Bringing the 4lb Caged lower back from the Dead?

NMB2

Established Member
The mandrel indexes into the IW hub, then uses the 6 case bolts to keep it in.

Attachments

• RevCMandrel.jpg
    RevCMandrel.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 378

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I wonder how it's less harsh on the crank and #1 tho as oppose to the upgraded bushings people are using in their caged lowers

NMB2

Established Member
The bushings are not needed to help the crank snout or #1, those are there to attempt to create a damper for the weak tri-bar and threaded shaft assembly.

The J2 support does not need bushings, its hard mounted and keeps the crank centered.

It creates a support in front of the blower pulley so the snout is not being bent. Its taking the leverage completely away from the blower drive.

NMB2

Established Member
Yes, a person could probably build a similar setup using the factory cage mounting bracket and save a lot of money.

I don't see it, not anything on the same caliber as what is pictured above at least.

If somebody was not capable of designing this and building it from scratch before seeing the post, it is far more likely that they will end up with something that knocks bearings out.

Only one way to find out though....

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't see it, not anything on the same caliber as what is pictured above at least.

If somebody was not capable of designing this and building it from scratch before seeing the post, it is far more likely that they will end up with something that knocks bearings out.

Only one way to find out though....

Some of you guys have to remember that there are varying degrees of need. The J2fab/whipple setup is probably not even stressed on the most extreme builds running 4.0l blowers.

A budget built home built kit that adds support would be helpful for most.

NMB2

Established Member
Some of you guys have to remember that there are varying degrees of need. The J2fab/whipple setup is probably not even stressed on the most extreme builds running 4.0l blowers.

A budget built home built kit that adds support would be helpful for most.

My comment had almost nothing to do with strength. It has to do with precision. There are not varying degrees of precision on an item like this.

Somebody doing a "budget home built" kit likely has nothing better than calipers to measure with, and that's not going to cut it.... let alone a lathe or milling tools with at least DRO.

I'm all for guys taking on projects of their own, but you're not going to save money doing it in your garage and get anywhere close to the result as what has been posted above. Its just not realistic.

cj428mach

Established Member
My comment had almost nothing to do with strength. It has to do with precision. There are not varying degrees of precision on an item like this.

Somebody doing a "budget home built" kit likely has nothing better than calipers to measure with, and that's not going to cut it.... let alone a lathe or milling tools with at least DRO.

I'm all for guys taking on projects of their own, but you're not going to save money doing it in your garage and get anywhere close to the result as what has been posted above. Its just not realistic.

No it definitely would require machining and few probably are delusional enough to think they can weld a pipe to flange, slide a bearing on and go.

94slowbra1

Established Member
there are some things im willing to take on and some im not. this seems above the grade of most home garages and the dyi builder.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm definitely very interested. So how's the crankshaft being supported is my big question. I keep looking at the pictures and can't figure it out

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm definitely very interested. So how's the crankshaft being supported is my big question. I keep looking at the pictures and can't figure it out
A mandrel is bolted to the crankshaft. That mandrel fits into a bearing on the big plate. The plate is hard mounted to the engine with the bolts and stand offs.

Users who are viewing this thread