Brakes grinding

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
So I installed my new 20" American Muscle Performance Package replica wheels the other day and decided to clean them up with some Invisible Glass windshield foam cleaner. I wiped them down and was good to go. I took it for a drive the next day and started noticing a slight grind when pressing the brake at times. I'm wondering if the overspray got on the rotors and left a film and now my pads are glazed over. I took the car up to about 70mph and pressed the brakes pretty hard thinking it might get rid of the grind and it is still there. Very odd.... Any suggestions on what to do to get rid of the grind??

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Take your calipers off, clean everything with brake cleaner re install and you should be good To go!

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
I took them off and cleaned them up. Took it for a spin again and I am still feeling a weird grind and very slight vibration in the brakes. I'm wondering if I'm just feeling the new tires coming to a stop since I upgraded to a larger wheel and tire. I don't know what else to do. The pads and rotors looked great. This literally just happened after I installed the new wheels.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Re-bed them in is what I'd do before messing with anything else.

Go from 10 mph to 60mph and hit the brakes hard but not enough to engage ABS. Do this over and over in a straight line until you can smell the brakes real good which is usually 5-10 times. Then cruise for 5 minutes at speed to let the air cool them back down again. If anything was built up it will get burned off in this process and you'll get a fresh application of pad material on your rotor. When you get home check for any uneven wear.

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
Re-bed them in is what I'd do before messing with anything else.

Go from 10 mph to 60mph and hit the brakes hard but not enough to engage ABS. Do this over and over in a straight line until you can smell the brakes real good which is usually 5-10 times. Then cruise for 5 minutes at speed to let the air cool them back down again. If anything was built up it will get burned off in this process and you'll get a fresh application of pad material on your rotor. When you get home check for any uneven wear.

Awesome... I will do that!

Users who are viewing this thread