Build Thread

WMD

Established Member
I have 3 inch round straight through Magnaflows, I like the sound, cheap and easy to fit in the car.
I think dumped waste gates sound like poo. If you gunna street drive the car a lot dumped WG's get old real fast.

stradt03

Established Member

stradt03

Established Member
Got some work done today...

I replaced the hoses for the oil filter relocation kit that appeared to be leaking. Yesterday I ran the car and let it come up to temp and didn't notice any oil leaking but came back and looked this morning and found some oil...shit.

Luckily I cleaned up the residual oil that was on the engine, k-member, steering rack, etc so it was pretty easy to find where the source of this leak was. I traced it to the hole in the timing cover that is to the right of the water pump. There is no bolt in this hole and when the car is running, I saw vapor (similar to what comes out of the catch can) so it makes sense that some oil could collect there and drip down.

This shows the hole in the timing cover, you can see a bit of oil sheen where I believe oil was running down.
IMAG4035.jpg

I did some coolant work also, I had a small leak on the left side of the water pump that would only show when the car was up to temp. I ended up pulling the water pump and found some interesting things, not sure if it is a smoking gun for the leak or not but it was at least a point of cause.

The picture below shows some brown gunk on the pump edge where it was leaking. I cleaned off the gunk with some brake cleaner and reassembled with a new O-ring.
IMAG4039.jpg

Since I had to drain the coolant to take care of the leaky water pump, I took the opportunity to remove the stock thermostat housing and install the MMR thermostat housing that has the by-pass deleted.

I'm thinking tomorrow I will check for more oil leaks.

Oh, I ordered up the Alky Contol Systems kit. Hoping it shows up in a week or so.

I'm becoming more and more interested in the J&S Vampire system. The more I read about it the more impressed I get. Any one have any experience with it? Is it really as good as it claims to be?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Got some work done today...

I replaced the hoses for the oil filter relocation kit that appeared to be leaking. Yesterday I ran the car and let it come up to temp and didn't notice any oil leaking but came back and looked this morning and found some oil...shit.

Luckily I cleaned up the residual oil that was on the engine, k-member, steering rack, etc so it was pretty easy to find where the source of this leak was. I traced it to the hole in the timing cover that is to the right of the water pump. There is no bolt in this hole and when the car is running, I saw vapor (similar to what comes out of the catch can) so it makes sense that some oil could collect there and drip down.

This shows the hole in the timing cover, you can see a bit of oil sheen where I believe oil was running down.
View attachment 51713

I did some coolant work also, I had a small leak on the left side of the water pump that would only show when the car was up to temp. I ended up pulling the water pump and found some interesting things, not sure if it is a smoking gun for the leak or not but it was at least a point of cause.

The picture below shows some brown gunk on the pump edge where it was leaking. I cleaned off the gunk with some brake cleaner and reassembled with a new O-ring.
View attachment 51714

Since I had to drain the coolant to take care of the leaky water pump, I took the opportunity to remove the stock thermostat housing and install the MMR thermostat housing that has the by-pass deleted.

I'm thinking tomorrow I will check for more oil leaks.

Oh, I ordered up the Alky Contol Systems kit. Hoping it shows up in a week or so.

I'm becoming more and more interested in the J&S Vampire system. The more I read about it the more impressed I get. Any one have any experience with it? Is it really as good as it claims to be?

Yes that bolt hole should have been filled with grey RTV.

I'd get a new Ford water pump they are CHEAP.

I'm still not sold on the coolant bypass thing. They look great but just not sure how well they will really function.

I'm not a huge fan or alky kits but that's just me. I run 93 octane for street tune snd c16 for race tune. How often do you really need 900-1050 rwhp... (race tune)

My 93 octane tune made 788 rwhp. More than enough to whoop most anyone's ass on the street and track.

s351

Established Member
Check out Ais injection, they make a good trunk mount meth kit. Currently have one on my car.

I like the added octane from the meth just dont go crazy with the boost and timing. We could of added more timing to mine but played it on the safer side, 800rwhp was enough for now.

stradt03

Established Member
Well, the damn oil leak and coolant leak are still there. The new oil filter relocation lines definitely helped with the oil leak but there is still oil accumulating on the front and rear of the pan. The water pump is still leaking in the same spot.

Oil accumulation on the rear two bolts on the pan. So what does everyone thing? Oil Pan gasket leak? rear main seal leak?
IMAG4049.jpg

Red circle is where the coolant is accumulating. It appears that this is also the point of origin for the leak as well. I snugged the 4 pump bolts, I'll run the car tomorrow and see if that helps. If it still leak what is my next step? I've already pulled the pump and replaced the o-ring and it is a brand new pump (less than 300 miles)

IMAG4067.1.jpg

I was able to remove this mess of hoses and replace it with the MMR themostat housing. It really freed up some space.

IMAG4056.jpg

Also sealed up that hole in the timing cover that is to the right of the water pump. I used some of that magic gray sealant and filled it up. No more oil vapor coming out of that hole.

Last edited:

stradt03

Established Member
I haven't had the motivation to track down the water pump and oil pan leaks so those are still hanging out there. Any suggestions to the pictures and descriptions I have in the post above?? Any and all suggestions or recommendation are appreciated.

I did get my new mufflers installed. Ended up going with a magnaflow 4" straight through race muffler. I can't imagine that these won't take care of the back pressure issues I was having. They are definitely quite a bit louder at idle than the bassani mufflers that come with their 3" catback system. I also like the whacky turbo noises you hear through the tail pipes with these mufflers in place.

IMAG4074.jpg

Also got a new toy in the mail to help in my quest for quadruple digit dyno numbers.

IMAG4129.jpg

Picked up the Alky Control System Meth injection kit. Went with the dual nozzles and the trunk mounted 3 gallon fuel cell. I'll probably work on installing this thing over the next few weeks. Where are people mounting the pumps for this system?

Next week another toy shows up....stay tuned for updates :D

Last edited:

stradt03

Established Member
I love the sound of my open WG's. I have my boost turn down to 17psi. In this video I was at 19psi with my WG's to open at 14psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA_wf7IRsQk

Wow, that thing goes from tame to pissed off in a hurry. Is it crazy loud when those gates open up? Are you able to hear any kind of spark knock when you go open air waste gates? I can't imagine you can hear much of anything when those gates open up.

stradt03

Established Member
Well, after removing the water pump three times and each time having the leak return, I finally got pissed off enough to buy a Stewart water pump. Looking at the Ford pump under good lighting it appears that there is an excessive amount metal porosity in the pump to block o-ring groove. This porosity is not present in the Stewart pump so I'm hoping that this is the cause for the persistent leak.

I'm about 60% finished with the Alky Control Meth install. I'll post some pics of the water pumps and the progress with the meth kit later today.

Woody6799

Established Member
I have heard good things about the Alky System. Its something I am looking into but with a TS it seems like it doesn't help enough. Make sure you post up your impressions when you get it all installed.

stradt03

Established Member
Finished up the Alky Control System install, everything turned out very well. The kit is pretty straight forward and easy to install. The components seem to be very high quality as well.

IMAG4129_zpsbumqab9o.jpg

3 gal Fuel Cell mounted in the trunk.
IMAG4195_zpsnyivj5ve.jpg
Nozzles in the intake piping
IMAG4276_zpsngvluykm.jpg
IMAG4275_zpse3at9cry.jpg
All mounted up....looking at this picture....I noticed that the directional arrow on the right nozzle is pointing the wrong way. Not sure if this matters or not.
IMAG4277_zpslu4awsqc.jpg
Controller setting #5 (video)
th_Setting%205_zpstcq2c2hh.jpg

Controller setting #10 (video)
th_Setting%2010%20for%20forums_zpsckj0jcca.jpg

Up next is the J&S Vampire install.
IMAG4267.jpg
IMAG4271.jpg

Last edited:

stradt03

Established Member
Holy crap, setting #10 is insane!

Right!?!?!? I can't imagine a scenario where someone would need to run the kit on setting #10.

Well, I put in that fancy new Stewart water pump. Sure enough it still leaked. I took a UV light to the area of the leak and sure enough, it isn't coolant at all. The leak is actually oil seeping from the timing cover. I highlighted in green where the leak can be observed under UV light.

Timing%20Cover%20Leak_zps5m6sytrt.jpg

The leak exhibited some interesting behavior. It would seep out of the seam for a 1-2 seconds and then it would stop for 15-20 seconds, then it would seep again for 1-2 seconds repeating. I can imagine that once the boost comes on and the crank case builds some pressure, oil will come out of that seam at a larger flow rate. That would also make sense as to why I had oil dripping off the front sway bar after dyno time. Here are some pics of the Stewart vs OEM water pumps.

IMAG4262_zpsv9cz2gmx.jpg

IMAG4260_zpsegkdbm1r.jpg

IMAG4261_zpsqnomduzv.jpg

IMAG4263_zpstlmhjzkw.jpg

Last edited:

stradt03

Established Member
Well good news and some bad news.

I started to install the Vampire system and decided it would be easier to do so with the front seats removed. Turns out the bolts that hold the seats in place get pretty damn fragile over 15 years. All 8 of the bolts snapped off and needed to be drilled out and replaced, bummer.

Good news is that I was able to finish up the J&S Vampire System. It really is a nice system and I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs!

I'll report back tomorrow and post up some pictures.

Last edited:

Packerfan88

Established Member
Awesome build! i will being doing a built block and 76mm. My question is what injectors are you going to be using? There are only a handful of E85 pumps here in the area I live in so i don't think its a great option for me. Race gas is easy to get so my plans are 91 tune at 15lbs and sunoco race gas tune for 2ish-+ psi tune. I guess i am asking for advice lol

NC03SVT

Established Member
Looks like an awesome build. I have had some work done by Fastlane and they seem to be top notch. Im going to go back and get tuned by them. Keep the updates up!

stradt03

Established Member
Awesome build! i will being doing a built block and 76mm. My question is what injectors are you going to be using? There are only a handful of E85 pumps here in the area I live in so i don't think its a great option for me. Race gas is easy to get so my plans are 91 tune at 15lbs and sunoco race gas tune for 2ish-+ psi tune. I guess i am asking for advice lol

I'm using FRPP 80s right now. I'm looking to see just how far I can push them on pump (93) and meth. If the limiting factor on the car turns out to be the injectors, then I'll look at going to id1000s or 1300s.

Do you know what you are looking to do in terms of the components for the block and turbo?

stradt03

Established Member
Looks like an awesome build. I have had some work done by Fastlane and they seem to be top notch. Im going to go back and get tuned by them. Keep the updates up!

Nice, the guys over at Fastlane have been good to me so far. When are you looking to get back in there for a tune?

Users who are viewing this thread