Bronco Raptor Hits the Dyno at Livernois Motorsports | Power Numbers Inside!!!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Bronco Raptor Hits the Dyno at Livernois Motorsports | Power Numbers Inside!!!

BRaptor_Dyno_009.jpg

No trip to Detroit would be complete without stopping by @Livernois Motorsports for a visit. Since I had the Bronco Raptor with me, and it was obviously thoroughly broken-in with ~100 miles on it, I thought it would be a good idea to get some dyno numbers on it. Since I had just picked it up it had a tank full of mystery fuel supplied by the dealership. We were obviously dyno ready... Here's how the runs turned out:

After driving back to SC I had a chance to more closely review the dyno charts. Surprisingly, the third pull was the best one. Once I applied the SAE correction factor to it, the final numbers were 315 HP @ 5400 RPM and 362 lb-ft @ 3700RPM. Considering the factors mentioned above and the low 90s temperatures I'd say those numbers are decent. The factory rating is 418HP and 440 lb-ft, and the drivetrain contains far more rotating mass than your average truck.

BRaptor_Dyno_01.jpg

The torque curve is pretty good, but some tuning could make it better. You can def see that the boost is building slower than what would be optimal. Being able to make the pull in a taller gear would help as well. More on that in the future.

BRaptor_Dyno_004.jpg

The distinctive amber lights of the BRaptor look great.

BRaptor_Dyno_007.jpg

She's almost too wide for the rollers on Livernois's AWD dyno. Their other dynos were tied up with other projects this day.

We made these pulls in 4th gear in order to avoid hitting any factory limiters. 4th is 1.76:1, which is not ideal (notice the relatively short sounding pulls in the vid). Had we made the runs in 7th gear (1:1) I would expect the power numbers to be a bit higher. Turbos love load, 7th would likely have allowed them to make more boost and therefore increase torque production.

The numbers are also pretty similar to those from a stock Explorer ST, which also comes equipped with the 3.0L EcoBoost. However, the BRaptor has unique (supposedly larger) turbos. Bigger turbos could also produced the softer torque production on the bottom end that we're seeing. More testing will sort that out.

We have another dyno session planned (along with some power mod installs) in the near future at a couple different shops. I'm interested in seeing what difference a verified tank of South Carolina 93 Octane and several hundred more miles on the clock makes. It'll all be posted here on SVTP. Big thanks to the crew at Livernois for their hospitality.

BRaptor_Dyno_003.jpg

The metric Dana 50 rear axle stands out with its cast aluminum cover.

BRaptor_Dyno_006.jpg

The BRaptor's 37-Inch BFGs create an imposing presence, but take a lot of power to turn.

BRaptor_Dyno_008.jpg

Any guess how much more power we'll squeeze out of the 3.0L EcoBoost in the next few weeks?

-SID297

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I really want to love that truck but ford dropped the ball on those fender designs.

Like the Ford raptor they did some nice fender moldings to complete the look. Here they just slapped on some wide ass fenders and called it.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
"Since I had the Bronco Raptor with me, and it was obviously thoroughly broken-in with ~100 miles on it"

Lol, my first thought when I saw the YouTube video notification was "what he just got that thing".

Here I am gently breaking my bronco in until it has 1,000 miles on the clock. I haven't even went over 3000 rpm in mine yet.

You definitely have more guts that i do....

Looking forward to seeing more bronco content here and on the channel in the future.

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I really want to love that truck but ford dropped the ball on those fender designs.

Like the Ford raptor they did some nice fender moldings to complete the look. Here they just slapped on some wide ass fenders and called it.

I get your point, but hold your final judgement until you see one in person.

"Since I had the Bronco Raptor with me, and it was obviously thoroughly broken-in with ~100 miles on it"

Lol, my first thought when I saw the YouTube video notification was "what he just got that thing".

Here I am gently breaking my bronco in until it has 1,000 miles on the clock. I haven't even went over 3000 rpm in mine yet.

You definitely have more guts that i do....

Looking forward to seeing more bronco content here and on the channel in the future.

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

100 miles and questionable fuel??? Yeeeeett!!!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I think they'll get the factory flywheel rating at the wheels once they are done tuning it on 93.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
For comparison, an otherwise stock Explorer ST tuned on 93 should be 430ish awhp/490ish awtq
I'm sure ZFG will get more power out of it than Livernois, but to keep it apples to apples (same tuner) I'm thinking the Bronco will make a touch more than a Livernois tuned Explorer ST.

I had an MKS tuned by Livernois for almost 6 years and it ran great. Plenty of tuners have come forward who seem to eek out more power without affecting reliability, so it comes down to what you're seeking. ZFG, GearHead, AJPturbo, Ortiz, etc can make some magic happen for sure!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Adam at ZFG is the best!

But wow, the Bronco's power looks disappointing. Should've just put the ST engine instead.

Regarding the Bronco's turbos, I remember reading the turbo compressor are the same size just modified turbine blades vs the ST. So not exactly bigger turbo's.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Adam at ZFG is the best!

But wow, the Bronco's power looks disappointing. Should've just put the ST engine instead.

Regarding the Bronco's turbos, I remember reading the turbo compressor are the same size just modified turbine blades vs the ST. So not exactly bigger turbo's.
I’d suspect those 37” rubbers have something to do with it.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sure ZFG will get more power out of it than Livernois, but to keep it apples to apples (same tuner) I'm thinking the Bronco will make a touch more than a Livernois tuned Explorer ST.

I had an MKS tuned by Livernois for almost 6 years and it ran great. Plenty of tuners have come forward who seem to eek out more power without affecting reliability, so it comes down to what you're seeking. ZFG, GearHead, AJPturbo, Ortiz, etc can make some magic happen for sure!
On a stock power plant and same fuel, I don’t see how one tuner would be significantly higher without increasing risk.
Livernois has worked with Ford on the Ecoboost from the beginning.
I don’t have a dog in this fight, just saying tuning is fairly basic when you’re talking max power if fuel and hard parts are the same.
Now the trans and driveability, that’s a different story.
I’m not well versed in Ecoboost tuning options but I’ll look at ZFG.
I’ve always like your sleepers and those Hot Rod Lincolns! Hope to add a tuned Aviator soon.
-J

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This thing a dog under 3k rpm. 5.0L would have made this thing a beast. Too bad.

I think a lot that is not loading it enough to spool the turbos down low. Running in 7th gear would probably help. We have two more dyno sessions coming up in the next few days. We'll play with it a bit more then.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
I think a lot that is not loading it enough to spool the turbos down low. Running in 7th gear would probably help. We have two more dyno sessions coming up in the next few days. We'll play with it a bit more then.
I drove the explorer and almost got rocked in a 4 way intersection as a truck was coming and the exploder bogged hard while i was in its path. Actually scared me. No balls at all.

Users who are viewing this thread