Bringing a Cobra to Hawaii

coremaster21

Established Member
I recently got orders to Hawaii and I will be moving there next year. My question is if you guys think it would be a good idea to bring my 03 cobra there. I have been without it for two years now and probably have drove it 100 miles within my two years of ownership and it has been awful. It stays at my parents house in the garage so I only drive it when I visit them which is like 3 times a year. But because of that it is in amazing condition and has 60,000 miles.

The military will pay to ship it out there so that is not a problem. I will probably not be able to store it in a garage the first year or so, it will probably hang out under a cover in the parking lot. I am aware of the weather there and the salt in the air but is it really that bad? I am going to be there for about 4 years and I would try to get an apartment with a garage at some point to store it.

My plan is to start making videos on Youtube and Instagram if I bring it but I don't want to ruin it with the so called salty weather. What would you guys do? Any recommendations are welcomed and any suggestions about living in Hawaii are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I would leave it at your parents house if it’s not in the way. I bought a vehicle from the coast here in SoCal it had a lot of hidden rust, I could only imagine it being stuck on a island. Also I hear cops drive there personal cars there so they’re extra sneaky. I’d keep it well preserved at your parents house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I also would also leave it at your parents house. It sucks not having it but at least you know it's safe and sound.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Bring it over and drive it. It is worthless sitting at your parent's place undriven. If you want to make youtube videos and instagram photos, you need to drive it often!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What's the point in owning it if you can't drive it?

You'll probably have some of the most memorable experiences with it out there.

And Josh is right, I bet the value rockets if you sell it out there due to difficulty of getting one.

coremaster21

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys, really a tough decision. Might just end up buying a 350z while there, really dig those.

Gravik

Established Member
Bring it.

If you had an s550 though I would suggest selling and getting something else lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
Worst comes to worse you don’t like it and you could sell it for some good money on the island

My vote was "leave it" until I read this comment... You could make a good chunk of change selling it after 4 years...

Zemedici

Established Member
My vote was "leave it" until I read this comment... You could make a good chunk of change selling it after 4 years...

that's what I was thinking, he could sell for a premium because the car is there already....simple sale. I bet he'd have to beat the sellers away with a stick. hahaha

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I just got back from Oahu and Maui, I have been there before. Honestly, just buy something inexpensive there and leave the Cobra behind. It is going to get some abuse there, it could be fine in some places, but wont be in others. It is sandy, salty, windy, bumpy, dirty, rocky... and there is a decent chance it will get broken into or hit. Our rental even got a little abused while we had it.

I was just thinking, while I was there, that I wouldnt take my cars there...

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Lived there for 3 years.

Had my 2011 GT and 2002 2.3 KB Lightning.

The good:

The weather.
The views for photo ops.
The weather.
A few car shows, and a couple of mustang groups that meet up.

The bad:

The traffic. And low speed limits.
People can’t drive.
People can’t park.
Thieves.
The water (sprinklers, hose, car washes) is full of minerals. You will get really really bad water spots if you don’t keep up with your car.

raustin0017

Established Member
Don't ship it over unless you plan on selling it over there. Roads are crap, traffic is crazy and it will get damaged or broken into. Enjoy your time and buy a used beater and save the coin your going to pocked from the COLA.

Good luck....

VegasMichael

Established Member
When I was in the Navy they offered to ship my car for free; however, their idea of shipping was taking it on an aircraft carrier. I was worried about insurance coverage so I called my insurer and they said NO WAY will we cover your car on a warship in the Pacific Ocean. Needless to say I made other arrangements. I've spent a great deal of time in Hawaii and to be honest I wouldn't take it unless, like Josh stated, you would want to sell it there.

Users who are viewing this thread