BUy Back

03cobra34

Established Member
I took my car in to have the head relpaced and they found one of my pistons was scored. For the past three weeks the dealer has been trying to get a new piston sent.Long story short it's been over a month no parts and now they bring up "buy Back". Has anyone had their car bought back? Any one know any details on this process? :bash:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Been there done that. I fought Ford for THREE months on a problem I had with my 02GT. They eventually went to the "Buy Back" option.

03cobra34

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Been there done that. I fought Ford for THREE months on a problem I had with my 02GT. They eventually went to the "Buy Back" option.

Did you get a new car?Did you have to pay anything out of pocket??

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I went through it with my 00 Saleen. It took 3 months and a shitload of paperwork. If the dealer works with you, you might be able to turn it around quickly. How old is the car? How many miles.

You don't have to pay anything out of pocket other than a small fee for the milage you put on the car. for you car it will be something like 30 cents a mile. Other than that they give you everything back. Sales tax, gas guzzler tax, etc.

03cobra34

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I went through it with my 00 Saleen. It took 3 months and a shitload of paperwork. If the dealer works with you, you might be able to turn it around quickly. How old is the car? How many miles.

You don't have to pay anything out of pocket other than a small fee for the milage you put on the car. for you car it will be something like 30 cents a mile. Other than that they give you everything back. Sales tax, gas guzzler tax, etc.

I bought the car july of last year,it has just over 10k miles on it. The dealership is the one who brought up BUY BACK so hopefully it doesn't take to long.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Very little to no paperwork. Yes I got them to buy the 02GT back at full MSRP- and I had the check put towards the 03 Cobra that I'm driving now

03cobra34

Established Member
Very little to no paperwork. Yes I got them to buy the 02GT back at full MSRP- and I had the check put towards the 03 Cobra that I'm driving now

Did you have to pay taxes and registration again?how long does the process take?Also I put 10k down, how do they work that?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
No. You pay tax on the difference. You do not have to register the car again, the dealer does it for you. Are you in contact with your Regional Rep? Or is the dealer handleing all of this?
The whole thing took three months. From when I said I want a new car, faught them over it, to getting it completed. In actuality, the whole "paperwork" process takes two weeks.

03cobra34

Established Member
No. You pay tax on the difference. You do not have to register the car again, the dealer does it for you. Are you in contact with your Regional Rep? Or is the dealer handleing all of this?
The whole thing took three months. From when I said I want a new car, faught them over it, to getting it completed. In actuality, the whole "paperwork" process takes two weeks.

Whats the difference between buy back and having it lemoned? Are they the same thing?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
No. A buy back is basically this...Ford says they are going to purchase the car back, and they cut you a check. If you lemon the car, be prepared for a very long wait. You have to go to court, fill out A LOT of paperwork, and so on. Who is handeling the problem, the dealer or the Regional Rep?

2003 Cobra

Established Member
The lemon law process, at least here in California, does not necessarily require you to go to court. I've been through the process with Ford. The manufacturer must be notified that you are choosing to exercise your rights under the lemon law. The manufacturer must respond in 30 days. The manufacturer can choose to buy back the car or deny the claim and defend themselves. If a reasonable settlement can't be worked out with the manufacturer you can arbitrate the matter and if that fails you can always go to court as your last chance.

03cobra34

Established Member
No. A buy back is basically this...Ford says they are going to purchase the car back, and they cut you a check. If you lemon the car, be prepared for a very long wait. You have to go to court, fill out A LOT of paperwork, and so on. Who is handeling the problem, the dealer or the Regional Rep?

It will be the dealership when or if it happens. Like I said in the very first thread they have just brought it up.I have to wait until Monday until I can find out more. I just wanted to know all the details I could before I went in there. So any more info you have would be greatly appreciated!!

MTI LS1

I've heard the "buy back" option is rather simple, however I have never been involved in one. Is a scored piston the only thing wrong with the car? It seems to buy it back the car would have to be just screwed everywhere.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Well in my case, they replaced the engine in my car, and I said that was not acceptable. I wanted a new car. The dealer said no. At that point I asked to speak to the Regional customer service rep. for my area. I then spoke to him, told him the situation, and expressed my concern about purchasing a new car and it needing a new engine so soon. After having many long "Polite" arguements and conversations, we were able to get the ball rolling on a buy back. (forgive the poor spelling, im at work and typing fast lol)

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I had an 01 Lightning that pulled to the right. Ford could never fix it. I was told by the dealership to have Ford replace it. I called the 800 Customer Service number and started the paperwork. It took 3 months. Ford issued a check to the dealership for what I paid for it including the extened warrenty I bought and about $1500 in add ons. I could buy anything or just have it replaced

I purchased an 02 Lighting. It actually was not that hard. It help alot if you have the dealership behind you. Theres also an arbitration form in your clove box. Fill that out and send it in. That will start the paper work and the 800 Customer Service rep will ask if you have done that. If you don't have the form, go by a dealership and ask for one.

Arbitration is a seperate company that gets involved in your problem, whether its replaced or fix. Similar to the lemon law. You need to get them involved to do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread