Burning Oil?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Hey Guys,

The car is just starting to burn a bit of oil. We are running the 5w20 Joe Gibbs oil. We drove the car and after 120 miles there was about 1 teaspoon of oil in the passenger side catch can. Would it hurt to run a little thicker oil? Has anyone else had this issue? The car has 20,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

wr450

Established Member
Pal if it really burned 1/2 in 180 miles u got something else going on how many miles on it have u ever overheated the car or ran it low on oil

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Pal if it really burned 1/2 in 180 miles u got something else going on how many miles on it have u ever overheated the car or ran it low on oil

Never Pal. The car has always been taken care of very well. Oil changed every 3,000 miles and other maintenance like that. Never been abused.

wr450

Established Member
Whenever i change my oil i pull the dipstick the next morning cold thats the baseline i use for my oil level going forward i always check it cold junk that jlt and get the oem ford racing one sometimes checking your oil on a warm motor it just doesnt show consistently on the stick

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Whenever i change my oil i pull the dipstick the next morning cold thats the baseline i use for my oil level going forward i always check it cold junk that jlt and get the oem ford racing one sometimes checking your oil on a warm motor it just doesnt show consistently on the stick

But nobody has answered my question. What does the Catch can have to do with the motor burning oil. The catch can is doing its job by catching the oil before it goes into the manifold. Should we run thicker oil?

wr450

Established Member
It doesnt these cars should come with one like the boss does i mean yea thicker oil might reduce consumption but thats kinda a bandaid try keeping an eye on your oil level by checking it before the 1st startup of the day or however long its sets I'd be surprised if its using that much oil the oil really sets on the dipstick better if u check it cold whenever i pull my dipstick warm the oil is kinda all over i dont know maybe u allready check it cold just trying to help

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
It doesnt these cars should come with one like the boss does i mean yea thicker oil might reduce consumption but thats kinda a bandaid try keeping an eye on your oil level by checking it before the 1st startup of the day or however long its sets I'd be surprised if its using that much oil the oil really sets on the dipstick better if u check it cold whenever i pull my dipstick warm the oil is kinda all over i dont know maybe u allready check it cold just trying to help

We do check it cold. The car has never been to the track or to the dyno. It isn't beat on. It has just started burning oil and it has never done this before. It is always right on the full line right after we change the oil. Like I said before the car is taken care of very well.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
If you are 100% sure your car is using oil then I would start by pulling the plugs and doing a compression and leak down. If its burning as much as you think you will be able to look at the plugs and see which cylinder is.

Catch cans don't stop a car from using oil, they simply catch the oil from the PCV system before it enters the intake.

JDos1

Established Member
Or use the Ecoboost F150 PCV valve.

If you burned 1/2 quart in 180 miles you have a major problem that isn't PCV system related. Check for leaks. If you burned 1/2 quart in that short a distance you'd be seeing smoke in the exhaust.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I was under the impression that the coyote only had one actual valve, and that it was on the passenger side? Also, that you had to remove the check valve in order to run breathers?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
We just changed the oil today and swapped back to Motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic. That's what we used to run in it so we just swapped back to that. We haven't changed the oil for about a year, but this change has only been about 1,300 miles. We also pulled the oil filter apart and there was no metal in there.

Users who are viewing this thread