Brake upgrade kits ?

David Neibert

Established Member
Are there any kits to upgrade the rear caliper to a 4 or 6 piston caliper that retain the parking brakes ? I would also be willing to switch the front calipers to another brand if a complete kit was available. Recall seeing a GT500 with yellow Baer brakes but not sure if it was a 13/14.

Thanks, David

PS: I tried searching, but terms were too common.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
A similar upgrade is on my list too, though RED calipers and probably Wilwoods.

Shelby sells both Wilwood and Baer kits. IMO, the Baers (front and rear) are over-priced, even for Shelby. The Wilwoods (front and rear), used in 2013-2014 MY Super Snakes (among others), seem like a better deal.

I'm not sure they're exactly the same, but the Wilwoods look pretty close to their AERO6 Big Brake Front Brake Kit and AERO4 Big Brake Rear Parking Brake Kit, both of which Wilwood shows as compatible with our cars.

David Neibert

Established Member
A similar upgrade is on my list too, though RED calipers and probably Wilwoods.

Shelby sells both Wilwood and Baer kits. IMO, the Baers (front and rear) are over-priced, even for Shelby. The Wilwoods (front and rear), used in 2013-2014 MY Super Snakes (among others), seem like a better deal.

I'm not sure they're exactly the same, but the Wilwoods look pretty close to their AERO6 Big Brake Front Brake Kit and AERO4 Big Brake Rear Parking Brake Kit, both of which Wilwood shows as compatible with our cars.

Thanks for the links. I noticed the Baer brake kits sold by Shelby also mention the following note about wheels.

Additional Notes:Fits our 20" Alcoa Super Snake and Razor wheels (with 24mm offset only).

Not seeing any note about wheels on the Wildwood kits, so I'm guessing the stock wheels will work. Do you know if that is true ? Asking because I would like to retain the stock Performance Pack wheels.

David

Imatk

Established Member
From what I've read the Wilwoods may not have dust caps for the pistons... if that matters to you.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I thought the factory stuff was pretty robust? Aside from single piston rears that is...

Is there not a way to retrofit our cars with those new trick 15.9" rotors from the GT350?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Not seeing any note about wheels on the Wildwood kits, so I'm guessing the stock wheels will work. Do you know if that is true ? Asking because I would like to retain the stock Performance Pack wheels.
I'm with you, on wanting to retain my stock wheels and guessing the Wilwoods are compatible. Before buying from Shelby, I'd consult with them. I haven't reviewed the details, but Wilwood provides (front and rear) Wheel Clearance Diagrams for THEIR AERO 6 and AERO 4 offerings.

I thought the factory stuff was pretty robust? Aside from single piston rears that is...

Is there not a way to retrofit our cars with those new trick 15.9" rotors from the GT350?
I agree with your assessment of our front brakes. Unfortunately, I think an all-around upgrade is the only way to fulfill my desires for something better in the rear, matched to the front, and red.

I'm not sure about the GT350 rotors but, given the difference in wheel sizes, I have to wonder whether they'd fit.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
The '13/'14 six-piston brakes are awesome brakes.

The only thing they lack is a two-piece rotor. But a two-piece rotor would add about $1500 or so dollars to the total so Ford went with a solid rotor.

The rears are also more than adequate. They don't look pretty, but they get the job done. With the pre '13 rears the rotor was too small and would heat up and fade on track days. With the larger rotor this isn't an issue anymore.

Just paint your rears red... that's what I did :)

I would really like a two-piece rotor, but for the cash I just can't justify it.

If I was tracking my car a lot I would though.

03kbredfire

Established Member
The '13/'14 six-piston brakes are awesome brakes.

The only thing they lack is a two-piece rotor. But a two-piece rotor would add about $1500 or so dollars to the total so Ford went with a solid rotor.

The rears are also more than adequate. They don't look pretty, but they get the job done. With the pre '13 rears the rotor was too small and would heat up and fade on track days. With the larger rotor this isn't an issue anymore.

Just paint your rears red... that's what I did :)

I would really like a two-piece rotor, but for the cash I just can't justify it.

If I was tracking my car a lot I would though.

I have been looking to shed weight and have come across the Girodisc at around $1000. Maybe a group purchase opportunity. Is there enough interest to pursue this? I suspect it may take around 6 purchasers to get any better pricing. They appear well constructed and drop 10 lbs. per rotor. A 20 lb. total of rotating mass is appealing. If maximum weight savings is of interest there is also a free weight loss of removing the stock tie rod end cooling shield of an additional pound per side. It is there to protect the boot from excessive heat. So removal would be at the expense of its job function.

Installed link to share product info only.

http://www.competitionmotorsport.co...14-A1091.htm?gclid=CLKtuOrxu8sCFVBefgod0T0LqA

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
I have been looking to shed weight and have come across the Girodisc at around $1000. Maybe a group purchase opportunity. Is there enough interest to pursue this? I suspect it may take around 6 purchasers to get any better pricing. They appear well constructed and drop 10 lbs. per rotor. A 20 lb. total of rotating mass is appealing. If maximum weight savings is of interest there is also a free weight loss of removing the stock tie rod end cooling shield of an additional pound per side. It is there to protect the boot from excessive heat. So removal would be at the expense of its job function.

Installed link to share product info only.

http://www.competitionmotorsport.co...14-A1091.htm?gclid=CLKtuOrxu8sCFVBefgod0T0LqA

I'm in for a set just let me know.

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I installed Wilwood up front. I don't recommend them. The rotor hat offset was wrong and they refused to make a correct. Sent me another caliper bracket that made it work but then had to modify the heat shield for clearance. They said these rotors are used on other cars that they can't make it right just for our cars. They shouldn't be selling them for our cars!

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I've thought about upgrading the rear calipers using one of Shelby American's packages as well. However, my concern is affecting the Front to rear brake bias. With brakes such an integral part of not just stopping, but also cornering, traction, and even stability control in modern cars, messing with this bias might cause unforeseen or possibly dangerous changes. I'd go with a well engineered kit from Ford Performance if one existed (which it doesn't), otherwise I'd take caution that whoever produces and sells the kit has designed it specifically not only to fit, but also to worth effectively with the rest of Ford's vehicle control systems.

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I've thought about upgrading the rear calipers using one of Shelby American's packages as well. However, my concern is affecting the Front to rear brake bias. With brakes such an integral part of not just stopping, but also cornering, traction, and even stability control in modern cars, messing with this bias might cause unforeseen or possibly dangerous changes. I'd go with a well engineered kit from Ford Performance if one existed (which it doesn't), otherwise I'd take caution that whoever produces and sells the kit has designed it specifically not only to fit, but also to worth effectively with the rest of Ford's vehicle control systems.
I may be wrong but seems to me on mine that the ABS takes care of the front to back bias. At least for street and drag racing mine seems fine. Probably wouldn't recommend these for track racing however. They are smaller than the factory rotors.

03kbredfire

Established Member
I may be wrong but seems to me on mine that the ABS takes care of the front to back bias. At least for street and drag racing mine seems fine. Probably wouldn't recommend these for track racing however. They are smaller than the factory rotors.

I know you are posting for another concern but I have spoken with Girodisc folks on a few occasions have been assured that the replacement rotors have been track tested. They do not make rears for the reason of finding suitable strong castings as thin as stock. No bias issues with the same size as stock. Stock is 19mm on rear. At some point they may have a 2 piece solution but not as of now. There are some that make rears but I do not know if they are lighter or as strong as stock.

David Neibert

Established Member
I installed Wilwood up front. I don't recommend them. The rotor hat offset was wrong and they refused to make a correct. Sent me another caliper bracket that made it work but then had to modify the heat shield for clearance. They said these rotors are used on other cars that they can't make it right just for our cars. They shouldn't be selling them for our cars!

Thanks, I'll scratch the Wildwoods from my list.

David

Users who are viewing this thread