Broke the lower pulley

tv’s 03

Established Member
I guess I didn’t know that the stock lower pulley was a weakness on a 2.9 Whipple car at just 600 rwhp, but I nailed it in second then hit third and the car fell on its face and the battery light came on. I assumed a broken belt, but it was still on. The 14 mm hex is just turning inside the pulley when the car is running so no boost and no alternator. I looked for an aftermarket solution and was doing some homework and didn’t see any aftermarket “caged” pulleys. So I got a stock one on the way from eBay. Is it just going to break again? Is there any caged alternatives? I saw some broken cranks and heard stories or worn main bearings on no. Caged pulleys so I wasn’t comfortable with those

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
So is a metco lower a bad idea, had this in my winter plans? Seems pretty dumb we have to take of the lower to mess with the accessory drive in stock configuration.

cobracide

Established Member
So is a metco lower a bad idea, had this in my winter plans? Seems pretty dumb we have to take of the lower to mess with the accessory drive in stock configuration.
It's been done thousands of times with no issue, but there's always a risk. I guess you can just keep your car stock if you are worried.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It's been done thousands of times with no issue, but there's always a risk. I guess you can just keep your car stock if you are worried.
Well I'll be taking the lower off this winter to replace all the idlers with metcos and new belts, tensioners etc. Just thought it would be a good time to do a metco lower for making things easier next time. My car won't be dragged or running a ton of boost. I didn't think the stock cage was that great of a benefit.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i'm dealing with lower pulley headaches right now too, i must have run the car for too long with a front oil leak so all three rubber bushings are toast.

i have a metco stock sized lower ready to go on, but would prefer to use the stock caged setup. i just like the idea of keeping it stock and think that it was designed to support it there for a good reason.

but if i can't get this thing apart to replace the bushings though, then i will install the metco.

op - curious to know exactly where it is spinning, can you post up some pics? thx

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea. As mentioned it's been done a lot. Just don't get crazy with belt tension. I also prefer the caged set up as a little extra safety for the crank.

How often are you really dealing with the accessory drive though?

tv’s 03

Established Member
i'm dealing with lower pulley headaches right now too, i must have run the car for too long with a front oil leak so all three rubber bushings are toast.

i have a metco stock sized lower ready to go on, but would prefer to use the stock caged setup. i just like the idea of keeping it stock and think that it was designed to support it there for a good reason.

but if i can't get this thing apart to replace the bushings though, then i will install the metco.

op - curious to know exactly where it is spinning, can you post up some pics? thx
I haven’t taken pics but the dampener is spinning the inner belt. the middle of the pulley, where the hex key is, is turning but not the pulley . Is it possible this could be welded?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I went with metco after rebuilding mine many times.

Rubber wore out but I went longer and post that hold rubber wore out the metal pulley ,,

There weren't designed to rebuild,but can be done ,

That Allen bolt when I took off tri,bar it took threads with it,had to file new threads to get it back on which makes me wonder if you found a old broken cage (worn rubbers) to use the bolt from that to repair yours ..

I've only seen about a dozen threads over the yrs on that bolt snapping

tv’s 03

Established Member
Doesn’t look repairable to me, I would need both pieces, but I’m also thinking the bearing the pulley rides on would also need to be repaired

Users who are viewing this thread