Building a house

My94GT

Established Member
When doing a custom home, you don't realize how much time that takes. If your buying from a developer, you have a few choices for colors and cabinets etc. When you go custom, you have an infinite amount of choices. Going into this thing, I had no idea how much time would be spent on choosing all this stuff.
This^^^ all this when it comes to builders who say they are custom pick 1,2, or 3 options or true custom builders where you go to store fronts, find shit online, drawl it etc

The first build I did a few years back was that, pick a floor plan, pick from 1-3 basic options or another 1 or 2 top shelf selections.

This go round I’m doing full custom. Plans drawn up from scratch based loosely off a few different floor plans we walked and liked, submit to engineer, rework etc. we haven’t even gotten into all the options lol. It’s a train wreck and the only thing keeping it on course is that the wife and I have very similar wants/taste.

You nailed it, time consuming is an understatement and everything I ask the builder is joking answered with….sure I can do that it’s only money hahahaha thankfully he’s a family friend and is working OT to keep us on the right track

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I got my bs and ms in the wrong field...

Congrats

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
This^^^ all this when it comes to builders who say they are custom pick 1,2, or 3 options or true custom builders where you go to store fronts, find shit online, drawl it etc

The first build I did a few years back was that, pick a floor plan, pick from 1-3 basic options or another 1 or 2 top shelf selections.

This go round I’m doing full custom. Plans drawn up from scratch based loosely off a few different floor plans we walked and liked, submit to engineer, rework etc. we haven’t even gotten into all the options lol. It’s a train wreck and the only thing keeping it on course is that the wife and I have very similar wants/taste.

You nailed it, time consuming is an understatement and everything I ask the builder is joking answered with….sure I can do that it’s only money hahahaha thankfully he’s a family friend and is working OT to keep us on the right track
Agreed on all fronts. This is my first (and hopefully last home build). I did a massive remodel 8 years ago that involved excavation, adding 2500 sq ft to the house, etc etc. but this is on another level. My wife has built two homes that were spec homes that she optioned out.

This was a ground up custom build with multiple floor plan revisions, architect, the whole mess. Every time we did a rework of the plans the house got bigger. I didn’t want to use a designer, but if you pick the right one, they are much more than someone who tells you about matching fixtures, lighting, paint, etc. she’s made a few changes in the floor plan and overall design that no one caught. And in the end, we just don’t have time to go through millions of options.

Building a house for a showcase sets a firm deadline for the build. You end up saving a little on each subcontractor, but you end up (getting talked into) picking nicer options. I figured the cost would be awash but I’d get preference in terms of any material shortages and a firm deadline for the build.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
That’s gotta be exciting. Congrats. I assume you’re a Packers fan (obviously), that should double your excitement after yesterday!
I’m a Big college football fan, but my wife is an absolute die hard packers fan. I’ve come to enjoy the city. We have an apartment near the stadium for when I have to be close to work and there’s tons to do within walking distance of the stadium. The team truly belongs to the city. I’ve lived in Cleveland, Tampa, near Cincinnati, and been to plenty of pro games. You get a much different feel for the team, the stadium, and the players in Green Bay.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats. That's an awesome build.

Hopefully your build time stays close to on target. Damn impact windows delayed me 4 months so far.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
2A866781-7746-4241-A707-122082CA3C41.jpeg
91E3D1FA-33A7-49E8-911A-3238B14B89BA.jpeg
DD9107E9-DF41-4536-AFEC-A5A58E673964.jpeg
8AE1FF78-BB9A-4353-9121-756C2F0058DE.jpeg
F590A462-B85E-421D-BC3A-0335F1EAC2FC.jpeg

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
The last pic above is from the back of the house. The basement walkout has 8’ sliding doors. Windows above it are from the kitchen/living room and are 12’. To the left of the windows is a screened in loggia with outdoor tv, fireplace, grill, and heaters

My94GT

Established Member
That’s going to look beautiful from the back. What’s the square footage? The house looks big!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
It would take a year and a half to build that here. Actually, all the new homes are taking that long.

quad

Established Member
What kind of HVAC are you going to run? I went with radiant floor heat and love it.

**** Biden
I would like that combined with geothermal. Is there an anti-freeze type liquid in the pipes? Or is yours electrical?

quad

Established Member
Some completely different houses in the neighborhood. There are three very modern houses, a couple traditional, a few modern farm houses. It’s a private drive, private community with a walking trail around the whole neighborhood. Community barn with gardens, chickens, and pretty sure the developer still has plans for a horse stable.
Yes that's nice. I like variety in a neighborhood like that. Reminds me of a development on Long Lake Road in Bloomfield TWP.

BARON ESTATES.JPG

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
that's the goal for our next one

Wife wanted mansion in suburbia, she got it.

My turn next go round.

15 acres, 1500sq ft ranch on unfinished basement, so I can do it my way, with detached garage / shop. YESSIRRRRRRR

Ditto, built a 4400 sq/ft house in Seven Hills in ‘15…sold in ‘18 after she figured out it was literally The Real Housewives. People just walking in and sending their kids over to babysit. That shit ended quick though we did have a few great neighbors who we’re still friends with.

We renovated the rental and next is doing the exact same thing on land in NW Ga.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The house is coming along quickly.
Your very first pic makes it appear like you are in all your neighbors back yards.
All this hasn't happened in a week and a half. This is a time laps presentation. House is probably done or near done. The leaves are still on the trees. Lol

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I would like that combined with geothermal. Is there an anti-freeze type liquid in the pipes? Or is yours electrical?
It's hydro, but I did not add any anti freeze. You can, but I didn't feel the need. We keep the system on all during the winter of course, so there's no chance of freezing.
The best part is the boiler. It heats the water in the tubing in the floor as well as providing our domestic hot water. On demand, as they say. My plumber ran a recirc line and now I have instant, on demand hot water at virtually any faucet in the house. I highly suggest a recirc line for the size your building. Otherwise you'll wait 20 minutes for hot water.

**** Biden

quad

Established Member
It's hydro, but I did not add any anti freeze. You can, but I didn't feel the need. We keep the system on all during the winter of course, so there's no chance of freezing.
The best part is the boiler. It heats the water in the tubing in the floor as well as providing our domestic hot water. On demand, as they say. My plumber ran a recirc line and now I have instant, on demand hot water at virtually any faucet in the house. I highly suggest a recirc line for the size your building. Otherwise you'll wait 20 minutes for hot water.

**** Biden
What if the pumps fail during a cold spell? Won't the liquid just sit in the pipes and then potentially freeze?

Users who are viewing this thread