Buying a diesel

SGT MERC

Established Member
Could anyone familiar with 2003 Ram 2500 diesels tell me if there are any issues I should be looking for? It's a 6 speed, 5.9 Cummins, 183k miles... interior is immaculate, no rust, no dents and damn near no blemishes in the entire truck, including the bed and tailgate. The tow receiver even looks barely used. They're asking 22k...
685420155.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
The main issue would be leaky injectors. This is the first year for common rail injection if I remember correctly. Ball joints don't last on the AAM front axle. I had an 05. My neighbor still has it to this day. Been a great truck for him!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SGT MERC

Established Member
Thank you. My son is in the Navy now for 4 yrs, just re-enlisted and found the truck. He wants something as a second vehicle for when the weather is bad, Bangor, Washington, but it needs be able to pull his car, a 22 camaro, for when he changes duty stations. He's an MMN3... Does maintenance on the nuclear reactor on a boomer sub.
The main issue would be leaky injectors. This is the first year for common rail injection if I remember correctly. Ball joints don't last on the AAM front axle. I had an 05. My neighbor still has it to this day. Been a great truck for him!

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
It will be a good truck. They aren't the best of quality interior wise. I would bet the adjustable lumbar in the drivers seat in broke. Lol. Easy fix but that's a very common problem as well. The 03-05 model years are my favorite generation of Cummins

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Check the frame under the bed for structural damage from rust. I had a friend who had a nice looking 03 but the frame was roached from rust underneath the bed. Where the frame started to curve after the cab, there was a hole about the size of a gold ball that had formed.

OX1

Established Member
I have an 05 Cummins I got new. I only have 60K, as I only use it for truck duty/towing. As mentioned, look close at the ball joints. Also hub bearings seem to go relatively early. You can still get factory ball joints as of 6 weeks ago (I bought them and last two factory hubs in the country, as they are going to go someday) The factory hubs/bearings are discontinued.

Only real problem I ever had was a VERY light throttle hunting/shudder (1-2 shift) on the 48RE. Look up the Borg Warner solenoid and transducer replacements, and do a band adjustment. That fixed mine up and it shifts perfect now. EDIT: Sorry, just saw it is a 6 speed, so ignore my 48RE info.

I also added a frame mount fuel filter/water sep assembly, so I hope to never have issues with the injectors (which supposedly go bad due to stock filter not being all that great).

20220921_132403.jpg

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
On my '03 Duramax I replaced the upper control arms to units that would accept a bolt in ball joint. It was supposed to help with the geometry with leveled/lifted trucks as well. I don't know if they would last longer, but they would be easier to replace. Not sure if something similar is available for Dodge.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Can't you find a 2011 or newer Powerstroke for a similar price and miles? I feel those are the most over rated trucks out there.

_Snake_

Established Member
The biggest issue with these trucks is the front end IMHO. The steering is notoriously sloppy and prone to wandering, especially with the old Y-style setup. The aftermarket still has a ton of support but be prepared to go after ball joints, tie rod ends, the steering box, drag link, etc.

Here’s where my 03 2500 is as of last month.
D6B3BAB8-2DFD-47FF-95E7-A31E1F9B503A.jpeg

Is that truck a SO or HO 5.9?

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Check the frame under the bed for structural damage from rust. I had a friend who had a nice looking 03 but the frame was roached from rust underneath the bed. Where the frame started to curve after the cab, there was a hole about the size of a gold ball that had formed.

A gold ball?

SGT MERC

Established Member
I do not know. He bought it the day after I started this post. He had it on the highway at 80, he said it drove great. He wanted a stick and found it. All the service records were in the glove box. All front bushings and ball joints were replaced @ 140k miles. New fuel pump @ 95k miles. New injectors @ 100k miles. Everything inside the cab works as well, no blemishes in the leather and the adjustable lumbar even works.
The biggest issue with these trucks is the front end IMHO. The steering is notoriously sloppy and prone to wandering, especially with the old Y-style setup. The aftermarket still has a ton of support but be prepared to go after ball joints, tie rod ends, the steering box, drag link, etc.

Here’s where my 03 2500 is as of last month.
View attachment 1762581

Is that truck a SO or HO 5.9?

_Snake_

Established Member
I do not know. He bought it the day after I started this post. He had it on the highway at 80, he said it drove great. He wanted a stick and found it. All the service records were in the glove box. All front bushings and ball joints were replaced @ 140k miles. New fuel pump @ 95k miles. New injectors @ 100k miles. Everything inside the cab works as well, no blemishes in the leather and the adjustable lumbar even works.

Sounds like he got a really nice truck! The 6 speed manual is actually a highly sought after option.

beau t

Established Member
in 03 it should of had a carter (i think) fuel pump on the back of the filter housing, w 180xxx miles its prob on it second one unless someone did the upgrade where its moved to the tank (factory upgrade w wiring harness) anyhow if its not converted this would be my 1st mod - - or going to a FASS setup like someone posted earlier. Mine made it to 88xxx before failing no other issues others than a weak hydraulic clutch issue and ball joints and u-joints.

Users who are viewing this thread