Budget build turbo 2V sleeper ?

FoMoCo08

LSX Slayer
Established Member
So I was scanning Craigslist today to see what interesting things I could find and I stumbled across a 1999 Mustang GT Auto for $3500 all it needs is a stereo like I care...
Here is a link to the cream puff; 1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary Edition

Anyhow it got me thinking long story short I am thinking about picking it up and putting an on3 performance turbo kit on it $1725 leaving the exterior just how it is. Throwing some sticky tires on the stock wheels, fuel system, tubular k member ect. And run the piss out of it, calling out the unexpected for some laughs and maybe some cash :D I figure worst case scenario if I blow the engine I can drop another used one in it for 4-500 dollars. Trying to do this build as cheap as possible.

I have a couple questions for you GT guys;
-What do I need minimum as far as the fuel system ?
-What will the stock trans hold, and what cheap mods can I do to help it valve body, torque converter ?
- The bottom end is good for around 425ish correct ?
-What else am I leaving out, recommendations ?

Remember I am trying to do a budget build here, just something to have fun with. So please keep that in mind when making suggestions thanks :beer:

froush

Established Member
For fuel, a stryker 340 or kurgan will supply more than the stock block can hold and are fairly inexpensive.You can get around 450 rwhp on a good safe tune. Not really sure what the stock auto can hold but i think youll be fine. The rear end wont like all the torque though so you will wanna replace the differential and axles if you plan on launching it good

FoMoCo08

LSX Slayer
Established Member
For fuel, a stryker 340 or kurgan will supply more than the stock block can hold and are fairly inexpensive.You can get around 450 rwhp on a good safe tune. Not really sure what the stock auto can hold but i think youll be fine. The rear end wont like all the torque though so you will wanna replace the differential and axles if you plan on launching it good

Thanks for the information on the fuel system, I will probably run the 340 fuel pump and my stock Cobra 39lb injectors.
I will have to look into weak links on the transmission.
I figured I would be safe on the stock rear because the car is an auto, and I will only be around 400-420 rwhp ?

DailyDriver

Established Member
just go with a used vortech v1 3.33 or 3.12 pulley( 9-12 psi) no intercooler for like $1500 all you would need is a 340 fuel pump, 39lb injectors, tune and 3 hours to put it all in. Id stayed away from the on3 turbo kit from seeing everyone selling them and quality and fitment issues. I mean if you have the injectors your only looking at $2000 or less with a tune

FoMoCo08

LSX Slayer
Established Member
just go with a used vortech v1 3.33 or 3.12 pulley( 9-12 psi) no intercooler for like $1500 all you would need is a 340 fuel pump, 39lb injectors, tune and 3 hours to put it all in. Id stayed away from the on3 turbo kit from seeing everyone selling them and quality and fitment issues. I mean if you have the injectors your only looking at $2000 or less with a tune

What kind of power are others making on the Vortec setup ?

jtsmg

Got my head in the clouds
Established Member
buddy of mine made 48? horsepower to the wheel with a 5speed and headers with a vortech.. not sure of the boost but it was a fun car.. I picked up my GT for 2k with a blown motor and automatic.. I opted to buy a 6speed instead of building a auto.. I still have all my auto stuff just incase I change my mind later down the road. I called a few tranny places local and a fresh rebuild adding my parts was going to cost be between 500-800 for the rebuild! Parts ranged from $1000-2500 depending on who was selling them and then it was the cost of a convertor. The 6 speed with 26 spline, shifter, clutch and new flywheel was about 1500 cheaper than the auto build and convertor! besides I wanted to keep it a street car had I gone with an auto i for sure would have gutted the car to make it run the numbers lol you can check out my build thread. oh and so much for the budget for me.. could have bought a nice cobra like the one I sold on here .... Should have kept that one and kept it stock. lol I know I could have gone back with a stock motor stock t45 or 3550 and but a blower on it and had less than 7k in the whole car.. but I wanted turbo and I wanted to make as close to 650 to the wheels as I could lol.. good luck with your build and it looks good.

NC03GT

Established Member
Dom, just stick with your Termi... Big power, budget, and 2v shouldn't even be in the same paragraph!!!!! you know how much I have in my build

Users who are viewing this thread