Bumpsteer kit

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I can't get my alignment right and I was told I needed a bumpsteer kit. Has anyone tried the one from LFP and is this what I need?

stabilizers.jpg

Morgan

Established Member
I can't get my alignment right and I was told I needed a bumpsteer kit. Has anyone tried the one from LFP and is this what I need?

stabilizers.jpg

The product you've pictured effects steering feel/ feedback and will not address bump steer. To my knowledge, there is no bump steer kit for our trucks.

For reference, this is a Baer bump steer kit for a Mustang:

136-tierods.jpg

And an explanation...
bump steer

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
yea, I stumbled upon a thread on another site with a guy asking for people to post up so that way the vendors could get a kit together for us because he was told by several that there was not enough demand for one.

What should I do? :shrug:

voodoocustoms

Established Member
find a race shop in your area and have them build one. Make sure they truely understand how to set up front suspensions.

Are you having trouble setting up the static alinment or are you haveing drivability issues?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Static alignment isn't affected by bumpsteer. Go to a shop that actually knows what they are talking about.

You need a caster, camber or toe adjustment. Someone who actually has a clue will be able to adjust this for you properly with either new shim plates or cam bolts on the upper control arms or can change the toe with the tie rod ends. Beyond that should not be necessary unless the truck has been wrecked and something is way out of place.

I guess they could be having a problem if the truck has a bunch of miles and the control arm bushings, ball joints or hub are worn out and need replacement as well.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
No drivability issues. I've got cam bolts already.

I had it done after lowering it, then when everything settled my steering wheel was off. I went back to the same guy (buddy at Ford) and now he's telling me I need a bumpsteer kit. It feels fine, but I don't want to wear out tires either.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
No drivability issues. I've got cam bolts already.

I had it done after lowering it, then when everything settled my steering wheel was off. I went back to the same guy (buddy at Ford) and now he's telling me I need a bumpsteer kit. It feels fine, but I don't want to wear out tires either.

Your "buddy at Ford" doesn't know what a bumpsteer kit actually does then. Take the truck to a good mechanic. You just need the tie rods adjusted to center up the steering wheel. We call it "clear vision" on race cars, you adjust one tie rod in and one tie rod out to move the steering wheel back to center. If there is actually an alignment problem it will be adjusted with the cam bolts or tie rods, end of story.

FWIW, my truck has a 3-4 drop (mods in sig) and I take it to road courses. Cam bolts are all I have for front suspension adjustment and the truck is fine. I've never seen a bumpsteer kit on a Lightning, someone somewhere may have one but I haven't seen it and I've driven and seen many Lightnings drive on a road course race track.

Last edited:

voodoocustoms

Established Member
go to a shop that knows what they are doing. As stated before bumpsteer does not come into play at staic alignment, nor does it have any effect on the steering wheel being staight.

Jarbolt01

01 Whiner
Established Member
I used the shop on Golder n 31st when I did my 66 stang that had lowered and he did a great job. He was one the few that I know that still does a manual alignment as well as digital.

Users who are viewing this thread