Bummer

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Automotive News said:
DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. has scrapped plans to build a pickup version of the Bronco off-road SUV, according to two sources knowledgeable about the decision.

The automaker planned to introduce a Bronco-based pickup in 2024 but in recent months has informed suppliers the program was canceled, the sources told Automotive News. It was to be built at the same plant that assembles as the Bronco SUV and Ranger pickup in Wayne, Mich.

Ford spokesman Mike Levine declined to comment on the company's future product portfolio but noted that "we continue to see strong demand for our full portfolio of rugged trucks and SUVs, including Bronco-brand utilities and our bestselling Ford truck lineup."

The company has never confirmed plans for a Bronco pickup.

The new vehicle would have given Ford three pickups smaller than the F-150 — in addition to the Ranger and upcoming Maverick — and a direct competitor to the Jeep Gladiator. However, it would have greatly overlapped and likely hurt sales of the similarly sized Ranger, which Ford plans to continue investing in with an upcoming 2023 redesign and expected Raptor variant.

Stretched lineup
Adding what would have been another gasoline-powered entry in its lineup also undermines a company goal: to generate 40 percent of global sales with electric vehicles by 2030, a target Ford announced in May. The company has greatly expanded electrification plans over the past year, including backing a nonbinding federal target of emissions-free vehicles representing half of sales by 2030.

BRONCOPICKUP-01_i.jpg

FORD
A 1966 Bronco with a bed in Ford's styling studio.
Still, executives have indicated the family will expand beyond the two-door Bronco, four-door Bronco and Bronco Sport crossover offered now. Recent spy photos have shown what appear to be a Bronco performance variant and a potential hybrid model under development.

bQD?w=768.jpg
CONTENT FROM IHS MARKIT (MAY 2020 V2)
Automotive Research and Analysis
IHS Markit downwardly revised its forecasts for global light vehicle sales and production as the impact COVID-19 impact has depressed demand.
READ MORE

Early reception to the new vehicles has been positive. Ford has sold 62,820 Bronco Sports and 4,078 Broncos in the U.S. this year through July, though early builds of the Bronco have been plagued by problems with roofs produced by the supplier Webasto.

BRONCO-02_i_1.jpg

FORD
An rear exteriro view of the 1966 Bronco with a bed.
Ford has sold Bronco pickups in the past.

When the SUV was introduced with the 1966 model year, it came in three body styles, including a "sports utility" that featured a closed cabin with an open bed, with a promotional brochure noting its "double-walled rear area has over 32 cubic feet of space for your camping or other gear."

The "roadster" model also had an open bed with no roof over the cabin and optional rear seats.

Ford cancels Bronco-based pickup

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Im guessing the demand wasnt there

I hope that's the case but given Ford's wokeness lately I wouldn't be surprised they did it to focus their resources on more Cuck-e's and the like.
On a side note when I was in West Virginia last weekend I seen a new 4 door Bronco and I have to say it was pretty damn sweet. I wouldn't mind having one in that new green. But I'll probably get a new truck instead.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ugghh... Ranger. I know the Bronco is based off the Ranger platform, but Bronco is so much better looking. Plus for a truck, its too close to a V6 F-150 price wise I think and its smaller.

An off road focused Bronco based truck would have been titties and be a serious rival to Gladiator.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not surprised. It is doubtful there would be enough interest in the truck versioned Bronco. Ford has a full slate of truck models already. The Bronco truck would be a nice niche segment, but it projected sales didn't look great, why build it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not surprised. It is doubtful there would be enough interest in the truck versioned Bronco. Ford has a full slate of truck models already. The Bronco truck would be a nice niche segment, but it projected sales didn't look great, why build it.

We've had all kinds of people pull their reservations to hold off for a truck variant.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I guess their going with the Ranger instead of a Bronco Pickup. More demand?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It probably has more to do with the fact that Ford has their hands full with supplier delays at the moment. In addition to the chip shortage, Webasto can't build the Bronco tops correctly. Why put resources into another variant if they can't even build the existing model?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@13COBRA , right now what are the major options that would hold up production?

Like what Bronco features should one avoid to get their Bronco built the fastest?

Wife and I may pursue a Bronco 4 door afterall. Base 4 door softop with Sasquatch and the v6 in that new Eruption Green. We may consider the 4 cyl for its inline design over the V so if thats more available, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread