Brake upgrade for Boss 302

Dagwood

Established Member
Does anyone know if the stock Boss 302 Brembo calipers are the same as the Boss 302s calipers. Or do you know of a two piece rotor that will fit the Brembo calipers

I want to upgrade my rotors to a two piece rotor that is capable of track temps. I am having trouble locating rotors that are not drilled like the Baer eradispeed rotors. I was looking at Ford racing rotors but I'm not sure they are compatible with "stock" Boss Brembo calipers. I also looked at Wilwood rotors but they do not specifically list a hat and rotor combinations for a Mustang with Brembo brakes.

LostPony

Established Member
fulltiltboogieracing.com I believe makes some. He posts here as AC427Cobra. Check the thread on the Boss 302S, he has some info and links in that thread.

Dagwood

Established Member
Fulltilt is an option as is DBA. I found DBA on Tirerack but not sure about sourcing just the rotor. Does anyone know who makes the rotor for Fulltilt?

Dagwood

Established Member
Just looked at the Girodisc. Ive never seen those before. Would we use the rotors speced. for the GT500?

Does anyone know the hub back spacing for our rotors?

ShaneMcG

Established Member
Just looked at the Girodisc. Ive never seen those before. Would we use the rotors speced. for the GT500?

a lot of the track heavy guys run those dba-5000 rotors. i don't do it because rotors have a reasonably short lifespan if you run real track pads. with the right pads and fluid fading with stock rotors isn't an issue on the track and replacement rotors are under $70. i dont think in my case saving 20 odd pounds of unsprung weight is going to make that big of a difference in my lap times.

cloud9

Established Member

Yes the '07-'12 GT500 rotors are the same as the Boss. I've been running DBA 5000 2-piece fronts on the track for 5 years now between the two cars. You shed about 8 lbs a rotor and can reuse the hats. They're not cheap, but peace of mind not worrying as much about grenading a front rotor is worth it to me. I get about 20 track days out of a set of rings and that's using DTC70 pads which eat rotors.

Dagwood

Established Member
Where do you buy the rotor rings for the DBA 5000 rotors. I can't find a place that sells just rotor rings.

Dagwood

Established Member
Where do you buy the rotor rings for the DBA 5000 rotors. I can't find a place that sells just rotor rings.

Dagwood

Established Member
I plan to track the car several times a year. I traded a 99 Cobra that also saw a lot of track time. I was having an issue with cracked rotors on that car. I had 2000R Brembo rotors on the front and used Hawk Blue pads. I had a Power Slot slotted rotor and a DBA slotted one piece rotor both crack. I don't mean stress cracks I mean a crack all the way through the rotor making it unusable. I had cooling ducts and backing plates for the rotors so... maybe I just use the brakes a little past their potential.

So for this car I thought I would get out ahead of the issue and switch to two piece rotors. :shrug:

I have been using Valvoline DOT 3 & 4 synthetic brake fluid for years and never had a problem. Pretty cheap and easy to find. I bleed and change fluid often.

Users who are viewing this thread