Built and Sleeved Motor Issues, What would you do?

Torchy

Established Member
OK guys here's my story. I want to know what would you do in this scenario.

Contacted engine builder in July of last year to do a full built motor. Gave him almost half up front to get parts ordered. New block, sleeves and the whole 9 yards. The deal was, I pull my stock motor (which was fine), send him my top end and front end and he does the short block. He'll clean and resurface my heads, set up valve springs and basically send me back a full short block.

The agreement was this is my DD so I wanted the shortblock finished so he'd just have to do my top and front end and mail me back a complete long block minus the oil pan and back plate (that houses rear main seal) to minimize down time. That was supposed to take 2 weeks at most. He received my parts on Feb. 9th (which the time leading up to this he told me he had all the parts ready to go). I still don't have a motor. So we are 7 weeks behind. In his defense my parts arrived 1.5 hours away from him and the freight company I choose does not deliver to his door step so he had to drive 1.5 hours to get my parts. I'll give him 1-2 weeks break for that. So call it were 5 weeks behind.

I then find out (through a lot of research) his sleeving process is archaic and has a track record of failing (facts via other engine builders fixing his failed sleeves at present time). I am now at the point to where I don't feel comfortable with his machine work or motor in my car. I want to back out. He has my money and my top and front end of my motor.

Sry guys but I want feedback and opinions and don't want to mention his name first. I feel like that wouldn't be fair for him. Although I am scared this won't be smooth. I also understand he may have sunk costs and I am willing to help there.

I want to be fair but am I making a bad decision? I haven't told builder yet.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Isn't it on you for not doing this research on the builder before you agreed to the build? Your in so deep at this point you should probably just talk to him about your concerns over his sleeving and hopefully he can put your mind to rest and you can move forward.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yeah your research should have been done before you sent him the money. Can i ask you what made you choose him over reputal shops that do the job correctly. You probably wont get your money back. You may have to take this as a loss learn from it and start over!

Last edited:

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I would just talk to him about what you have heard or read and see what he has to say. Maybe you can get some kind of warranty on the engine. No way you get your money back at this point.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Ouch man...sounds like in for a screw and no dinner. How far away is the motor? Can you pick it up or have a freight company get it outta there. You're prob outta luck unless you have a detailed build sheet with certain commitments on it like parts, processes, time, etc.
Sorry to hear this not so good build post

JTS_7

Established Member
What has been done to the block so far?

Tough situation, depending on how much he has done.

One thing I've learned is just trust your gut. Even if it means biting the bullet and losing cash. If you're 1000% certain you have another guy lined up that can and will do the job correctly, that would be my option assuming the current guy isn't far along I say this because some people will not even try and begin to fix other people work.

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
If he hasn't sleeved the block yet, I would tell him to hold off and talk to him about the situation and how much money do you owe him up to this point. Obviously with him running behind is a good enough excuse to take it elsewhere.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Find out what is been done and go from there. I don't see this being good for you, he has half of the money all of your parts and in that time frame it's a good bet that he has already begun work. I agree as already mentioned that you need to talk to him about your concerns and see what he says. Man I'm glad I did research, I went with Tim and MPR FTW!

Torchy

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. As far as research before, I found success stories. Once I decided to move forward, like post people you quit doing research on your decision. The other part is that this all started 9 months ago and in those 9 months the not so great stories came out which I just found out about yesterday so that's why I am here now. Kinda shocked.

Evidently he is a busy guy and he has builds lined up so he should have no problem selling this motor.

I don't know where he's at in the build. About to find out now.

20lbbooster

Established Member
One of my friends waited over 7 months for a motor from him. Originally he said it would be done in 4 weeks...or something like that. Other people here in Houston waited a long time as well.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I've heard of some horror stories with a particular builder who has had one of his motors drop a sleeve... For this reason, I'll only go with Tim at MPR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradleypro

Established Member
I see someone said b h. If it's blake holcomb he took awhile to get my stuff done but he did get it done and has worked perfectly fine

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I see someone said b h. If it's blake holcomb he took awhile to get my stuff done but he did get it done and has worked perfectly fine

Glad it's working out for u but.... Just get ready. I've had to message so many people NOT to go with that dude but they go anyways and then when they drop sleeves or something else is messed up they wonder why LMAO! Proof is in the puddin, dudes gonna take ur money, give u a POS product and then force u to "fight" for ur money back.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
OK guys here's my story. I want to know what would you do in this scenario.

Contacted engine builder in July of last year to do a full built motor. Gave him almost half up front to get parts ordered. New block, sleeves and the whole 9 yards. The deal was, I pull my stock motor (which was fine), send him my top end and front end and he does the short block. He'll clean and resurface my heads, set up valve springs and basically send me back a full short block.

The agreement was this is my DD so I wanted the shortblock finished so he'd just have to do my top and front end and mail me back a complete long block minus the oil pan and back plate (that houses rear main seal) to minimize down time. That was supposed to take 2 weeks at most. He received my parts on Feb. 9th (which the time leading up to this he told me he had all the parts ready to go). I still don't have a motor. So we are 7 weeks behind. In his defense my parts arrived 1.5 hours away from him and the freight company I choose does not deliver to his door step so he had to drive 1.5 hours to get my parts. I'll give him 1-2 weeks break for that. So call it were 5 weeks behind.

I then find out (through a lot of research) his sleeving process is archaic and has a track record of failing (facts via other engine builders fixing his failed sleeves at present time). I am now at the point to where I don't feel comfortable with his machine work or motor in my car. I want to back out. He has my money and my top and front end of my motor.

Sry guys but I want feedback and opinions and don't want to mention his name first. I feel like that wouldn't be fair for him. Although I am scared this won't be smooth. I also understand he may have sunk costs and I am willing to help there.

I want to be fair but am I making a bad decision? I haven't told builder yet.

AND?????: What is the end of the story?

Users who are viewing this thread