Breaking in a new clutch

BossAnaki

Established Member
This is just my 2 cents and it is in no way meant to be disrespectful. I fell that some may be a little to aggressive with these cars right out of the gate before they give the clutch some time to properly seat itself.
For breaking the clutch in, I recommend 500 normal miles. Try to keep away from full throttle runs. You don’t want to generate a lot of heat, but you want to seat that friction material in by bedding that material into all the metal surfaces in that clutch. After this its game on.:beer:

BossAnaki

Established Member
It won't hurt, but might be a little hard to do

I completely agree with you, but the life of a clutch is very dependent on properly seating it. I've known people that have smoked a clutch in a few hundred miles that would have been overkill for their setup, all because they started hammering on it the moment they got the back on the road.

bpmurr

Established Member
Oh I thought it was mod the car and then take it to the track for some passes? ;)

Bllit11

Established Member
Boss you are right on i broke this one in the same as my 2011 only at about 300 miles. What till you guys get your cars they are beasts and they want to run they almost beg you to run them. I'm lucky i got to 300 miles before i hammered it, they are just plain badass.

BossAnaki

Established Member
Boss you are right on i broke this one in the same as my 2011 only at about 300 miles. What till you guys get your cars they are beasts and they want to run they almost beg you to run them. I'm lucky i got to 300 miles before i hammered it, they are just plain badass.

I know it is going to be hard to keep my foot out of it but we will see. Its just to tempting. The little devil on my shoulder will be telling me ..."go ahead just one time won't hurt". Then you know what will happen from then on. As where on the other shoulder the little angel will say..."no,no,no have patience".
I'm not going to sit here and say that I won't be a little spirited in my driving, but I won't be doing an full out runs as though I was at the track.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Pretty much what Ford says to do I was easy on mine for the first 300 miles and tried to do lots of stop and start driving then did a few single gear pulls no hard shifts from gear to gear then after 500 miles tried out the launch control...... Ohhh boy it works pretty darn good. I did get some clutch smell a few times when doing some 2nd gear pulls from 2500-6000 rpms but havent had it happen at all since the 3 times it happened and it may have been the brakes for all I know as I slowed down pretty fast after doing those pulls.

BossAnaki

Established Member
Pretty much what Ford says to do I was easy on mine for the first 300 miles and tried to do lots of stop and start driving then did a few single gear pulls no hard shifts from gear to gear then after 500 miles tried out the launch control...... Ohhh boy it works pretty darn good. I did get some clutch smell a few times when doing some 2nd gear pulls from 2500-6000 rpms but havent had it happen at all since the 3 times it happened and it may have been the brakes for all I know as I slowed down pretty fast after doing those pulls.

After reading your posts I also feel that it really may have been your brakes.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I drove mine chill for the first 100 then I started having a good time....760 miles later, car is a monster!

Bllit11

Established Member
I hope you get it as well you've waited longer than i did. I was going nuts but trust me it's worth it.

ITLMOVE

Established Member
Nice advice on the break-in. I wonder if anyone who has used this method, has ever experienced the 1-2 grind problem. The '13 is my 3rd GT500 and I've never had the 1-2 grind problem (maybe I'm just lucky).

Users who are viewing this thread