Broke her cherry

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
I finally started moving forward with my basic bolt on mods for the 2013 GT500.
You heavily modified guys are worlds ahead, but Im pretty excited. All I have added since the Nitto drag radials are JLT big air intake and a custom tune. All I can say is wow! I have tuned and added cold air intakes on every muscle car Ive ever owned, but the increase in throttle response and torque is simply amazing for such an easy mod on the shelby. I am thoroughly pleased. Cant wait to do the smaller pulley and 4.11 rear gears now...

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Congrats on the upgrades....." JLT big air intake and a custom tune. "
Who did the tuning & where was the shop located ??
All I have done so far (tuning wise) is get the Bama cloud tune with the rev X tuner. Its pretty aggresive already. But when I do the rear gears, pulley, exhaust and all, Ill have Kurgan Motorsports here in Gainesville do my dyno tuning. His shop is only about 3 miles from my home.

RBB

Established Member
Taking it to a shop = custom tuning, best tuning is done on the street.
Anything you can order on the phone or by e-mail = canned !!
Do you really think there's a difference between your tuner taking your car out on the street and making tweaks to the tune by reviewing logs vs another tuner reviewing the street logs you're taking and making tweaks remotely? Assuming they're both taking the same level of care with things, there's no difference. The big names are all starting with a canned tune that they've developed by tuning hundreds/thousands of other GT500s with your particular combo and making small tweaks to it based off of your individual datalogs.

That said, I would stay far away from Bama, OP. Spend your money on a quality tune....Lund, VMP, JDM, etc.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I've run a Lund canned tune for the last 4 years or so, shortly after I first loaded it in I did a few logs for them to review...…………….all was good and I haven't touched it since.

Drove my car @ Daytona on the Rolex course with this tune...………...full throttle, hard braking, heel toe d/shifts etc etc the engine rocked on both days and obviously still fine.

Nothing wrong with a canned tune if done by Lund, not sure and don't care about the abilities of the other tuners I'm sure they do fine.

Tony

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Do you really think there's a difference between your tuner taking your car out on the street and making tweaks to the tune by reviewing logs vs another tuner reviewing the street logs you're taking and making tweaks remotely? Assuming they're both taking the same level of care with things, there's no difference. The big names are all starting with a canned tune that they've developed by tuning hundreds/thousands of other GT500s with your particular combo and making small tweaks to it based off of your individual datalogs.

That said, I would stay far away from Bama, OP. Spend your money on a quality tune....Lund, VMP, JDM, etc.
Thanks for all of the advice. Yeah I will probably go with an ngauge and Lund tune when I go to Kurgan’s. I can honestly say that for right now it sure is running real strong and crisp. Even cleared up a slight part throttle stumble I have experienced off and on. Idles real smooth too. I tend to agree. I have used Lund in the past on a heavily modded 2017 Mustang GT with pretty good results. Seems to be the favored tuner and device out there.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Yes.
You read all the time about driveability or lack of with some tunes. This is what is missed by reviewing logs.
The " big names " or " tuner factories " don't & won't put the time in on " your " tune, but they will send you as many revisions as they need to to get it right.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Thanks for all of the advice. Yeah I will probably go with an ngauge and Lund tune when I go to Kurgan’s. I can honestly say that for right now it sure is running real strong and crisp. Even cleared up a slight part throttle stumble I have experienced off and on. Idles real smooth too. I tend to agree. I have used Lund in the past on a heavily modded 2017 Mustang GT with pretty good results. Seems to be the favored tuner and device out there.
If you go to Kurgans, he will tune it as good as any in the business. Especially if he is building and modding the car for you.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
All I have done so far (tuning wise) is get the Bama cloud tune with the rev X tuner. Its pretty aggresive already. But when I do the rear gears, pulley, exhaust and all, Ill have Kurgan Motorsports here in Gainesville do my dyno tuning. His shop is only about 3 miles from my home.
Dump Bama asap. They dont write tunes for most of the cars they "support". Its typically a ghost tuner.

I know its just for an intake, but honestly they are not highly regarded at all.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Dump Bama asap. They dont write tunes for most of the cars they "support". Its typically a ghost tuner.

I know its just for an intake, but honestly they are not highly regarded at all.
Thanks man. Your not the first one to tell me that. Why is that? Are they just no good? The reason I ask is their customer service was really helpful and man she runs sweet right now. Seems like everyone thinks they are crap though. I will definitely go with lund when I go deeper on my mods. I had a virgin revX tuner is why I gave them a shot for the temporary. Thanks again for the input lexustech48.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thanks man. Your not the first one to tell me that. Why is that? Are they just no good? The reason I ask is their customer service was really helpful and man she runs sweet right now. Seems like everyone thinks they are crap though. I will definitely go with lund when I go deeper on my mods. I had a virgin revX tuner is why I gave them a shot for the temporary. Thanks again for the input lexustech48.
No worries. For simple things like a few minor bolt ons, they will do in a pinch. As you have a real shop ready to handle the big boy tuning Im less concerned as a fellow Shelby owner.

So, a place like Lund Racing has a data base of known-good information and calibration details for a huge variety of modifications. You submit all the details of your car, and they compile a tune for you. Some of it may not be any different from your factory tune, and some might be slight mods to your MAF transfer curve (intake) or A/F sensor delay (long tube headers). Some might be completely different fueling tables based on fuel and boost. Either way, your car is sent a base tune. You install and log it while driving a specific set of conditions. Send that data to Lund and they review. If they are happy with how your car responded to the base tune, they send you the actual full send tune.

Bama is essentially ghost tuned and are sending out precanned tunes. Like maybe a few more degrees of timing on what a base Lund tune would be. They have also been known to manipulate the throttle angle tables to make it "feel" more aggressive. So you press the gas 25% of the way. If stock was meant to move the throttle blade to 25% open, they would command it 35% open etc.

Realistically its fine for your average Mustang GT owner looking for a bit more spunk. If not done correctly, a bad tune for a boosted car could be disastrous.

Users who are viewing this thread