Breather pop off on turbo setup?

brigs

Established Member
Currently my turbo car is just venting to atmosphere - all over engine bay - no catch can or breather setup. Bought the car that way, previous owner said he just never got around to it. I don't drive it often, but the oil makes a mess over time. Car is currently in the shop having some wiring work done, triple pumps, etc. and they told me that breathers won't work on my setup because they'll pop off under high boost (around 16+ pounds). Is there any truth to that?

I see plenty of people run breathers on their boosted setups, and it's a less expensive alternative. As I just spent a lot of money correcting several things on the car, I would rather not have to spend a bunch right now on a full vented catch can setup. The plan is to eventually go that route, but when I do it I want to do it right, and that's $$$.

Will breathers work for now while I plan out the next step?
What do you guys recommend?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ur squawking over the cost of a breather set up? That will the absolute least expensive thing u will ever do to a Turbo car. They're like $100 bro.

Pretty simple plumb between valve cover and intake. There isn't gonna be any pressurization cause ur only doing one side. Or use one of the non-vented ones, and route the return/outlet back to the intake elbow.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I run a UPR catch can on one side, and a breather on the other. 12# of boost
Admittedly, the turbo game is new to me, only about 1000 miles on the setup.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I have K&N push-in breathers in my valve covers. 23# and never had one come out. They do need to be cleaned periodically.

brigs

Established Member
Ur squawking over the cost of a breather set up? That will the absolute least expensive thing u will ever do to a Turbo car. They're like $100 bro.

Pretty simple plumb between valve cover and intake. There isn't gonna be any pressurization cause ur only doing one side. Or use one of the non-vented ones, and route the return/outlet back to the intake elbow.

Both valve covers are currently open, and the options I looked at were $250+. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places but I contacted some vendors here and for anything decent that's what I was finding for cost. Probably was more expensive because I wanted to run both valve covers to 1 vented tank with a drain at bottom. I know you know your stuff, so I appreciate the feedback. I ran a catch can on my supercharged LS2 before, but I went with a cheap option that fit right up front and it worked fine. For this turbo setup, it has a fender dump and I'm trying to figure out the best option - 1 simple non-vented can for each valve cover, 1 big breather box, or push in breathers. The shop was telling me their plan would be doing fittings for the valve covers and welding, or getting specific adapters, etc. etc. and by the time they quoted me what it would cost, it was a few hundred dollars. Again, not a lot of money in the bigger picture, but I just dumped a lot of money into this thing fixing wiring and other things.

I have K&N push-in breathers in my valve covers. 23# and never had one come out. They do need to be cleaned periodically.

Do the ones you have push directly in, or do I need the grommets for the holes? Do you have pictures or more info.? Thanks

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
The valve covers have factory grommets.

20201213_095853.jpg

brigs

Established Member
Get two of these and some braided nylon hose and fittings.

-10 AN To 3/4" 0.75" 90* Barb Valve Cover Fitting Adapater | eBay

Thank you - I've had that one in my ebay cart for a while, then the car ended up at the shop for electrical. They said I need a catch can setup (which I've been meaning to get around to) and they would have to weld the fittings, etc., and the price was going up and I thought why can't I just put the grommets on (currently gone) each cover, put these fittings that you put here, and then run the hoses. There's no need to weld the fittings on the covers - just grommet and said fitting here, right?

I think I'll go that way instead of the breathers, but yeah, when I saw some of the setups out there it was getting to $250-$400+ all said and done depending on options, which seemed a little bit much for my needs. I just never heard of breathers shooting off, let alone at only max of 18 pounds.

jdant

Established Member
Obviously need breathers or catch can, but this will help with crankcase pressure: https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/Valve-Cover-Breathers-c744.htm
CFM Performance valve cover breather is the only breather on the market which incorporates a check ball to keep unmetered air from coming through while the PCV system is active and the crankcase is under vacuum. In other words, this breather works just like a factory oil cap under normal driving conditions but will vent any positive crankcase pressure present under full or part throttle. It is also the only breather with an integrated baffle to help contain oil particles in the engine rather than allowing them to exit the valve cover and saturate the filter element.

Users who are viewing this thread