Building up the GT - Input please

layzie

Established Member
I had to sell my fully build terminator last year and the current 2003 GT with full bolt-ons is not cutting it anymore. I have saved up enough money dig into my GT and would like some advise please.

Step 1: I need assistance in picking the right long block please.

Initially, I am going to put on my old posi port heaton at around 17psi and I will eventually be upgrading to a 2.8 whipple so assuming the general senses is NOt to do a tork tech kit on a 2v, which 4v longblock / tranny combo is most recommended within the svtperformance community?

Addtl: Any existing threads or build guides that I can follow?

Goals: Make me forget about my 2.3 terminator

layzie

Established Member
Or perhaps I should do a 2v stroker with trick flow heads ? Hmmm. decisions, Decisions!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If I were to do a big build on my bullitt, I would start with a Teksid block and pick my internals for my goals.

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
What are your horsepower goals? you can easily make 500hp just by building your 2v block and adding the right blower to it.

layzie

Established Member
Hi Kleech - Nothing is wrong with the tork tech kit bud. I just think that if I am going to spend an additional 3k on top of a built motor, why not spend that extra 3k into a tranny instead. Seem logical?

DHG1078 - Searching forums has really open my eyes to a Teksid block, Do tell more!

Blown99Gt - I like to ride the line between drive-ability and durability. I would like the option to have 500now and be able to get to 600/650 as a max if/when needed using a roots style blower while being able to daily drive the car with ease if I choose to do so.

Thanks for the input so far, keep em coming!

Layzie

Last edited:

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
Blown99Gt - I like to ride the line between drive-ability and durability. I would like the option to have 500now and be able to get to 600/650 as a max if/when needed using a roots style blower while being able to daily drive the car with ease if I choose to do so.
Just to give you some perspective, i rebuilt my stock 2v motor at a local builder (MPR) and made 500rwhp with stock heads, mild blower cams and a cobra tank and pumps with a vortech v2-sq.
That was just to get it running. Depending on your budget you can easily make 500+rwhp without going crazy on a new block if you had the right power adder to match up.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
DHG1078 - Searching forums has really open my eyes to a Teksid block, Do tell more!

Teksid blocks are cheap for one. You can find them at just about any pick and pull in a Lincoln mark VIII for a few hundred bucks. They are aluminum so they are much lighter than the cast iron blocks in most new edge mustangs. They can also handle unreal power, so they are good for whatever power level you want. It does require some machining to work, I believe it is one coolant passage you have to drill in the block to match the 2v heads should you decide to stay 2v. There is also a couple other minor items you need to get for the timing cover and chain guides and things of that nature. I found a very detailed thread on it, I will have to dig it up.

Depending on what internals you decide to go with, you can have a lightweight, strong short block for not a lot of money. Just depends on your power goals. When my motor blows, if it ever does, this is the route I am going.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Also depends on how much work you are going to put into building it or if you are going to have a shop do the work for you.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Hi Kleech - Nothing is wrong with the tork tech kit bud. I just think that if I am going to spend an additional 3k on top of a built motor, why not spend that extra 3k into a tranny instead. Seem logical?

Well if you're starting with a 2v car either way you are going to have to spend thousands of dollars on the top of the motor anyways. You can either go Tork Tech or spend the money on 4v heads, intake, etc. Just depends on what you want, personally myself I enjoy it being a GT with a true GT heart. You never know what you'll get when you see a GT, it's either slow or packing a lot of heat and no one knows it. I'm staying 2v someday when I build a motor, port the heads, blower cams, lots of boost, easy 500+ at that point.

layzie

Established Member
Well Kleech. It looks as if I may end up doing the same. After calling one of the SVT perf recommended shops I ended up with a quote for over 15k for a built motor.. Seems like keeping my block and just upgrading the pistons, rods, heads and cam is going to be the way to reach 600hp with a small 2.3 whipple. I have 7k budgeted for the motor and a couple grand extra for whatever.

Last edited:

triple-s

Established Member
Pshh when I did my motor 4 years ago I used a 03 cobra crank and rods with forged pistons patriot heads and mild blower cams and it's still ticking like a champ with 30xxx miles on the build. At the time I was using 93 fuel and kept the stock compression. My only regret was not bumping up the compression but at the time I didn't know I was going to do a e85 swap. The last dyno it did like 4 months ago now it still put down 608 on a mustang dyno. So doing a good 2v build is very possible and actually people I beat are more impressed that's it's a 2v. I've beaten many cobra's with ported, Whipple and kb blower's and even more camero's! Stick with the 2v it's easier to do then buying everything to convert to a 4v.

layzie

Established Member
Here is what I am about to purchase. Anyone care to look over and give thoughts / suggestions please?

-------------------------

MMR Street Mod 900SE 4.75 Liter Stroker 2V Longblock (up to 900 RWHP) - $4999
+
Upgrade to MMR Hurricane Billet oil pump gears
+
Upgrade to New Alloy Block $1299
+
Upgrade to Stroker shortblock 900S (Produces 5.0 Liters
+
Upgrade to MMR Street/Racing Oil pump
+
Upgrade to Stage 2 Ported Heads
+
Upgrade to Stainless steel Valves
+
Upgrade to High Lift Valve springs
+
Add ARP Main Studs
+
Upgrade to Stage 1-3 Camshafts
+
Add MMR 7qrt Street/Racing Oil Pan
+
Upgrade to ARP 2000 Rod bolts

MMR Long Block

Last edited:

layzie

Established Member
Any help would be appreciated Guys! I'll post videos / pics of the install. I am planning on buying the motor and.new clutch in 2 weeks. So let me Know if you see any issues with the quote I pasted

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
like I said, you can't go wrong with a MMR long block. I say go for it.

layzie

Established Member
it's 10k for all of it. But the dam block wont fit a roots blower unless i spend 2k for a dam tork tech kit or buy 4v heads. I may end up selling the eaton and go turbo.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
it's 10k for all of it. But the dam block wont fit a roots blower unless i spend 2k for a dam tork tech kit or buy 4v heads. I may end up selling the eaton and go turbo.

This. find a teksid 99-01 4v, Strip it and put in forged rods n pistons, degree the cams, on3 turbo kit(customize where u want to). Or use that same engine and do the eaton swap(that what i did) and enjoy it.

For tranny the 3650 can be built to handle good power, but its hard to beat a magnum on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread