Buffer ?'s

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Have heard alot about porter cables and orbital buffers. Can someone in layman's terms breakdown what they do over wal mart buffers and where you guys getting them at. Also, are you using them to apply and still removing by hand or what's the process? Thanks in advance.

spree

Established Member
i can't speak for most rotary buffers since I've never used them, but for a novice, what you want is a random orbital buffer such as the PC7424. That's personally what I use. Basically...what it boils down to is power vs. safety.

With most rotary buffers, you run the risk of burning through your paint if you don't know what you're doing. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to operate one properly. But...once you get the hang of it, it's more effective at dealing with paint defects.

The PC7424 is safe to use in that you basically run no risk of damaging your paint (you can cause swirls and holograms if you use bad/dirty pads though). It still takes a little bit of practice, but it really isn't that hard to learn or use.

Both the PC and the rotary can be used to apply just about any product, from swirl removers to polish to sealants. You can also use them to remove your product. The trick is to use the appropriate pad to do the appropriate job (they have cutting pads, polishing pads, finishing pads, and buffing pads).

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Thanks for the explanation, where did you get your PC7424 and how much was it, and is it cordless?

spree

Established Member
03yllwguy said:
Thanks for the explanation, where did you get your PC7424 and how much was it, and is it cordless?

I got mine from autogeek.net. It was about $130 plus the cost of pads (they're about $10 each, and I bought 1 cutting pad, 1 polishing pad, and 1 finishing pad). It's not cordless.

03BlkSVT

Established Member
I believe Lowe's carries the Porter Cable model. I own a Dewalt 443 and a Dewalt rotary buffer. The 443 is basically the same as the Porter Cable. PCs are excellent for most detailing needs. You will be amazed at the results and time/effort savings. Be sure to use the correct pad for the job. lake country makes excellent pads for your PC. Rotary buffers can produce fantastic results, but you need to be experienced and know what you are doing to use this tool. The rotary is easily the most effective tool. but you should practice on old body parts before sticking it on something you really care about. What many people forget is that a rotary buffer was basically designed for use in a body shop environment after color sanding imperfections out of a new paint job, or spot job. Many detail shops incorrectly use rotary buffers with a wool cutting pad to remove one step waxes because it is quick. If your detail shop is following this practice you need to find a new shop. They know most customers are not knowledgeable enough to recognize swirl marks or buffer holograms. Most people just look for a nice shine. Be careful with your latemodel's clear coat finish because it is very thin. The factorys simply do not apply enough clearcoat to their paint jobs. Ever notice the vast amount of orange peel in most factory paint jobs? There are several reasons for this, and it is not an easy problem to correct for the perfectionists.Try the search feature for those complaining of rock chips and scratches. The reason is insufficient factory clearcoat. Wetsanding and rotary buffers are dangerous in the hands of inexperienced/untrained people on these new finishes. A good PC type buffer should serve you well, and help maintain your car's appearance.

jknowles4

Established Member
The PC at lowes is the 7336, it is the exact same machine as the 7424 but comes with a different counterweight. Lowes had this on sale for around $80. This is a great deal considering most places sell the 7424 for $130+. After you get the 7336 look on autopia.org and buy the sonus pad kit. This comes with 3 pads and a backing plate, when you get this you will be ready to polish and wax. Good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread