Built motor guys step on in

boduke0220

Established Member
Well, I do think you can do it in that price range, but many variables and JDM sells rods that work with the stock Pistons. That only works if you are willing/able to use the stock rings. Depends on mileage and condition of engine but Mahle engineers were confident on both occasions we talked to them that the rings could be reused if inspected and in spec.
Minimum then would be rebalance and new bearings but I'd add billet oil pump gears, second keyway and 8mm timing studs.
Again, discussing with JDM or a local builder you trust.
Only change if I were to redo my build would be a slight bump in compression to 11:1 as I'm on E85 and staying TVS.
Once you're building for 1100+rwhp then sleeves and crank are very expensive requirements.
-J

Getting a few quotes from MPR and TKM ( local to me, really good place) on several different options

Stock Pistons/New Rings/H beams/bearings/Oil Pump gear *Maybe cams*

Diamond Higher Compression pistons/H beams/bearings/Oil Pump gear/ *maybe cams*

Manley 9.5 comp pistons/ H beams/bearings/Oil Pump gear *Maybe cams*

I asked for assembled shortblock and rotating assembly prices as well as if I dropped my longblock off to them.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I also sent BES a message for a quote. Would you guys like for me to post them here? not sure if that's "ethical" but good info. May PM for those interested.

Please share. Their pricing should not be a secret and may sell them some engine work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't see why an engine build quote would be off limits to post.
From your posts above, the stock Mahle Pistons are easily as good as Manley, so if same stock 9.5 compression, might as well stay stock.
Again, with good fuel, leaving compression on the table just costs efficiency and off boost power/response---big benefits for a driver.
Either way, god luck.
-J

boduke0220

Established Member
Quick update. Stock pistons from ford do not come with the rings ( according to Steve at tousled) so the stock piston/ H beam combo is out as of now.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Quick update. Stock pistons from ford do not come with the rings ( according to Steve at tousled) so the stock piston/ H beam combo is out as of now.

I’m interested on price dropping off longblock for line hone, Diamond or similar 10.5 to 1 pistons, rings, bearings, h-beam rods, balanced, cleaned, assembled. Only question then is what to upgrade on the heads. 3- angle valve job, bowl work, and ??? No way I can just bolt stock untouched heads back on w opp to upgrade while off. At least the best bang for buck stuff.

RBB

Established Member
I’m interested on price dropping off longblock for line hone, Diamond or similar 10.5 to 1 pistons, rings, bearings, h-beam rods, balanced, cleaned, assembled. Only question then is what to upgrade on the heads. 3- angle valve job, bowl work, and ??? No way I can just bolt stock untouched heads back on w opp to upgrade while off. At least the best bang for buck stuff.

I don't think there's a whole lot of value in porting the heads unless you're going big boost. After discussing with Jim, I had JDM do a 3 angle valve job on my build. My heads also needed a line bore since the cam journals were slightly scored. The valve job and the line hone were grouped together as one item on the receipt at a cost of $2K, so I can't tell you how much just the valve job was.

I'll go ahead and post the receipt here just so you all can get an idea. I bought a brand new short block from JDM (not included on this receipt) , so this is pretty much just head work and long block assembly. I have about $2,400 of expenses on here that you're probably not going to need (10% lower, Ferrea SS valves, shipping, etc). What isn't included on here, though, are all of my timing component upgrades, and cams/springs, which were pretty costly....at least another $5K. It's not a cheap endeavor, you can see the labor on long block assembly alone is $3.5K.

Attachments

• JDM invoice.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 161

merkyworks

Established Member
Perhaps this is a stupid question but if the motor is running and in good condition why couldn't you rebuild the motor and just upgrade the connection rods?

Use JDM H-beam rods that work with OEM pistons, do a super light cylinder hone to re-establish a cross hatch pattern, rebuild with fresh bearings and seals.

boduke0220

Established Member
Perhaps this is a stupid question but if the motor is running and in good condition why couldn't you rebuild the motor and just upgrade the connection rods?

Use JDM H-beam rods that work with OEM pistons, do a super light cylinder hone to re-establish a cross hatch pattern, rebuild with fresh bearings and seals.

Because you cant source stock rings to go back in the stock pistons, which is what I believe has failed in my car. It's Definitely a good upgrade, the stock Pistons are used in the Cobra jet race cars I believe. But without new rings they're basically paper weights.

Got a reply back from L&M. Reusing my Block and Crank. Manley H beams, their pistons and ARP hardware is right at 5k for materials and assembly. Not bad, waiting on others to reply and some more details from L&M.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Because you cant source stock rings to go back in the stock pistons, which is what I believe has failed in my car. It's Definitely a good upgrade, the stock Pistons are used in the Cobra jet race cars I believe. But without new rings they're basically paper weights.

Got a reply back from L&M. Reusing my Block and Crank. Manley H beams, their pistons and ARP hardware is right at 5k for materials and assembly. Not bad, waiting on others to reply and some more details from L&M.

L&M indicating line hone only is ok for used 13/14 alum block? What do they show for crank work (micropolish/balancing), bearings, etc at $5k?

boduke0220

Established Member
Quote.PNG

Here is the TKM quote. Most likely going with them ( They're Local, 45 mins away) but will Provide my own rotating assembly and bearings. I think I will Keep the stock cams in for now and put that money towards a good Mantic clutch, Billet OPG and some ID1300/BAP.

RBB

Established Member
View attachment 1522701

Here is the TKM quote. Most likely going with them ( They're Local, 45 mins away) but will Provide my own rotating assembly and bearings. I think I will Keep the stock cams in for now and put that money towards a good Mantic clutch, Billet OPG and some ID1300/BAP.
Are you doing the assembly yourself? If not, what are they charging you for that?

Streetpwr281

Established Member
What are they CNC boring? Alum block w spray in liners can only take a line hone. As asked...assembly? This is going to run up to $7k+ real fast w all that you’ll really need to complete the R&R engine, assembly, gaskets/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread