Busted Ring: Build Thread

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Well it finally happened... After several years of abuse and NMRA stickers, I began to develop a rattle, what sounded almost obviously like piston slap. I began the tear down today and discovered that I have at least one busted ring, and at least one scarred cylinder.

At this point, I cannot define a root cause for the failure. I guess I could point fingers towards the tune / tuner, although I think it's simply due to too much compression.
file-9.jpg

file-8.jpg

file-3.jpg

Cylinder Head doesn't appear to be damaged
file-1.jpg

Piston to cylinder wall contact scarring:

file.jpg

Seems to have had some pretty beefy rods lol
file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-6.jpg

Most of the parts needed can be found online. This particular model is a 919xxxx so almost everything you need can be bought.

Compression Rings are ~$9 Per. I thought I would try to hone the cylinders a bit, and rebuild it with new rings and see how it does. The Piston / Cylinder / Rod kit is $66.09, which is a bit more than what I want to spend..

The way the crankshaft and "block" is made, I think if a guy had a second compressor, he could mate the two together to build a v4. i'm going to look around ebay to see what I can find lol
file-10.jpg

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
I was confused as hell for a minute. Congrats, you slyly pulled the sheet over my eyes!

Could turn into a cool project.

T76 Mach

Established Member
2 years ago mine looked like that.Mystery oil does wonders been on its last leg for 2 years.I dont know what that is in compressor years,but shes still gettin the job done :)

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Lol..

I've ordered new rings, and plan to try to clean up the cylinders a bit and see how it goes.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Funny man!!! When I was looking at the pictures, I kept saying.. "WTF is that". :D Did not look like a 4v motor to me..

gabe1530

Banned
lol, same here. i was pretty confused at first, especially since i read the description first and you talked about the tune and a lot of abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread