Bumper gap Elimination How-To

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
Here is a How-To to get rid of that huge bumper gap that all Lightnings have.

First... You don't have to remove the tires to do this. I found it easier to turn the wheels this way to get access to all of the bolts on each side.

Picture+050.jpg

Second... Locate the rubber dust cover but the bumper (above the frame rails), There is a plastic push pin you have to remove then just push the rubber piece towards the center of the truck to move it out of the way.

Picture+045.jpg

Third... There are 4 bolts and nuts that hold the bumper to the frame, they are 21mm. You just need to loosen the 21mm nuts to allow you some movement of the bumper.

Picture+047.jpg

Once you do this, I used a pry bar to lift the bumper up. It will fit under the bracket the the bumper is bolted to as seen in the pic above.

Once you are sure that the bumper is as high as it will go tighten the top nut on just one side, then go to the other side and repeat the process. Once the bumper is level then go ahead and tighten the other 2 nuts. (this step may take a few times to get the bumper level)

Forth... if you want a little less gap between the grille and bumper there are 6 more 13mm bolts the you can loosen to raise the bumper cover. There are 4 bolts (2 on each side) located next to the bumper mount bolts that you just worked with as seen in this pic.

Picture+048.jpg

The other 2 bolts are in front of the H/E as seen in this pic. I found the easiest way to get to these bolts was from under the truck. But if you want to remove the lower grille that would give you better access to the bolts.

Picture+049.jpg

Just loosen all 6 the repeat the same process that was described in the steps to raise the bumper.

Don't forget to put the rubber dust covers back in place when you are all finished.

When you are all done you should have about a 3/4" gap under each headlight. Keep in mind the the gap under the fenders will be a little tighter. The finish product should look simular to this.

Picture+051.jpg

Now that your finished, grab yourself a nice cold frosty beverage and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :beer:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread