bucking, surging, jerking Cobra

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
I did the search, so decided to ask the question. My 93 Cobra, Mods are KB2.1 Flowzilla, MSD distributer and Coil, everything else is stock, well cam from a 89 5.0, but everything else stock Cobra. I have bucking and jerking at slow speeds with light throttle. More noticeably around 1500 RPMs. Good acceleration, but once it reaches speed and cruising, I can feel/hear a skip here and there, but worst at low speeds. One more thing it does, while normal accelerations, once it reaches speed, it seems like everything stops as if I remove my foot off the gas, very noticeable, like it is hitting a limit or something. In third gear it is the worst, I go through the gears, hit third, once it reaches a point where the acceleration should stop due to throttle position, it seems like it just hit a headwind, like instantly. I don't know what is causing this. I have new plugs, wires, IAC, and TPS. Reset idle, TPS at .96. Also cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner and cleaned the throttle body thoroughly. VAC holds steady at 17-18. I tried looking for vac leaks, none to be found (used the propane and carb cleaner methods) It idles kind of roughly, it will skip here and there, but sometimes it will stumble so bad, it will almost die, then rebounds. sometimes I start it and it will die instantly. If you experienced this, chim in and let me know what you done to fix it. My next step is to pull the dizzy from my other cobra and see if the MSD distributer or coil is giving me the issues. After that, maybe putting in my 60lb injectors and remove the 24s. Any help is appreciated.

psycholx

Established Member
Do you have a check engine light?

How is the car tuned?

Ever been dyno tuned?

Has it always done as you describe or is this recent?

Car had race engine, removed and returned to stock engine with the blower. No tune, just running the stock ECM. Never dyno since I have had it. It had these symptoms for a while, I have been constanly testing, reading, etc trying to chase this down. I did switch out the MSD dizzy with an OEM unit and it idles much better, much smoother. I will use this dizzy for a few days to see what happens. I plan on putting the 60 lb injectors in, but want to make sure all is good before adding anything else. its a daily driver and weekend toy, nothing drastic. thanks for your reply.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
How is the blower compensated for in the setup - an fmu or boost a pump or something?

Are you going to chip for the 60# injectors? If not, it's not going to run very well.

Did the race motor run the same blower, or?

There's a lot of possible things that could be happening here.

The car should run with the 24's, although they could be maxed out under full boost. Your MAF could be pegged under full boost as well. I suggest you stay out of the boost until you see what is going on.

Can you run the car without the belt on the blower? Would be interesting to see if that helps.

Is CEL lit?

psycholx

Established Member
How is the blower compensated for in the setup - an fmu or boost a pump or something?

Are you going to chip for the 60# injectors? If not, it's not going to run very well.

Did the race motor run the same blower, or?

There's a lot of possible things that could be happening here.

The car should run with the 24's, although they could be maxed out under full boost. Your MAF could be pegged under full boost as well. I suggest you stay out of the boost until you see what is going on.

Can you run the car without the belt on the blower? Would be interesting to see if that helps.

Is CEL lit?

Yes, same blower on the race engine. It has a boost a pump. It has a tweecer rt for tuning but run off stock data now.. i am not running it hard, no wot blast, just want to get driveability down for now.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
My suggestion would be to go back to the tweecer rt tune that was on the car before the swap (assuming the car ran fine with the old engine).

You've not mentioned induction but it could be as simple as the MAF transfer curve is way different than the stock tables, or any other number of items.

Honestly, assuming all is ok mechanically, you need to get to a tuner that can datalog and figure out what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread