Bullitt gear swap 4.09 or 4.56

HI RPM

Established Member
Have any Bullitt owners swapped out their gears?

I am a current 2013 Boss owner. The new Bullitt and PP2 cars have caught my attention.
As I read thru the specs I see the updated 2018+ mt82 D4 ratios are quite different than mine.
I realize the new engines have more torque, (420 vs 380) but they still seem to be geared to high.

The tight gearing in the Boss is what makes it fun on the street and backroads where I spend my time driving. I don't take it to the track.
The 2018+ cars (according to a speed/ratio calculator) would need a 4.30 gear set to be comparable. The 4.09/4.10 set is still not quite enough (but a big step in the right direction) and the 4.56 set makes 1st gear almost to steep. Sadly I don't see a 4.30 gear set available.

Any info or insight about the required tuning and drivability would be appreciated.

The ideal situation would be to purchase a new Bullitt or PP2 car, have the dealer swap the gears with FPP's before delivery and leave there with the factory new car warranty intact. Thanks.

Last edited:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I just picked up a 2019 bullitt. Awesome car. I feel the same way - needs gears. I asked the dealer at the table if I buy the gears, will they install and not void warrantee, they didnt want any part of it. Obviously not a deal breaker for me. Looking at that IRS rear axle, I have a feeling its pricey to do!

HI RPM

Established Member
Dealers are funny like that.

There are some Ford dealers that will instal your choice of supercharger (as long as you use there conservative tune/ boost levels) on a brand new car, keeping your warranty and letting you finance the whole wad thru Ford motor credit if you desire.

There are Dodge dealers doing the same blower installations on new Challengers and Chargers.

There are Jeep dealers installing lift kits with custom wheels and monster 35 or 37 inch tall tires, on brand new Wranglers. All with full warranty and new car financing.

I guess it all comes down to the individual dealer.

I do see that the IRS is more of a pain in the ass to swap gears in, but still. I would think that there has to be a dealer out there that would gladly do it and charge you accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread