Built motor guys step on in

Streetpwr281

Established Member
We will be doing the assembly so that will cost $0

Ok if your doing the R&R of the engine and handling assembly of the short block clearly that will easily save $2500 - $3500. You might make your $5k budget. I would do cams in this scenario. Bullet Racing will custom spec mild NSR cams for your specific usage/needs for ~ $1300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boduke0220

Established Member
Ok if your doing the R&R of the engine and handling assembly of the short block clearly that will easily save $2500 - $3500. You might make your $5k budget. I would do cams in this scenario. Bullet Racing will custom spec mild NSR cams for your specific usage/needs for ~ $1300.

That’s what I am thinking as well. Also going with a Mantic clutch!

Streetpwr281

Established Member
That’s what I am thinking as well. Also going with a Mantic clutch!

The clutch scares me more than cams or built engine. Mine being a daily driver I’ve heard many unhappy w aftermarket clutches either due to install/failure issues or simply the drivability degradation. I’ll probably try to run a stock 13/14 clutch right up to 900rwhp on the street.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
First the block needs to be inspected to see if a slight hone will be possible. If cylinders out of round or not enough plasma coating/liner available, you're stuck running it as is or doing full liners. Good news is that the plasma PTWA is usually robust.
Second is that I personally don't like NSR cams in a boosted application.
Third is that unless you're drag racing from a dig, the stock clutch will hold especially if you do a rear gear swap. The money for a clutch can buy a 3.73-4.10 swap. My tuner runs 930rwhp through a stock clutch (even on 3.31s) but only roll races.
Last, I think you already mentioned it, but adding compression is a great idea if you're running E85 or race fuel.
Good luck man.
-J

boduke0220

Established Member
First the block needs to be inspected to see if a slight hone will be possible. If cylinders out of round or not enough plasma coating/liner available, you're stuck running it as is or doing full liners. Good news is that the plasma PTWA is usually robust.
Second is that I personally don't like NSR cams in a boosted application.
Third is that unless you're drag racing from a dig, the stock clutch will hold especially if you do a rear gear swap. The money for a clutch can buy a 3.73-4.10 swap. My tuner runs 930rwhp through a stock clutch (even on 3.31s) but only roll races.
Last, I think you already mentioned it, but adding compression is a great idea if you're running E85 or race fuel.
Good luck man.
-J

That's Impressive. I generally run a basic nitto street tire of some sort so maybe mine will last. I think a 3.73 would be a good gear for the street.

I found a set of Diamond pistons that are Flat tops, should put my in the 10's for Compression. car will be on E85 full time unless I take it on a trip or something. These Pistons are around $260/ea so not cheap. But should be worth it

Most likely going to wait until December to tear it apart, so if something does come up the funds will be there to take care of it.

I am leaning away from the cams, and if I am keeping stock clutch I may put that money towards a Port from Jason or BPS.

The clutch scares me more than cams or built engine. Mine being a daily driver I’ve heard many unhappy w aftermarket clutches either due to install/failure issues or simply the drivability degradation. I’ll probably try to run a stock 13/14 clutch right up to 900rwhp on the street.

Ironically the first GT500 I ever drove was a 13 with L&M cams and an RXT. I ended up stalling it so much it went into limp mode lol. I don't know how the owner drives it but theres no way I could daily that. I heard good things about mantic in the Coyote world but may hold off until the clutch actually fails

fearthesnake

Established Member
That's Impressive. I generally run a basic nitto street tire of some sort so maybe mine will last. I think a 3.73 would be a good gear for the street.

I am leaning away from the cams, and if I am keeping stock clutch I may put that money towards a Port from Jason or BPS.

3.73 with wider rims and 305 tire in Nitto NT05 was the best upgrade for my car period!!

Reading this thread wants me to do Headers and Port the TVS so bad now!

Users who are viewing this thread