Breaking in your Engine

65fastback2+2

Established Member
wrong way is to baby it around like grandma is driving it

right way is to pretend everywhere you drive is a race track

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I usually just put a brick on the gas pedal, and come back about 2hrs later :lol:

Seriously though, use the thing, dont baby the shit out of it!

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
I've heard a lot of different things.. that it doesn't matter as much anymore.

Whenever mine gets here I plan to just drive it around and avoid sticking to a constant speed / rpm. Do a couple runs all the way to 6800 rpms. Pretty much just drive back roads and avoid the highway.

GM H8R

Just a GT
Established Member
I just drove it like a regular person might. I would get on it up to about 4,000 RPM, then ease off. I'm a firm believer however that the days of needing to break in an engine are gone. All though I'm still reluctant to bash on a new car.

SpectorV

Established Member
they are ready to go from the factory, if it bothers you drive it normal (dont baby it, dont race it) just drive it normally and after 1-2k your good to go~

65mph_Roll

Established Member
i've heard a lot of different things.. That it doesn't matter as much anymore.

Whenever mine gets here i plan to just drive it around and avoid sticking to a constant speed / rpm. Do a couple runs all the way to 6800 rpms. Pretty much just drive back roads and avoid the highway.

+1

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Conservative through first oil, no long constant speed drives, mix it up. Some pulls to 75% redline, not too much baby; not too much abuse. Balance. Full throttle here and there, but not redline (or much of that). First oil change @ 2,500 – then give it hell.

GotBst10th

Established Member
id say baby it for the first thousand miles at least to break in the clutch. after that drive it like you stole it!

2013Boss302

Established Member
I drove the shit out of mine I got it 2 days ago 150 miles, now its sitting on the rack at bassani exhaust getting a prototype exhaust system put on it.

Users who are viewing this thread