Built rearend question

Planter

Banned
I tried to search for my question, but didnt find exactly what I was looking for, so asking here.

I have an 04 Mach 1. In the past I had an 02 gt with a 8.8" SRA with forged moser 31 spline moser axles, timken bearing kit, 31 spline cobra LSD, and a reinforced diff cover. I know those are only good to like 600-700 rwhp at the most.

Can you build a built 8.8" rearend capable of holding 1000 hp without having to upgrade to a spool? or do you have to make the jump up to a 9"?

KEVINS

Established Member
It depends on how hard the suspension will shock the rearend on whether the carrier will break. When I was researching carriers for my car I got a lot of people that replied saying they have run mid 8's with the Tracloc and 31 spline BUT they weren't shocking the tires that hard. On the flip side of this there are people that have broke them running 11's. But to answer your question, yes, they can be built to handle the power.

ks

Planter

Banned
It depends on how hard the suspension will shock the rearend on whether the carrier will break. When I was researching carriers for my car I got a lot of people that replied saying they have run mid 8's with the Tracloc and 31 spline BUT they weren't shocking the tires that hard. On the flip side of this there are people that have broke them running 11's. But to answer your question, yes, they can be built to handle the power.

ks

can you explain a bit more what you meanby how hard the suspension will shock?

Three21

Established Member
can you explain a bit more what you meanby how hard the suspension will shock?

Will you be launching at the track on slicks? Do you have solid bushings?

If it's mainly a street car look into a Detroit True-Trac or even possibly a locker. The True-Trac I have has been very reliable. It is very streetable and not very noisy with no worries of wearing any clutches out. I'm not a fan of spools on the street. At 1000hp I wouldn't stick 31 spline axles back in, go 33 or if it sees a lot of track duty maybe even 35s. LPW Ulitmate diff case is great and you can add axle braces. Weld up the axle tubes and either use Ford 9in ends or C-clip eliminators (if you want to run slicks at the track).

The 8.8 can be made pretty stout, but you could also save yourself a lot of time and effort and swap in a 9in.

Planter

Banned
Will you be launching at the track on slicks? Do you have solid bushings?

If it's mainly a street car look into a Detroit True-Trac or even possibly a locker. The True-Trac I have has been very reliable. It is very streetable and not very noisy with no worries of wearing any clutches out. I'm not a fan of spools on the street. At 1000hp I wouldn't stick 31 spline axles back in, go 33 or if it sees a lot of track duty maybe even 35s. LPW Ulitmate diff case is great and you can add axle braces. Weld up the axle tubes and either use Ford 9in ends or C-clip eliminators (if you want to run slicks at the track).

The 8.8 can be made pretty stout, but you could also save yourself a lot of time and effort and swap in a 9in.

I'm not really a track person so to speak. I'm more about cruising through the mountains and s-curves and autocross, road course, and circle track type stuff than I am drag racing.

I'm thinking of getting the Cushman 5.0 stroker mod 1000 hp shortblock at some point. Not sure if I will take it a 1000 hp or not. Was just curious about how much power the rearend can/will handle.

thanks for the reply. :beer:

Planter

Banned
At 1000hp I wouldn't stick 31 spline axles back in, go 33 or if it sees a lot of track duty maybe even 35s. LPW Ulitmate diff case is great and you can add axle braces. Weld up the axle tubes and either use Ford 9in ends or C-clip eliminators (if you want to run slicks at the track).

can you go to 33 or 35 splines without having to run a spool differential?

Three21

Established Member
The Detroit True-trac has options for 31, 33 and 35 spline axles IIRC. You will hate the spool if you do any type of twisties. No sense in 35 spline axles if you're not doing drag strip duty.

If you're not running at the drag strip and are not likely to run slicks I wouldn't bother with extra bracing or C-clip eliminators. Welding up the axle tubes would be cheap insurance though.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'm not really a track person so to speak. I'm more about cruising through the mountains and s-curves and autocross, road course, and circle track type stuff than I am drag racing.

I'm thinking of getting the Cushman 5.0 stroker mod 1000 hp shortblock at some point. Not sure if I will take it a 1000 hp or not. Was just curious about how much power the rearend can/will handle.

thanks for the reply. :beer:

If you are serious about wanting to focus the car on auto-x or road racing, you shouldn't be considering anything near 1000hp for the new edge chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread