Built motor guys step on in

boduke0220

Established Member
Looks like my rings are done. I want to do a set of rods and pistons, maybe a set of cams too.

my issue is this.

I don't want to sacrifice reliability. I enjoy messing with these cars, but I don't want to be fixing something every weekend if I put a built motor in. I want to be able to drive a couple hours to the beach without worry that something will happen. is this possible? Ive never had a car with a built motor so im not sure if I am asking too much.

thanks!

RBB

Established Member
Shouldn’t be an issue at all. One well built motor should be just as reliable as the next one (OEM vs aftermarket), your biggest concern is working with a reputable shop that knows their stuff.

Cam selection is another concern. Driveability can take a hit, so choose wisely based on your needs and the driving conditions you're most likely to be in.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
Shouldn’t be an issue at all. One well built motor should be just as reliable as the next one (OEM vs aftermarket), your biggest concern is working with a reputable shop that knows their stuff.

Cam selection is another concern. Driveability can take a hit, so choose wisely based on your needs and the driving conditions you're most likely to be in.

Maybe some small custom cams, or even stock ones. i'll be on E85 so I don't think my goal of 800rwhp would be too hard to hit my goal. But yea, I don't want to spend $5k rebuilding it and then have issues after I get it back. I just like to be behind the wheel!

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Maybe some small custom cams, or even stock ones. i'll be on E85 so I don't think my goal of 800rwhp would be too hard to hit my goal. But yea, I don't want to spend $5k rebuilding it and then have issues after I get it back. I just like to be behind the wheel!

Who's building you a motor for $5k? Cams alone will run about $5k

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
If you're paying $2,200 to install a cam as part of a build, you need to find another shop.

Not only that, but install price is irrelevant anyways. Cams are going to have to be installed regardless, and they install the same. Same with the dyno tune.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
$5,000 in a Used 13/14 aluminum block for upgrading rods/pistons/cams??? I’d like to hear how that’s possible. R&R engine and install parts easily $2500. And are you not doing any machining to block or crank? Spray in liners may not allow for a drop in piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boduke0220

Established Member
$5,000 in a Used 13/14 aluminum block for upgrading rods/pistons/cams??? I’d like to hear how that’s possible. R&R engine and install parts easily $2500. And are you not doing any machining to block or crank? Spray in liners may not allow for a drop in piston.

I don’t know if I can squeeze cams in for that price as a few have told me to do timing components if I do cams but yes materials were going to be around $1850 and labor around $1500-$1800. The Guy that’s doing it has dropped in a few sets of rods/pistons and said it should be fine.

I am considering holding off for a few months and doing a JDM shortblock like a few here have. But it’s hard to justify a 12k shortblock for a car that will never see much over 800rwhp.

Side note. Why are the stock rings so hard to find. I’ve heard the stock pistons are good over 1000 yet I can’t find any stock rings to replace mine with. Would be a good budget upgrade.

RBB

Established Member

You can’t get away with no machining to the block at all. At the very least the plasma spray liner will need a light hone to seat the new rings. This is assuming that it’s in good enough shape to do that. If it’s not then you’d need to sleeve.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
If I have to do machine work the car will get sold and I’ll find another healthy one to play with. Or I’ll buy a complete shortblock ready to go. I’m not into all that boring, honing etc. too much can go wrong.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
We've already been texting.
Much on here is similar, but I would add that 3 5.8s I've seen locally all have been able to have a clean up 0.005 hone. Worst case is next time it'll need sleeves.
Go mild on cams, medium on compression 10-11:1 depending if E85, use good rods and dual key the crank---900rwhp when you want it, stock like reliability for the 90% street use.
As long as not racing, my tuners car has a stock clutch holding 900+ rwhp he only does roll races with it.
Good luck.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Side note. Why are the stock rings so hard to find. I’ve heard the stock pistons are good over 1000 yet I can’t find any stock rings to replace mine with. Would be a good budget upgrade.
Call JDM but when I built mine, and the reconfirmed most recently as 2017 PRI show by Mahle engineers I spoke with; there are no 5.8 stock ring options. Mahle has them but they are Fords property and can't be sold.
So, either buy new stock Pistons to get rings, but by that time the dollar is better spent on new pistons/rings and ability to up compression
-J

Streetpwr281

Established Member
We've already been texting.
Much on here is similar, but I would add that 3 5.8s I've seen locally all have been able to have a clean up 0.005 hone. Worst case is next time it'll need sleeves.
Go mild on cams, medium on compression 10-11:1 depending if E85, use good rods and dual key the crank---900rwhp when you want it, stock like reliability for the 90% street use.
As long as not racing, my tuners car has a stock clutch holding 900+ rwhp he only does roll races with it.
Good luck.
-J

Very interesting. I’m game for a line hone w upgraded rods/pistons/cams if the liners will allow. Saves tons of $$$ on new alum block or sleeves. What’s the minimum needed to be done elsewhere in shortblock on this type deal? Crank/Bearings?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I do think you can do it in that price range, but many variables and JDM sells rods that work with the stock Pistons. That only works if you are willing/able to use the stock rings. Depends on mileage and condition of engine but Mahle engineers were confident on both occasions we talked to them that the rings could be reused if inspected and in spec.
Minimum then would be rebalance and new bearings but I'd add billet oil pump gears, second keyway and 8mm timing studs.
Again, discussing with JDM or a local builder you trust.
Only change if I were to redo my build would be a slight bump in compression to 11:1 as I'm on E85 and staying TVS.
Once you're building for 1100+rwhp then sleeves and crank are very expensive requirements.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread