Brake & tire ???

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
I have an 01 Cobra. I would like to start road racing. What brake rotors etc and tires (make and size)should I consider? Iam running 255/45/17 front and 275/40/17 in the rear.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
get yourself a set of brake ducts for the spindles, some 3" silicone hose (not home depot dryer hose) and some zip ties/hose clamps. connect the hose from the duct on the spindle to the hole in the bumper cover next to the driving light.

for rotors, the stock ones from tire rack on the cheap work fine. for pads, hawk is cheap and plentiful, but i like ferodo a little better.

for tires, "several." start off on street tires. they're loud and they give lots of feel so you can tell what they're doing even when you're just starting out. even better if it rains.

tires, brakes, and fuel are the main consumables. if you have extra gas cans and a support vehicle, run to town for fuel. gas at the track is way expensive. bring fresh brakes for the drive home just in case. plan on buying tires afterwards, even if you dont. the tires will also look really nasty when you come right off the track, but look a jillion times better after the drive home. dont freak out about it right away.

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
I have been on track at Sebring at SVTOA Track Day several times. Would like to increase to several outings a year. I figured I would need upgrades to the brakes and tires. Good suggestion re the ducts. I will get them on.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Start out slow ..... Run what you have to ge tthe feel .... then start to mod ....

1. Extra set of rims
2. Same size on all 4's -- easier to rotate and buy just 1 tire if needed. I run 275/35/18's on all 4's
2. SS brake lines
3. Upgrade the OEM pads
4. Use stock type rotors -- no cross drilled or slotted
5. Invest in a good helmet

Have fun .... there are plenty of events to go to SVTOA and otherwise ... I am planning on 6 or 7 events this year alone ...

fiveoguy

Established Member
If you're just starting out, save your money and just get to the track. You won't be at the level where you need upgrades for your first few events. After you've got a few events under your belt, you'll have a better feel for exactly what upgrades you need most.

I would say the only thing you should consider purchasing for your first event is brake pads and maybe some brake cooling. I use Performance Friction 01 compound, but you will probably have to experiment a little to find out what you like best. Try to find some other mustangs at the track and find out what they use.

Also, make sure you flush your brake fluid before you go. For your first few events, the ford heavy duty stuff should work fine and its cheap.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SnkBtn99 said:
4. Use stock type rotors -- no cross drilled or slotted

Slotted rotors are fine for the track but definitely steer clear of the drilled rotors for track events!!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ShelbyGuy said:
am i the only one that notices a little 'nibble' on the steering wheel at slow speeds when running slotted rotors?

John:

I've never driven my car slowly, so I can't say? It is hardly EVER driven on the street?

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
track

ac427cobra said:
John:

I've never driven my car slowly, so I can't say? It is hardly EVER driven on the street?

what do you take your clients to lunch in? for that quick lunch? :poke: scott ps check out my avatar!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
scottmartin said:
what do you take your clients to lunch in? for that quick lunch? :poke: scott ps check out my avatar!!

Scott:

When I have to make a sales call I put my rain tires on and change out my brakes to smooth street rotors and Galpher pads (that hardly ever get used).

I have not had to take any customers to lunch yet, and I'm not really looking forward to the day? It could get interesting taking a female to lunch wearing a dress trying to climb in around the roll cage!!!! :read:

Nice avatar!! Looks like you have a low rider now too?!?! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread