Building a house

colin450

Established Member
What if the pumps fail during a cold spell? Won't the liquid just sit in the pipes and then potentially freeze?

I have radiant heat throughout my house including the garage. I shut the garage zone down because it's usually over 50 in there regardless of the temp outside. I Just put anti-freeze in there before I closed it off.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. I’ll have more pics this weekend. They are finishing drywall and plaster, getting ready to paint. Brick is being laid full tilt. It’s crazy they have to have heaters on the brick full time to dry the mortar so it doesn’t freeze. Guys are laying tile as well in the bathrooms. Probably 20 people working at once.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
OP I cant stress enough under cold building conditions, fire can put and abrupt end to your project. Temporary heat can be a tremendous hazard. Propane, kerosene salamander heaters are usually the culprit. We've used all these methods. Locally we saw yesterday morning a large custom build leveled due to fire. It too was near the finish stage of construction. Temperatures below freezing often require supplemental heat. This is so unfortunate for so many parties involved. Be cautious, make sure the project is insured against such loss. Article doesn't mention cause, but that doesn't matter. It was still under construction and is a loss. Make no assumptions.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. I’ll have more pics this weekend. They are finishing drywall and plaster, getting ready to paint. Brick is being laid full tilt. It’s crazy they have to have heaters on the brick full time to dry the mortar so it doesn’t freeze. Guys are laying tile as well in the bathrooms. Probably 20 people working at once.

i was gonna say, I know you have a rapidly approaching deadline but DAMN they're flying!

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Wow mate! what a beautiful house and the fact that you get it to do it your way from the ground up is like a dream for me. And here i'm with my family trying to look for a house around 1MIL in So cal that does not need a ton of work. If i didnt have my daughters , we would have left already .

kaz109

Established Member
Wow mate! what a beautiful house and the fact that you get it to do it your way from the ground up is like a dream for me. And here i'm with my family trying to look for a house around 1MIL in So cal that does not need a ton of work. If i didnt have my daughters , we would have left already .
I was just thinking man you how much this house would cost here in California lol…. SoCal, Bay Area . Hell even Granite Bay or El Dorado Hills take your pick

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
B1D4A706-948A-48D0-9EB0-5A1AB7B6CFB9.jpeg
2E4DDADD-91AA-41B8-A507-5AD39E1B0B44.jpeg

Adower

Established Member
I was just thinking man you how much this house would cost here in California lol…. SoCal, Bay Area . Hell even Granite Bay or El Dorado Hills take your pick
That’s a easy 3 mill house in edh or granite bay.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
7D2B9638-D031-424F-8248-679870250D6E.jpeg
2BA305FC-4147-4B75-9288-7BB667A7C0A7.jpeg
B3F4FC66-0DD5-4345-93BA-E275909C995F.jpeg
912DEF08-3EF4-4AA0-B0EB-57FAD45DE82A.jpeg

These are all pictures of how the house sits currently. I’ll try to get some interior shots this weekend. I’m rarely available when it’s light out to check on the house but this is probably the most crucial time to keep an eye on things as they add finishes. Landscaping/plantings/outdoor lighting has to wait until the spring, but they were able to complete the two retaining walls needed to grade the property. This is a shot of the back wall which is two tiered and 10’ tall overall. The first tier is about 6-7’.

I’m pumped to design my garage again. I’m parting with a 36x50 detached garage, so it was important for me to have a decent sized separate garage. It’s going to be heated, plenty of outlets, plumbed for compressed air throughout, speakers, tv, will have my 4 post lift, finished floor, my old school kegerator, etc

Stanger00

Established Member
OP very nice home and view! The progress on your home is moving fast. I went in contract with a tract home in October and it was already framed. Your house looks further along and mine is just now being signed off for insulation.

I’m thinking finishes will be on the slow side but is when I’ll really need to start picking stuff apart.

Not sure what houses you’re looking at. My brother recently purchased in granite bay (7 figure home) and he paid 500$sqft.

I’m not too familiar with the Granite Bay Area but there are some neighborhoods with very extravagant custom built homes around 6k to 15ksqft homes. However, I’ll agree most 3k-4ksqft homes are still in the 400-600sqft price point in Granite Bay.

I was looking at homes in Folsom on top of a hill overlooking 50 toward Sacramento and the waitlist were too long and if there was no waitlist you needed $20k-$40k deposit.

We skipped on those and went with a new construction tract home in Rocklin in Whitney Ranch. I don’t have backyard neighbors and it’s perched on a ridge looking down on Lincoln with open Greenland in between.

My94GT

Established Member
Need more photos in here lol. We just did kitchen, bathrooms, and pool house cabinets and countertops selections today so a long way off from where you’re at hahaha. Also ordered appliances and next up is picking flooring.

Users who are viewing this thread