Bumper Cover busted tabs

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
So, this happened. Have we figured out a repair for this or is it $800 bumper cover time?

JB plastiweld did not work.

IMG_9349.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9349.JPG
    IMG_9349.JPG
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 758

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I have repaired worse.
http://3mcollision.com/how-to/body-department#
scroll down to plastic tab repair. pretty straight forward. It will cost you probably 75 bucks to fix it yourself and then you will need to paint the bumper or you could pay a shop 600 to do it for you. That clear 3m stuff is bad ass, but it cures in like 15 seconds so you gotta work quick. click on the process chart for the correct materials you will need. Your local auto paint supply store will have everything you need and will probably hook you up if you take your bumper down there and ask them for help.

Last edited:

masterjr33

Established Member
mine was busted when someone tapped me. just the tabs on the drivers side.
the insurance company put me a new bumper on and painted it. mystichrome baby,.

Zemedici

Established Member
I have repaired worse.
scroll down to plastic tab repair. pretty straight forward. It will cost you probably 75 bucks to fix it yourself and then you will need to paint the bumper or you could pay a shop 600 to do it for you. That clear 3m stuff is bad ass, but it cures in like 15 seconds so you gotta work quick. click on the process chart for the correct materials you will need. Your local auto paint supply store will have everything you need and will probably hook you up if you take your bumper down there and ask them for help.

good god what?

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
I have repaired worse.

I'd like to thank mavericks-03svt. This guy knows what he's talking about and saved me hundreds of dollars. You're awesome!

For others that need to fix these tabs, here's what I did. My skill level at doing this type of repair is advanced idiot - meaning I had no idea what I was doing. I just followed the 3M instructions and took my time. I couldn't make it worse.

I ordered from Amazon a 50ml gun, 3M 4240 semi rigid adhesive (I got the slower setting one since I'm a n00b at this), Adhesion Promoter, a roll of the Plastic Contour Sheet and 12 extra tips for the adhesive.

I drilled holes in what was left of the tabs on the cover and a couple in the old tabs. I sprayed adhesive promotor on the broken tabs and the cover (make sure to tape off the area around the tabs so you don't overspray the cover!) I put adhesive on the pink sheet and dropped the tab on it, then added more adhesive on top. I then matched the tab up to the cover and then applied pressure to contour the adhesive then let it set for an hour. Once the chemicals mix, they get warm due to the chemical reaction. wear gloves.

kddWTv0.jpg

I probably should have just tossed the broken off tabs and made new ones with this adhesive, but this seemed to work well. You'll go through a tip for each application as this stuff gives you 50 seconds of working time before it hardens. Once you get one tab set, the tip is filled with mixed adhesive and unusable. I'm glad I bought extras!

liKgPZk.jpg

Before sanding. It isn't beautiful, but no one sees them anyway.

ExEYql3.jpg

After a bit of sanding. I used screws instead of rivets to attach the metal piece to the cover. I ended up redoing the left tab as it wasn't as well done as the others.

I test fit a few times, sanded down the tabs a bit more, adjusted the new holes in the tabs and got the fit right.

nk3ygtk.jpg

Back in business thanks to mavericks-03svt!

Last edited:

MachR1

Terminated Mach
Established Member
Bringing this back from the dead.

Last night I hit a piece of tire left in the highway and it ripped the passenger side tabs completely. Luckily that's the only damage I could find. So after some searching I found this thread. I am going to be attempting this on my own and like the original poster, I have no experience haha.

This is the link to 3Ms DIY
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/BodyshopSolutions/-/HowTo/RepairATab/?MDR=true

This is a link to a 3M YouTube video showing how to do this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQtroDoX8fc

Here is another 3M video with a lot more detail.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=33w3FcMrfSI

Below I will include the part numbers from what I ordered off amazon.

Parts:
3M 34240 Semi-rigid plastic repair 50ml $18.60
3M 05907 Polyolefin adhesive promoter 12oz $37.52
3M 38191 Static mixing nozzle 50ml cartridge (12 pack) $12.20
3M 04903 5"x12' Plastic contouring sheet roll $13.30
3M 08190 Performance manual applicator (glue gun) for 50ml cartridge $60.00

Once I get all the supplies I will update this thread with a little more detail and pictures. I hope this helps somebody else as I know this is a common issue. Will keep you posted!

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
use the clear adhesive for tab repairs
Apply 3M™ Superfast Plastic Adhesive 55045

It cures fast so you better work quick or you will be sanding down and doing it again.

MachR1

Terminated Mach
Established Member
Any reason to go with the super fast over the semi rigid? Flexibility? I wondered if the semi rigid would be too stiff.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
super fast is designed to rebuild tabs that are missing
per 3m
Used for rebuilding tabs and fixing broken eyelets. Has excellent wide gap filling capabilities. Will not run or sag.

per 3m the semi rigid is for

3M™ Semi-Rigid Plastic Repair is designed for bonding, back side reinforcing and some cosmetic filling of many plastic parts. It bonds to plastic, fiberglass, ceramic, metal and most substrates. For strength reinforcement, use with 04904 Plastic repair reinforcement tape.

the semi rigid will work like it did for djc but I would use the super fast. It is the best thing for repairing broken or missing tabs. that semi rigid is really for patching holes in bumpers and reinforcing the back of the bumper.

before you start the repairs watch those videos several times. It is pretty easy to repair those tabs. most people have not idea how easy it can be if you pay attention and follow every step exactly as 3m recommends. That super fast works wonders just squirt it on work it to the correct thickness and then drill your hold and make it in to a tab. pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

MachR1

Terminated Mach
Established Member
Thanks for the info, I immediately ordered the fast dry just to be safe. I'll use that and see how they turn out. Awesome research on your behalf, thanks again.

I feel like someone will thank us one day haha. The videos make it look very easy. I plan on doing it exactly the same way. Most of the material arrived yesterday, so I should be updating this with pictures and (fingers crossed) new tabs and a fixed bumper!!

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
hells yea dude, you will be able to get it done. Its not hard. I am just an raggedy old insurance adjuster that have been in body shops for years and I picked up a few secrets along the way. the key on those tabs is the thickness of the newly made tab. make sure you are close, better to be a little thick so you can sand to the correct thickness versus being to thin and having to add more material. If you don't get the thickness of the new tab your bumper won't match up with the fender properly.

Post up your results. Can't wait to see how happy you are with your own repaired bumper.

as a side note, I need to make a tutorial for bumper repairs one of these days like I did for the 3rd brake light repair and the surf is good in waco..... we just gotta go to the airport or drive a while.LOL

Last edited:

MachR1

Terminated Mach
Established Member
I bet it's a bit of a drive haha

So I got it all done yesterday. It was very simple. I used the fast dry like you recommended and it was awesome. I had no issues with using a dremel to sand it down and get the right thickness. Thanks again for your help man!

Users who are viewing this thread