Bubble in factory nav screen fix/replace?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Somehow a bubble has formed under the fuser in the middle of my factory nav screen, as a result the radio thinks only that spot is being pressed.
Looks like that part BR3Z10E899A
Can any 10-14 screen work?
Is no longer made. Only place I've found one was in Canada for about $1800us $2400 can

Anyone know where I can find a new/used one or a place that might be able to repair my screen?

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I found a place in Florida that could repair for $300 not including shipping my entire system and it taking 3 business days to get there, 3 to repair, 3 to return, which would have been fine if I still had the escape, but ~2 weeks of whatever i set the climate control at when i pulled it out would suck. Figured turn it hot and pull the blower fuse. I have them saved.

I found another place on eBay that has remanufactured screens for ~$360 and pulled the trigger. Could have gone cheaper on a used but I kept that damn screen flawless... I'll spend extra to have it refreshed. Supposed to be here by Wed. Has a 6 month warranty.

Even with no more map updates I prefer the stock system over most aftermarket options, would love to swap sync 3 in there with android auto. Hell if they had one of those android screens that retained sirius and the factory system (ive seen on some 1g raptors), and had a sim card slot I might switch. But just to swap out to a new double din is still ridiculous, especially with the dash kits not being just a $20 piece of plastic.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
You made a good choice. No way I'd put a ton of money into outdated factory stuff.
The next time it needs a screen I'll go aftermarket.
It seems like if I can get a decade out of this one I'll be happy.
I've got the added ability to mirracast to the oem head unit using a lockpick. It helps fill the gaps. I can mirror my phones screen to the factory and get waze or Google maps or let passengers watch videos, or 99% of the time I use it to show gauges using Torque.
But it works well enough stock I don't have to have a phone connected for it to work. Out in Western Kansas, Eastern Colorado cell phone data can be spotty. Sat radio is a must on the 8hr drive. Unless you have a huge library on a local device like an iPod.
Even with the "latest" maps for the oem several major interchanges in Wichita are missing/wrong. Like major interstate bridges not even showing up that were done by the time the S550 came out.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Fun twist...

After getting out to the car at 6pm (we were in the 80s today had been <50s)

Bubble is gone!
And I already have tracking info for the new one lol

Touchscreen that was dead to the world this morning to any touch input, worked just like when it was new this afternoon.
The Bubble was a bit smaller than a dime. It had been hanging around the middle- right most of the week, and would move when you pressed the screen toward the area you were touching. I'll be damned but there wasn't a trace of it when I got in and stated her up.

Cold front is moving through as we speak, should get us below freezing this weekend. I'll see if it returns with the cold as I'm assuming it will.
To be continued.

EDIT,
38*F and bubble has returned, now bigger roughly 3in wide 3/4in tall. Hopefully the "new" screen stays sealed longer.

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
"New" screen is in and seems to be working.

This is the oem, you can see the corners where the home button is got hit a few times. Easier to see / and take a picture of the bubble now that it is outside the car.

If you see this on your screen and its not responding to touch, it's the fuser.
1991ff1822b00409bde56679647645d4.jpg

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
First day out with clear skies and the display seems much dimmer than the oem. Even with the brightness maxed out it's like it's only ~50-60% what the original would do. The whites do not "pop" anymore. I have a glass roof and it has always been very visible even in the brightest sun, so long as you were not seeing a direct reflection of the sun itself.
I'm talking with the company who did the unit, might see if they can send another or hopefully redo the fuser on my original.
The first two are pictures of the original, the 5 latter are the new one. New one looks fine in the dark, but during the day it stinks compared to the oem.

EDIT: Looks like they will try to fix my original, it will not make it to them until Monday, but hopefully by this time next week i'll have a working screen. Sent back the dim refurbed unit today.
So no display... using sync and my favorites buttons for radio. I have the climate set on 70 and I'm counting how many times i hit it. (Although I can say "climate, set temperature xx* hitting the button is easier.)

Attachments

• IMAG0340.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190628_171751.jpg
    20190628_171751.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201029_112205.jpg
    20201029_112205.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201029_112211.jpg
    20201029_112211.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20201029_112217.jpg
    20201029_112217.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20201029_112308.jpg
    20201029_112308.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20201029_112326.jpg
    20201029_112326.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Got my oem back with a new fuser looks and works very well and cost ~$175 before shipping. Definitely brighter again and working like new!
I'll get some day picks tomorrow.

Place is "OEM car audio" out of Burnsville, MN
www.cd4car.com

9b3200fecf7e70a2e15bf54c65d7e252.jpg

Edit. The new fuser is working, seems a bit like it is shinier and a bit more polarized like sunglasses, especially looking at angles. Not as bright in direct sun and shows more reflections, but still seems brighter than the reman.
Hopefully with a bit of use it will loose some of the gloss and help with reflection.
Overall I can't complain, its not 100% the same as factory but it's close enough now that I'm happy.
0c0c9f736d22a7775990b757be354c51.jpg
267e4083fd5f90a8d59d5fb402f2a63f.jpg

Attachments

• ea157a2808a71e47e84cd237ca7fc019.jpg
    ea157a2808a71e47e84cd237ca7fc019.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

14MustangDriver

Established Member
I wish my '14 had the nav setup but i just pulled the trigger on a tesla style screen for my car apparently it's just plug and play or pray however you want to go about it but the only thing i lose is my cd player so i figure i'll hide a 5Tb hard drive behind the dash for music purposes and being Bluetooth and android i should be able to add music when i see fit. i won't have it installed till the spring as we are in bands of rain storms here in British Columbia but the telsa screen is all touch screen
4_98e1bf68-36f4-4ccd-b713-2dc92c0e8274_1024x1024.png
6_77f39fb8-a091-4da4-9734-a5d9eb33af8b_1024x1024.png

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Its very easy to get most of the stereo out. I got it down to <10mins. The hardest are the cables on the back of the main HU with the DVD drive.
Pull up the center console (im manual) put the car in 2 4 or 6 or R.
Unplug the 3 buttons for the traction control, trunk, hazards.
Move the console back then its 2 7mm screws at the bottom. After that a pry tool on each side to pull the front bezel. Then more 7mm bolts for the radio hardware, in my case 6. Then its just getting behind the pieces to unplug the cables (that are short).

I figure in the next decade I'll do a similar upgrade to an android hu. Just needs 2 things.

1. A sim card slot (so it can work without a phone acting as a hotspot)
2. Native support for SiriusXM. I go places where cell signals are iffy at best... I enjoy talk as much as music. (Depending in my mood.) Some of the screens for the F150 can display the stock nav screen and features as well as use the sirius tuner. Otherwise its using a standalone tuner which is half-assed.

Last edited:

14MustangDriver

Established Member
Its very easy to get most of the stereo out. I got it down to <10mins. The hardest are the cables on the back of the main HU with the DVD drive.
Pull up the center console (im manual) put the car in 2 4 or 6 or R.
Unplug the 3 buttons for the traction control, trunk, hazards.
Move the console back then its 2 7mm screws at the bottom. After that a pry tool on each side to pull the front bezel. Then more 7mm bolts for the radio hardware, in my case 6. Then its just getting behind the pieces to unplug the cables (that are short).

I figure in the next decade I'll do a similar upgrade to an android hu. Just needs 2 things.

1. A sim card slot (so it can work without a phone acting as a hotspot)
2. Native support for SiriusXM. I go places where cell signals are iffy at best... I enjoy talk as much as music. (Depending in my mood.) Some of the screens for the F150 can display the stock nav screen and features as well as use the sirius tuner. Otherwise its using a standalone tuner which is half-assed.

when i contacted them they have a usb dvd drive that can be purchased but i didn't want to shell out another 89 dollars when i could use the usb hook up for a 5Tb portable hard drive that i can velcro to the backside of the panel and it's out of sight out of mind unless i want to add more music to the hard-drive. I have 256 GB card in my phone and i only use maybe 100 GB with pictures so the 5 Tb should be more than sufficient as for Sirius XM i honestly don't use it but they told me i wouldn't lose the ability to use sirius radio if my car came equipped with it. like i said it won't get installed till the new year as the weather here has forced the parking of the mustang till mar/apr 2021 then i'll look into it a lot more but from the reviews i have seen it looks pretty good and has 4Gb of ram and 32GB rom so it is pretty self contained unit

as for sirius xm in canada i had the 3 months free with car purchase then they tried to hit me with a 300 renewal... not a fan of paying that much to listen to the radio, sure it's good to put on a metal channel when driving but it doesn't warrant that much per month , its like as soon as it crosses the border it gets marked up 350% and car parts are the worst

Flowmaster Outlaw catback 695USD i paid over 1100 in canada and another 400 to install it to have it taken back off because my landlord said he was getting too many complaints and if i didn't quiet it down i would have to move

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Well not quite a month in, drove the 500+ miles/ 8hr to Denver and 500/ 8hr back for Thanksgiving. Asside the time I'm working she's in a finished garage overnight until Thanksgiving.
It started acting up a bit on the way up there, registering touches in the lower right instead of the actual spot, would hit the climate instead of the map screen on the left to go fullscreen, but after a few presses it would finally hit.
Sat Thanksgiving outside. Got in Friday morning and it's barely registering any presses anywhere, just use my voice to navigate. And it basically quit responding before I evenhit Hwy 86 out of Castle Rock.

Should have a 90 day warranty. I messed with it today and just pulled it out and wrapped it in a towel and sat it in the trunk. Looks like another 7 business days with no display.
(Why it did this after my daily was totaled I have no clue...)
I'll let everyone know how it goes.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It has been on the bench the past 2 days. They were unable to immediately repeat the error, probably from being unused and in a cold box for a few days. They went ahead and replaced the fuser just incase and have had it heat cycling the past two days.
So far so good, It should be shipped out this evening, so I'll probably see it on Tues and give you an update.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Got it back yesterday, and installed last night. So far so good!
They replaced the fuser, even though it was working for them by the time it got to them, just incase. This one seems a bit more like stock when it comes it the feel of the touches/inputs.

We'll see how she does in 2 weeks on another Colorado trip, so long as they don't have a few feet of snow.
525309951e08b2eaba48967b381a6d79.jpg

73ded9fe0c004aca99072b8e3a6e4ce4.jpg

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It failed again in January. I'm sure they would have warranted it but that fuser just never worked or looked like oem.
I ordered a used screen on ebay with a factory fuser, showed some wear, but I used some meguiars plastix and polished the screen to like new using a random orbital and a cutting pad. I just taped off the metal edges to protect the pad and prevent metal shavings going into the pad/scratching the screen.
Works in -20 and over 70* and in direct sunlight again.

Users who are viewing this thread