Buying a new Focus...

zsommer79

Established Member
Well methane is most likey going to be a fossil fuel unless you go really green and collect it from cows or after eating a bowl of chili. Plus it takes energy to prdoduce and refineries don't run off solar. I work for an oil company so I am not a green freak but I hate the word green because it is usually just marketing BS used to make people feel better about themselves.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Well methane is most likey going to be a fossil fuel unless you go really green and collect it from cows or after eating a bowl of chili. Plus it takes energy to prdoduce and refineries don't run off solar. I work for an oil company so I am not a green freak but I hate the word green because it is usually just marketing BS used to make people feel better about themselves.

Don't forget landfills. I had chili the other night. Woke-up at 3:00am to raise the water level in the toilet bowl and when I returned Whoa! Damn! I wish the refineries would have extracted the air in my bedroom, methane-a-plenty! Funny, I didn't notice till I came back from an area of fresh air.

If your going to talk about operating refineries then we'll talk about the gas it takes to run the internal combustion engine, but that's not the point. I agree with the labeling of the word 'Green' it seems to be mostly BS.

Speaking of burning methane, I just heard my natural gas burning furnace kick-on.

98Cobra_sleeper

Established Member
i waited 2 oil changes i believe before switching to full synthetic. I was using Amsoil, but started using Mobil 1 as it was easier to get. I also change mine every 5k miles, since i commute 125 miles a day around 80mph, which leaves the engine spinning around 3k RPM's for almost an hour.
Yeah Damond has awesome stuff. i have the manifold side can, but i still havent installed it. i need to clean my intake valves the same time i install it.
if you are into intercoolers (great addition), check out Levels Performance. he hand makes each intercooler right here in the USA. People seem to be nuts about them. I know people like Steeda's too, but they were on backorder for several weeks the last time i checked. If you dont want to remove the factory AGS (grill shutter system), the only intercooler available to keep the system is made by vortech. its a little salty, (900 dollars) but its a direct bolt on.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Gonna be doing my 1st oil change this weekend, amsoil signature series synthetic, its the only oil i will use since ive had great results with it in my 700+ hp mustang. Im a amsoil member so its easy to get and the shipping is fast...also adding a Cpe stage 2 rear engine mount as well ...cant stand the wheel hop under hard accelleration, and I'm adding more power next spring so i will need it!

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
i waited 2 oil changes i believe before switching to full synthetic. I was using Amsoil, but started using Mobil 1 as it was easier to get. I also change mine every 5k miles, since i commute 125 miles a day around 80mph, which leaves the engine spinning around 3k RPM's for almost an hour.
Yeah Damond has awesome stuff. i have the manifold side can, but i still havent installed it. i need to clean my intake valves the same time i install it.
if you are into intercoolers (great addition), check out Levels Performance. he hand makes each intercooler right here in the USA. People seem to be nuts about them. I know people like Steeda's too, but they were on backorder for several weeks the last time i checked. If you dont want to remove the factory AGS (grill shutter system), the only intercooler available to keep the system is made by vortech. its a little salty, (900 dollars) but its a direct bolt on.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be changing the intercooler. I'll check out the Levels Performance 'cooler, thanks.

Gonna be doing my 1st oil change this weekend, amsoil signature series synthetic, its the only oil i will use since ive had great results with it in my 700+ hp mustang. Im a amsoil member so its easy to get and the shipping is fast...also adding a Cpe stage 2 rear engine mount as well ...cant stand the wheel hop under hard accelleration, and I'm adding more power next spring so i will need it!

Amsoil, good stuff. I run it in the Cobra. Wheel hop...

I guess I can't do this wheel hop correction. Worked wonders for my Cobra.

IMG_0278.JPG

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Finally! Received the phone call from the dealer late this afternoon. Funny, I was watching the local news and the phone rings, across the TV screen it says Lou Fusz Ford. I knew exactly what that was about!

Salesmen tells me he's being told delivery will be anytime from Saturday to Tuesday. Yahoo! He said more than likely the beginning of the week. Yahoo!

I decided sense it's winter time around here I'm going to transfer the title and pay taxes (ouch!) and wait till the weather warms-up and then get the license plates. Unfortunately, in Missouri we have to have our cars inspected and I hate messing around with that BS in the winter. You never know it could be 45* and fairly nice out or 5* and 10" of snow on the ground, so I'd rather wait and get plates in the spring when it warms-up and not have to deal with the unknown winter weather BS every 2 years.

I was planning on trading in my 10 year old Foci in, but I just had the tags renewed on it a couple of days ago ('cause I wasn't sure if the new car was going to come in before the end of Jan. when they expired.), so looks like I'll be driving the old bomb for awhile longer. That's cool, it'll help keep the miles low on the new car for awhile.

I'll post some pics when she comes in!

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
IT'S HERE!

I got lucky, no snow, sunshine and 55* out today. Love this Kona Blue Metallic in the sunshine!

Maybe I shouldn't have payed the extra $30 bucks for the all season tires, lol!

Entry level as they say...

IMG_0418.JPGIMG_0422.JPGIMG_0423.JPGIMG_0424.JPGIMG_0419.JPG

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
No Recaro seats. Base model 2016.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
It's been 10 years since I bought a new vehicle. WTF! I thought I was buying another house, I had to sign my name a hundred times and this car wasn't even financed. I gave a damn cashier's check from my bank.
I don't recall signing that many times 10 years ago, probably promised them something that I'm not even aware of, lol!

Now, to get the rear door windows and the quarter glass tinted... Dark!

Wonder if I can get these on the rear? I could have the first Pro-Street '16 Focus ST!

Mmmm, maybe not...

IMG_0430.JPGIMG_0429.JPG

I'll be looking this winter for some new wheels with summer only tread. Then swap-out the factory wheels with the "winter" tires in the early summer. I've been looking at wheels, but just haven't come-across any that I'm interested in yet. All to "modern" for this ol' timer's taste. Like the wheels that are on it now... Ugh! Stay tuned, you'll probably be shocked on what I pick-out! lol!

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Congrats on the ST!!! Are you posting on focusst.org yet? I'm known by the same name over there as I am on here. Chances are you'll see me posting, I do a lot of it over there.

Like the kona blue a lot, though I'm still a little partial to my magnetic

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Congrats on the ST!!! Are you posting on focusst.org yet? I'm known by the same name over there as I am on here. Chances are you'll see me posting, I do a lot of it over there.

Like the kona blue a lot, though I'm still a little partial to my magnetic

Thanks! Yeah, I just signed-up over there, Mark's ST.

Funny, I was just having some fun with a member over there. I noticed he has a 05 GTO, but apparently no Focus ST. Hey, that's fine, whatever floats your boat I always say. Most web sites are cool and let anybody with any vehicle join, but I think this guy thinks he's intimidating people somewhat with his car. I noticed he made sure he posted his GTO and mods in his signature area. So, just to toy with him I quickly posted my 03 Cobra with mods in my sig. and asked if he wanted to run. This was in reference to his post talking about he'll run anytime bla, bla, bla. He may think he's dealing with nothing but turbo'd 4clys. on that site. Guess what!

Yeah, that magnetic is sharp looking!

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Thanks! Yeah, I just signed-up over there, Mark's ST.

Funny, I was just having some fun with a member over there. I noticed he has a 05 GTO, but apparently no Focus ST. Hey, that's fine, whatever floats your boat I always say. Most web sites are cool and let anybody with any vehicle join, but I think this guy thinks he's intimidating people somewhat with his car. I noticed he made sure he posted his GTO and mods in his signature area. So, just to toy with him I quickly posted my 03 Cobra with mods in my sig. and asked if he wanted to run. This was in reference to his post talking about he'll run anytime bla, bla, bla. He may think he's dealing with nothing but turbo'd 4clys. on that site. Guess what!

Yeah, that magnetic is sharp looking!

some people are just ignorant... hes prob a child or is in his mind for sure. There are quite a few of us on that site that have had or still have some fast cars as well. I have people try and talk down to me every now and then like i'm some 19 y/o kid and this is the fastest car i'll ever own... I'm forced to inform them of my 700 rwhp cobra that I DD for years.

It's a good site though, the majority over there is very happy to give good advice, and there are a few that are down right geniuses with what they know about the technical side of our cars. I'm one of the most active members it seems so it'll be really hard not to cross paths with me over there fairly quickly.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I love the Kona Blue, Congrats. What do you think of the handling? I think its great.

Thank you! Yeah, the handling is great. Funny, when I picked-up the car that was the first time I drove an ST. The dealer is a block from the highway on ramp. So, out the parking lot, down the street onto the highway. I'm switching lanes from outside to middle to 3rd lane and I'm freaking out on how tight the freaking steering is compared to my 10 year old bomb! Like night & day brother!

Here is mine and loving it. Cobb Stage 1 with stratified 93 tune. The car is such an animal I love it.......Steve

View attachment 61094View attachment 61095View attachment 61096

Wow! nice looking car! Like the white. I have the Damond Motorsports oil catch can system, but I won't be installing till spring time. I'll slowly change-out some things on the car over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I picked-up a new cover for the ST. I got it through CA Car Cover Co, but as we all know it's made by Cover Craft. I bought a cover from them (Cover Craft) in 2001 when I bought a new Bullitt Mustang and I still use it today on my Cobra. It's in pretty good shape for 14 years old.

I bought the Sunbrella. It has the highest rated U.V. protection. Not that I need that, I don't live in the desert, but it is one of their heavier covers. I also had them add a 5" skirt to the cover. That would be an extra 5" all around the bottom of the cover. Yeah, it cost more, but I think it's well worth it. You'll note in the pics below it covers the wheels too.

The ST is in hibernation till May. The battery is on a maintainer in the basement. All of 74 miles on that bad boy. Can't wait till spring!

The reason is, it took a little longer for Ford to build the car, so I had to renew my tags on my 10 year old Focus that ran-out in Jan. The plan was to trade-in the old bomb for the ST, but this way I'll be able to keep the miles low on the ST for the next 2 years while I mostly drive the old Focus.

I ran-out of garage space, so it sits outside for now. The real reason for the cover, I paid taxes and did title transfer, but I don't want to get the plates in the winter. I'm waiting till May. Hopefully my local police don't read this and recognize the covered car, 'cause guess what...

OK, we're back. Tried posting pics at 1:30am, but I guess SVTP was off the air. Like the ol' days of TV. Yes kids, TV used go off the air every night back in the day. We ol' timers remember the Test Pattern all night long.

Pics...

IMG_0541.JPGIMG_0539.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0540.JPGIMG_0543.JPG

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Fingers crossed, the throw-out bearing/clutch/timing chain/main bearings/seals and anything else that would cost big money or a lot of my time if I repair last for the next 2 years.

One big disappointment for me is Ford doesn't make a 2-door anymore. I would have bought one if they offered it. I don't need a 4-door. The baby girl is long grown-up and on her own. I guess it's my age, but when I was a kid 4-doors were strictly thought of as "family cars" "grocery getters" and in general frowned upon. Defiantly not hot rods/sports cars. Oh well, attitude's change as time marches on.

Da bomb...

IMG_0546.JPG

Strange weather, we set a record the other day 77* or 78* degrees. Now this...

IMG_0547.JPG

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Update...

Well, decided against the Demond Motorsports oil catch can stuff. Instead I'm going with Bob's Autosports catch can. The same can I use on my 03 Cobra. I should have spent more time researching the Demond cans, but after looking at them (closely) I wasn't that impressed with the way they "catch" oil. In general, it's not much if any different than 99% of the systems that are on the market. Plus, you can't take apart the Demond can and clean the inside thoroughly.

If you don't have a late model blown Mustang your probably not familiar with Bob's Autosports oil catch can set-ups. They don't make one for the ST, but they have a universal that can be adapted for use in most applications. I believe their design is patented.

What I like about Bob's is you'll notice that the inlet goes directly into the area that "stores" the oil. Most have the the inlet and outlet next to each other or damn close at the top of the can, I never could understand that.

I am using hose and one way valve from Demond, they use factory fittings, so its just a easy pop on and off set-up. Had to do a hardware store search for the brass fittings for the can. Bob's uses bigger hose which means bigger fittings. Only one complaint, the can needs to be bigger. I don't mind it on the Cobra 'cause it's not a daily driver. The ST won't be a daily till my old Focus dies or when the plates expire in about 18 months.

IMG_0734.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Oh, I decided to wait till June to get the tags, just because... I can. That's why the oil catch can isn't installed yet. Still siting in the driveway (with no state tags) and covered.

Like they used to say on Monty Python...

"and now for something completely different"...

Here's a shot of my next Mustang :-D...

slim stang 14.JPG

Snake Plissken

Established Member
UPDATE: The old Focus saga...

This sucks! The transmission in my 06 Focus is toast! Years ago it was rebuilt under extended drive train warranty because some kid was pestering me to race him in his Honda. So, I did and apparently the transmission didn't like the gear slamming. A day or two later the tranny took a dump. Told the service writer, you got me, I just got off the highway and at the bottom of the ramp it wouldn't go into gear. It was so bad that they called Ford to see if they wanted rebuild or put a new one in. They picked rebuild. Wishing now it would have been new. I believe it's been just under 70.000 miles since rebuild. IMO it should've lasted longer. No abuse this time, oh well...

Looked into a junk yard transmission. Found one that's not crazy expensive, but if I have it out it's smart to throw a new clutch disc/throw-out bearing in too. I don't really have the time now to do the job myself, so I called around for labor prices and it turns out all together (including parts.) i'm looking at a $1,000 or a tad more. Unfortunately, the car just isn't worth it. Time for Craigslist! Maybe I can find somebody that needs a motor. 122,xxx miles that's not bad for 10 and a half years. Take the whole car and drop the motor and get a few bucks for junk when they're done. Or they can take the time and sell parts. Good glass and body panels. I've got some time to let it sit in my driveway, plates expire in Jan. '18

Now on to the new ST...

The ol' ST is coming up on 1,000 miles and I believe I'll change the oil for the first time. After hearing about this oil from a few people over the years I decided do a little research on them. They have a pretty good rep in racing and fleet service. Most people have NEVER heard of them. Don't believe they do the advertising that all the big boys do.

IMG_0938.JPGIMG_0941.JPG

Cost wise it runs as much as some Royal Purples and Amsoil. Not low cost by any means. I'm just really curious to see how well this stuff works. I'll try to use it for as long as I own the ST.

Oh, I bought an aluminum skid plate. Yeah, I know, no need for one, but what the hell I'm bolting one on anyway. The stock is plenty light I'm sure, but it looks like it could get water logged very easily and have problems down the road. Sure, this one will be a little heavier, but I'm not worried about "great" mpg numbers. If so, I wouldn't have bought a ST with a hairdryer on board.

IMG_0953.JPGIMG_0955.JPG

Next some window tinting needs to be done and install of a new stereo (didn't get the premium Sony system) I need HD radio, we have a couple of good HD stations around here. (read: 1960s and '70s R&R) New speakers as well. Thinking about custom install of speakers in the hatch facing forward. I never have anybody in the back seats, so I like to run around with those seats down. Sort of like the old "fastback" look.

Bought the Weathertech floor liners for the front and a piece for the cargo area. The stuff defiantly isn't cheap, but i'm tired of buying the cheap (cost/material) floor mats at the auto parts store only to wear a hole in them a year later. Let's hope the Weathertech last.

Later...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread