawnmower in and out of the shed without having to open the main doors and shuffle items around.

Please refer to my highly detailed scale drawing in Paint: ;-)
shed.JPG

lmfao. thanks for the blue prints man. hahaha. i love the photoshopped mower also. :rockon:

As anything else goes, bigger is better. I bought my wooden shed aready built from a local company. I went there looking for around a 10'X10' shed and ended up buying a 12'X20' instead. I thought I would never fill it up....but now it is full and I could use more room

yeah im an overkill type of person. it definitely wont be to small for my needs for the next 10 years!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have bought two wooden sheds from a company in New Hampshire called Post Woodworking. They build your shed on site in the matter of an hour. There are other companies that do this, too. My present, an 8' X 16' Cape Ann shed, was just bought last October. It wasn't cheap at $3,295.00, but it will last 20+ years and the quality is superior. I got this one with vinyl siding for ease of maintenance. I added my own wood-grain vinyl floor to make the interior look nicer. Having researched sheds in depth, I would never buy a cheap shed, nor would I buy metal or vinyl sheds. I would only buy a wood shed of highest quality. In the end you'll be happier.

As mentioned already, consider a secondary door for ease of getting equipment out. I went with just one front double-door because I wanted to utilize as much interior wall space as possible. Also, buy a size or two larger than you think you need. It would be a kicker to buy a shed only big enough for your present equipment and then decide next year you want a riding mower.....than then might not fit. Even though my second shed is a larger 8' X 16', I kind of wish I had gone with a 10' X 18' shed for an additional $800. It would have made storing out deck furniture during the winter a bit easier.

kingnut

Established Member
I have bought two wooden sheds from a company in New Hampshire called Post Woodworking. They build your shed on site in the matter of an hour. There are other companies that do this, too. My present, an 8' X 16' Cape Ann shed, was just bought last October. It wasn't cheap at $3,295.00, but it will last 20+ years and the quality is superior. I got this one with vinyl siding for ease of maintenance. I added my own wood-grain vinyl floor to make the interior look nicer. Having researched sheds in depth, I would never buy a cheap shed, nor would I buy metal or vinyl sheds. I would only buy a wood shed of highest quality. In the end you'll be happier.

As mentioned already, consider a secondary door for ease of getting equipment out. I went with just one front double-door because I wanted to utilize as much interior wall space as possible. Also, buy a size or two larger than you think you need. It would be a kicker to buy a shed only big enough for your present equipment and then decide next year you want a riding mower.....than then might not fit. Even though my second shed is a larger 8' X 16', I kind of wish I had gone with a 10' X 18' shed for an additional $800. It would have made storing out deck furniture during the winter a bit easier.

thanks for the info.

haha that thread is amazing. i give dude an A for effort and and F for everything else.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I got a 10'x10' Heartland barn style shed with a 4'x8' loft that comes in real handy. It was precut and I put it together with help from my uncle and father in law in a weekend. I think it was $895 and it is very good quality. I built my own subfloor frame out of treated 2'x4's and raised it off the ground with cinder blocks. I also just added a 10'x10' lean-to. I am very pleased with this shed and have about $1400 in the shed, subfloor, lean-to, & underpinning

Users who are viewing this thread