Built engine time.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel the time has come, the car is running awesome with no issues what so ever. But I'm probably close to if not over 800whp. I know I'm playing with fire and I honestly want more power safely. I miss doing 1/2 mile events as well. So after looking at L&M, MPR and JDM engineering I have decided to go with JDM. I know @biminiLX has his engine built by them and he's happy. I just got done talking to Jim on the phone and I'm going with Manley H beam rods and there matching pistons, I'm doing there super stock cams and obviously all the other little things. I'm also getting the clutch at the same time.

I'm pulling the engine out in 2 weeks and I'll hopefully have it sent it out early June and get it back middle of August. I'm a little nervous about spending so much money. But it's now or never.

I'll obviously keep the thread updated as time goes on, I'm excited and nervous lol, I but I feel I'm making the right choice with the engine builder. Once I get the engine out I'll post pictures.

Willie

Established Member
Not sure exactly where you are, but if you're close, come by sometime and I'll throw countless ideas at you as well as show you stuff on my ride that, frankly, you've most likely never seen before, including what I've integrated into my tune. You might like some of what I'll show you to incorporate into your build....
STB Custom 01.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure exactly where you are, but if you're close, come by sometime and I'll throw countless ideas at you as well as show you stuff on my ride that, frankly, you've most likely never seen before, including what I've integrated into my tune. You might like some of what I'll show you to incorporate into your build....View attachment 1703385
I'm in Mesa AZ, are you still in Tucson? I'm somewhat on budget but I guess I have a little wiggle room, your engine bay looks awesome BTW.

Willie

Established Member
Yes in Tucson but only two miles off I-10. It takes me about 1 hr, 45 min to Sky Harbor, so about the same time to you. I totally understand about the budget, but if you can swing a half day or so to take a drive, you're more than welcome.

I wanted to keep my car looking as original as possible from the exterior and the interior is a tribute to the 1967-68 GT500. If you look under the skin though, it's far from original. I have come up with tons of ideas and incorporated most. If you can come down to visit, I guarantee you that I can show you a minimum of two dozen mods (performance and cosmetic) that you've never seen before. I think the highlight of all of these would be my methanol system (hardware configuration and tune). I developed a way for my progressive system to "communicate" with the stock PCM and with the tune file changes, I can literally command an AFR when using methanol that is independent of the commanded AFR when it's not being used. Every pro tuner will tell you this is impossible with the stock PCM. I can explain in detail how I accomplished this without divulging the "nuts and bolts" if you are interested. Bottom line: My system utilizes 100 percent of what methanol injection offers with NONE of the drawbacks of e85. A close second would be my electronically switchable front / rear intercooler setup.

To keep this brief, have you ever seen anyone install gauges in a trunk? Now you have:

Control Panel 005.jpeg

Plenty for now! And if that's not enough to make it worth your while, parked next to my GT500 is an HSV R8 Maloo. Ever seen one in person???

Willie

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
You will be super happy, OP. Are you doing headwork/terminator timing components? Also, I would recommend a BigUn if your budget will allow it.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You will be super happy, OP. Are you doing headwork/terminator timing components? Also, I would recommend a BigUn if your budget will allow it.
I'm staying with the 8mm chains, but I'll be doing the billet crank sprocket, and Accufab secondary chains and probably better guides. The power goal is pretty much 900whp. I just want a fun 1/2 mile car.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes in Tucson but only two miles off I-10. It takes me about 1 hr, 45 min to Sky Harbor, so about the same time to you. I totally understand about the budget, but if you can swing a half day or so to take a drive, you're more than welcome.

I wanted to keep my car looking as original as possible from the exterior and the interior is a tribute to the 1967-68 GT500. If you look under the skin though, it's far from original. I have come up with tons of ideas and incorporated most. If you can come down to visit, I guarantee you that I can show you a minimum of two dozen mods (performance and cosmetic) that you've never seen before. I think the highlight of all of these would be my methanol system (hardware configuration and tune). I developed a way for my progressive system to "communicate" with the stock PCM and with the tune file changes, I can literally command an AFR when using methanol that is independent of the commanded AFR when it's not being used. Every pro tuner will tell you this is impossible with the stock PCM. I can explain in detail how I accomplished this without divulging the "nuts and bolts" if you are interested. Bottom line: My system utilizes 100 percent of what methanol injection offers with NONE of the drawbacks of e85. A close second would be my electronically switchable front / rear intercooler setup.

To keep this brief, have you ever seen anyone install gauges in a trunk? Now you have:

View attachment 1703403

Plenty for now! And if that's not enough to make it worth your while, parked next to my GT500 is an HSV R8 Maloo. Ever seen one in person???

Willie
I'll have to find a weekend after the engine is sent out to drive out to your house and check your GT500 out. I appreciate the help.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
JDM did the upgrades & tuning on both cars, you won't be disappointed..
Yup, I believe I talked to Jim yesterday on the phone, very knowledgeable and didn't try to bullshit me on anything. And I've honestly never really heard anything negative about them.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Out of curiosity, how much do you think you are saving having a good motor to send up to them vs starting from the ground up? Any figures $

dale.baker

Established Member
Out of curiosity, how much do you think you are saving having a good motor to send up to them vs starting from the ground up? Any figures $
To sleeve you existing block is about $3K
To buy a new block is about $5K
My engine had 3K miles on it when I took it to JDM and did not require sleeving the block due to limited wear. If you can get rings for the stock pistons (Not available in 2015) you might be able to reuse your old Mahle stock pistons.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
To sleeve you existing block is about $3K
To buy a new block is about $5K
My engine had 3K miles on it when I took it to JDM and did not require sleeving the block due to limited wear. If you can get rings for the stock pistons (Not available in 2015) you might be able to reuse your old Mahle stock pistons.
This is the bottom end kit they're using for my engine 2013-2014 GT500 5.8L ALUMINUM SHORTBLOCK 1200 HP REBUILD KIT
My engine has just over 12k on it.

dale.baker

Established Member
This is the bottom end kit they're using for my engine 2013-2014 GT500 5.8L ALUMINUM SHORTBLOCK 1200 HP REBUILD KIT
My engine has just over 12k on it.
This is exactly the same bottom end JDM put in my engine. Notice no main studs due to their experience with new stock bolts being able to withstand 1400HP maximum without incident on their Super Stock cars. Also no head studs are used as their belief is that it is much cheaper if you have a head gasket compromised to let the head lift, thus drastically increasing the likelihood of saving both the block and heads after a mishap. Lastly I use the 10mm timing chain components because they are more robust and stronger than the stock 8mm parts and should prove to be more reliable in the long term. The 10mm components do require the use of 2003/2004 Cobra Mustang valve covers with a few small welded modifications. These were quite plentiful in 2015 but I do not know their availability currently? My engine produced 806WHP with 12* of timing at 7600 RPM on the stock blower and fuel system. The air in December 2015 was very cold when we dyno tuned my car at JDM and I was at 11.8:1 air to fuel ratio on the stock components and decided we met our goal of 800WHP and to not pursue adding an additional return style fuel systems at this point. You will be very satisfied with JDM at the end of the process of building your engine. I strongly recommend Jim SR. to do the tuning after you install and break the engine in properly. Who else gives a one year guarantee on this type of engine build (provided you do not detonate it by running the engine lean). This is why almost six years later I have no complaints about my decision to have them build and tune my new engine. If I can help you in any way please reach out to me. Lastly Bimini (Jay) has taken the JDM basic build to another level and is a great resource of knowledge on the forum. He and I built our engines about the same time frame.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
This is exactly the same bottom end JDM put in my engine. Notice no main studs due to their experience with new stock bolts being able to withstand 1400HP maximum without incident on their Super Stock cars. Also no head studs are used as their belief is that it is much cheaper if you have a head gasket compromised to let the head lift, thus drastically increasing the likelihood of saving both the block and heads after a mishap. Lastly I use the 10mm timing chain components because they are more robust and stronger than the stock 8mm parts and should prove to be more reliable in the long term. The 10mm components do require the use of 2003/2004 Cobra Mustang valve covers with a few small welded modifications. These were quite plentiful in 2015 but I do not know their availability currently? My engine produced 806WHP with 12* of timing at 7600 RPM on the stock blower and fuel system. The air in December 2015 was very cold when we dyno tuned my car at JDM and I was at 11.8:1 air to fuel ratio on the stock components and decided we met our goal of 800WHP and to not pursue adding an additional return style fuel systems at this point. You will be very satisfied with JDM at the end of the process of building your engine. I strongly recommend Jim SR. to do the tuning after you install and break the engine in properly. Who else gives a one year guarantee on this type of engine build (provided you do not detonate it by running the engine lean). This is why almost six years later I have no complaints about my decision to have them build and tune my new engine. If I can help you in any way please reach out to me. Lastly Bimini (Jay) has taken the JDM basic build to another level and is a great resource of knowledge on the forum. He and I built our engines about the same time frame.
I really appreciate you adding to the thread, it's always great hearing from other happy JDM customers. I don't plan on doing the 10mm chains, I definitely agree they're the better option but unfortunately with the budget I'm working with I can't go crazy over. My current fuel system is Fore fuel rails, ID1300 injectors, 20 volt BAP and a Canton fuel filter. I'm currently on E85. But I'll probably switch back to pump gas during the break in period. Lund racing will be doing the tuning, especially since I have a nGauge. It sucks I have to ship my engine across the country but I don't trust anyone else to build it. With my engine only having 12k on it I hope the rebuild goes smooth. Hopefully June 2 or 3rd the engine will be on its way.

Users who are viewing this thread