Build or Swap

bgreen

Established Member
I am curious to see which is the better path? I have a 96 Mystic with 125k miles and am playing with the idea of tearing it apart for a rebuild since it only gets driven a hand full of times a month. I have been thinking a coyote, termi or GT500 swap or maybe rebuilding with forged internals and a turbo set up. I would really like some feedback on this.

On another note I am not planning on racing it but would like to keep up with my bros 600hp 03 when we do get together. So basically mid 600s conservatively. Thanks in advance guys.

redrocket16

Established Member
How deep are your pockets? To do a swap of the 3 you mentioned and to get it to 600rwhp it would not be cheap. In the neighborhood of 12-15k I would say. Little stuff starts adding up quickly when doing a build and keep saying it's only 1 more thing.. Not discouraging just letting ya know what I just went through.

PC03GT

Established Member
Either way you go it's gonna cost you. A boosted coyote swap would be bad ass.

bgreen

Established Member
Yeah I understand its not going to be cheap any route I take but when the drivetrain goes shes going under the knife for some much needed upgrades. I also agree that a boosted coyote would be sick but I haven't done much research on them just yet.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
No matter how you look at it (almost), for the money it will make more sense to sell it and buy a 2011+ GT. I like the newer cars, but I really don't want one. Who really cares when a "normal" new car pulls into a show/ car cruise. It's the modded stuff that makes it interesting to me, and even better if the car keeps a fairly stock appearance. A teksid rebuild should be a good route, if resources are unlimited try a swap.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Rebuild the stock motor with better rods and pistons, turbo kit, upgraded fuel system and let it eat (after its tuned of course).

Now some issues you may run into with the stock heads, you might need new valve guides, seals, valve job, springs etc. All that shit adds up. Or look into a set of C heads and intake (use the 96-98 Cobra upper intake with that adapter thats available to keep it "stock" looking).

Too many options. But remember, keep it simple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread