Built Short Block and Eaton?

DexwarL

Established Member
What kind of HP#'s would you see with a built short block and a stock eaton, just curious to know from guys that have this setup?

Thanks Guys

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
What kind of HP#'s would you see with a built short block and a stock eaton, just curious to know from guys that have this setup?

Thanks Guys

Same #'s. Shortblock will not "make" HP unless your current one is having issues.

Add ported heads/upgraded cams to see increases.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
now heres a better question... i know the number is gunna be very very low. and in no way am i trying to deter built motor sales or anything

but as we all know rotional mass kills hp. how much extra weight is added by going to a better rod and piston set up? and how much does that added rotional mass drop HP?

junioRace

Established Member
I would think the avenue to go with a built short block if you still have the Eaton is to add nitrous........??

FordFanStan

Established Member
There is power to be made with just a short block, maybe not an extreme amount but some power, yes. The tolerances and machine work from the factory are not even close to the aftermarket. As Bob said, the new c/r norm is around 9.0:1 and that will help with power right there too. Also if you tore apart your engine to get the shortblock built, that mean on reassembly the cams could be timed and then degreed and 90% sure you would gain a little power there as well, and could even throw in some arfermarket valve springs for cheap and help too... Stan

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I dont know if you were interested in getting a short block. But I would save up for a long block if I were you. A lot of places have some pretty good deals on them, believe it or not you get a lot for what your paying for.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
I'm running a DMP built long block and a ported Eaton and made 486/600 with a 10# lower pulley. I make the same HP # with a 6#er but less torque (486/562). HP peaks at about 5300 rpm with the 6# but at only 4900 with a 10#er. Clearly the blower cannot push enough to feed a built motor, but with 600lb-ft of torque it is still a lot of fun to drive. You will not get that much with just a built short block though, the power is from the heads/cams.

ecoastkid

Established Member
I'm running a DMP built long block and a ported Eaton and made 486/600 with a 10# lower pulley. I make the same HP # with a 6#er but less torque (486/562). HP peaks at about 5300 rpm with the 6# but at only 4900 with a 10#er. Clearly the blower cannot push enough to feed a built motor, but with 600lb-ft of torque it is still a lot of fun to drive. You will not get that much with just a built short block though, the power is from the heads/cams.

What head cams package do you have?

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
DMP stage 3 heads and stage 2 cams. I have all the bolt ons too, e-fans, AFCO H/E, 255 pumps, 60#inj, SBTB, C&L, headers, 3" catless exh, ported lower intake, CAI, etc. This thing would be a monster with a 2.6 or 3.4 blower.

ecoastkid

Established Member
DMP stage 3 heads and stage 2 cams. I have all the bolt ons too, e-fans, AFCO H/E, 255 pumps, 60#inj, SBTB, C&L, headers, 3" catless exh, ported lower intake, CAI, etc. This thing would be a monster with a 2.6 or 3.4 blower.

My combo will be very similar except for the e-fans and CAI...My goal is around 450-475...I think I'll be in there.

Have you run this combo at the track?...if so, whats your times?

Users who are viewing this thread