Breaking in your Engine

project_pegasus

Established Member
Any right or wrong way to break in your engine on a new car?

here ya go bro. the article focus's on bikes but the concept is the same. i recommend breaking it in on a dyno but if thats unavailable or not an option a looong open road works to ... Good luck :beer: just remember making that vacuum is key so let it wined down from the top of third if you got enough road and just gear break down through half of first.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
On a Dynojet with LC.
7% load;
Warm up
1/2 throttle to 4K
Let the engine do the breaking down to about 3K.
1/2 throttle to 5K
Let the engine do the breaking down to about 4K.
Cooldown
3/4 throttle to 4K
3/4 throttle to 5K
Cooldown
100% throttle to 4K
100% throttle to 5K
100% throttle to 6K
Let the engine do the breaking down to about 5K.

Put about 600 miles on it. Change the oil. then Change the oil again at 2k miles.

I like to do things in a controlled environment ;-)

Done

chrisheltra

Established Member
Like this. lol

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrr6_cj6k34"]YouTube- run1 Bolt on GT VS 2011 mustang GT[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Vg75sIWow"]YouTube- run2 Bolt on GT VS 2011 mustang GT[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qulGmWxMxs"]YouTube- Stock 2011 Mustang GT Vs Full bolt one WS6 run1[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxq4KYw4NRI"]YouTube- Stock 2011 Mustang GT Vs Full bolt on WS6 run2[/nomedia]

kingnut

Established Member
some of the advice on here is plain stupid. id put a couple tanks of gas through it and let everything warm up and cool down a few times. then drive it for what i bought it for.

project_pegasus

Established Member
some of the advice on here is plain stupid. id put a couple tanks of gas through it and let everything warm up and cool down a few times. then drive it for what i bought it for.

warm up and cool down a few times why? that'd be a waste of fun time :p especially a couple tanks worth of heat cycling ... wow (jk) but no really theres no need for that anymore

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member

This isnt the 70's anymore grandpa. lol

Modern motors come pre broken in from the factory. Also clearances are controlled much more than they were in the past. Build material are a lot better now. Lastly technology in oils and lubricants are far superior.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yep. the only reason I have a cooldown period when I break an engine in on the dyno is because no matter how many fans I have aimed at the car, it is impossible to duplicate the amount of air movement you need to keep it cool on back to back runs.

kingnut

Established Member
This isnt the 70's anymore grandpa. lol

Modern motors come pre broken in from the factory. Also clearances are controlled much more than they were in the past. Build material are a lot better now. Lastly technology in oils and lubricants are far superior.

i wasnt born until the 80's. still i wont buy a car and immediately beat on it. im gonna let everything cycle a few times before i do. :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread