break-in recommendations...gears

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
Did a search and little came up :??: Was wondering what the recommended break-in was for a new set of gears after being installed?

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
1996_Snake said:
there is no need for break in if the gears are set right.
That is what my gear installer told me. unless they whine.

Do they whine?

Not installed yet...Was planning on having them done outa town cuz there is no place to have them installed properly around here. Want it done right the first time.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Drive it short periods to start with, then gradually make the trips longer.

basiclly heat cycles.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
They should always be broken in IMO. I drive around normally for a while and let the new gears get up to temp, then go home and let the car sit for a couple hours to completely cool. I do this 3 times, then let 'er rip. Never had a problem.

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
MachME said:
Drive it short periods to start with, then gradually make the trips longer.

basiclly heat cycles.

Unfortunately the installer is 3hrs away...so heat cycles could be a problem...:uh oh:

Toasty

Established Member
1996_Snake said:
there is no need for break in if the gears are set right.
That is what my gear installer told me. unless they whine.

Do they whine?

My installer packed my posi with a couple of extra friction plates when he rebuilt the posi and installed my gears. He indicated a 500k (~350mi) of 'taking it easy, especially around corners. After the 500k limit, he had the car back in his shop, changed the fluid, checked the posi 'preload', and the backlash (part of the initial cost). My gears are whine free and my posi is very tight.

If you have your diff rebuilt like I did, the new bearings will take a bit of time to break in, just like in a new engine.

Anyone who says that a metal on metal piece of machinery needs no break in period is a little off...

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
If theyre installed right there is no break in procedure guaranteed. If theyre setup wrong no matter how you attempt to break them in ur gonna have a problem.

I had my 4.10s put in at the local shop where they do all the drag cars and about 10-15 mustangs a month. I asked him how to break them in and he told me a 1/4 mile at a time.

Theyve been in for a few thousand miles and no whine or problems. Theyre already heat treated when they are made so there is no reason to heat cycle them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread