Break In Oil. For Transmissions?

oldmodman

Established Member
Is it recommended to use some form of break in oil in a manual transmission?

There is a brand new Tremec Magnum T-56 sitting on a pallet in my garage and wondered if there was any type (or need) of a break in oil?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Cheap OEM Dexron III style ATF, then use the good stuff. Maybe for a few hundred miles.

You may just go for the good stuff, as there should not be anything that requires to be "seated in".

Last edited:

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I'm a little late to the party here but I will just post for the archives.

I had my T56 built with all new synchronizers, billet keys, etc. I used Amsoil Syncromesh for 500 miles, drained it, then filled it again with new Amsoil Syncromesh. I plan to change it every few years now which is probably only 4000 miles.

I do recommend replacing the fluid after a 500 miles or so because my fluid was definitely filled with contaminants. It had a slight milky-gray color with noticeable tiny metallic flakes. And that was with 50k mile old gears so you will definitely see more.

Bflorhaug

Established Member
I 100% agree with changing the fluid anywhere from 250-500 miles after first initial break in. I have rebuilt alot of manual transmission and every single one of those have had their fluid changed within those peramiters. Everyone one of them has had small metallic flakes come out of them. Nothing alarming, but enough to say you should change it.

oldmodman

Established Member
That is pretty much my intent. A quick run for "break in" then another fresh fill of Amsoil ATF for the next 4K, then another replacement with the same.

I think I will send in a sample for analysis, since I just checked with Blackstone and they will test transmission oils as one of there normal testing procedures.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd run some cheap stuff through it just to clean out any metal particles. If you can add a magnetic drain plug at the same time it wouldn't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread