Broken header stud help HELP !!!!!!!

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
So I am replacing the oil pan in my 98 Windstar due to heavy rust and it is now leaking out the side of the pan. Yeah this is my winter Cobra... HA HA.

Anyway removing the cats I broke one of the rear studs off. Now there is still good thread left on it and I cant see anyway of getting it out easy so I am looking for other fixes.

Nope I don't have a welder so that is out.

bolt-vi.jpg
stud-vi.jpg

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Yeah I wanted to do that but there is zero room to move a Vice Grips.

Off subject.....Nice Video you have there, got a name for the actress and movie or clip name for the whole thing?

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
GOOD LUCK! Had the same thing happen on my car and ended up having to take it to a my friend who is an 'at home' side mechanic to have it drilled out. Mine was like that, then after the heat it broke off flush with the manifold. He told me it took him 3 hours and $50 worth of drill bits to do it...

I tried an air powered drill and bits at home and it wouldn't even make a dimple in it. You might get lucky, some people do, some people dont.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
You got a camera in there. Stop being a pussy and buy a small set of vice grips. If you have to get some bolt losner. Then let is sit over night. Pray for the best.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I am thinking of bending the flange on the cats and grinding away some metal on the flange cause it is like almost 1/2 inch thick and then threading the broken stud first. This may buy me the little bit I need to re-attach it.

But still looking for better ideas.

yzracer931

Established Member
Drill or heat and vise grips. Where there is a will there is a way. I had to drill out a broken head stud that was red loc tited into a block once, never thought I would get it out but with a little patience it came out.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
The camera is at the edge to where it looks like tons of room.

I can attach a small vice grips but not move it at all, I know it looks like I have a massive amount of space.

IMG_1106-vi.jpg

You got a camera in there. Stop being a pussy and buy a small set of vice grips. If you have to get some bolt losner. Then let is sit over night. Pray for the best.

93stang5.0

Established Member
If you have a welder around you might can weld a nut to the broken bolt. I would use a arc welder if avaiable. At the same time the heat from the welder might help you out too.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Use a saw or cut off tool or dremel and cut a groove in the end of it. Put a long screwdriver in it and turn it out with a pair of vice grips or a wrench on the screwdriver after heating the stud up till it's cherry red.

Or spin 2 nuts on the stud and try to turn it out that way.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
remove the manifold and then apply heat and twist back and forth to break loose the rust build up. it shouldnt be too hard as the engine cover comes off and the bolts are right there.

once off you have a better chance of getting it out over mangling the shit out of the stud.

or if you have time, find a stud extractor set and pray that it works. if you can find an easy out socket set that will fit the base of the stud at the flange it will give better leverage.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
remove the manifold and then apply heat and twist back and forth to break loose the rust build up. it shouldnt be too hard as the engine cover comes off and the bolts are right there.

once off you have a better chance of getting it out over mangling the shit out of the stud.

or if you have time, find a stud extractor set and pray that it works. if you can find an easy out socket set that will fit the base of the stud at the flange it will give better leverage.

The easier way is not nearly as much fun Kevin.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Yeah removing the manifold will be breaking things off in the head. The Windstar spent all of its life in Wisconsin salted winters.

I ground down the cat flange cause it is like almost 1/2 inch thick. I bought a new bolt and it threads on perfect to the broken stud. I plan on heating up the flange tomorrow and bend it a little to five some slack.

I figure if I get the nut threaded on completely threaded on it will hold on.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I got it all fixed. I got the new bolt threaded on almost all the way on the broken stud and it seems to be holding for now.

Any issues later on I will have a stud tack welded onto it if it backs off.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

flange-vi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread