Brake set up for 1/2 mi and 1 mi race

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
Hey Van,

Looking for recommendation for 1/2 mi race. I was looking at the Motul 600 BF and the Porterfield brake pads. I have had great success with EBC pads before but see you dont carry them. I'm debating the brake ducts and SST brake lines. Let me know what you do for these races?

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
You getting set up for the Pikes Peak 1/2 mile? I've been considering it but I definitely need a brake job first.

Van@RevanRacing

Yes I am! I haven't heard from Van looks like I need to call him.

I will definitely consider the SST Brake lines but otherwise your fluid and brake pads are fine for 1/2 and 1 mile racing and you don't need to change or swap. The Stainless Steel brake lines gave better brake pedal feel IMO under heavy braking which is what you'll need at the Colorado Mile and the short shut down area.

Van

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm still running stock pads and fluid...

I believe Van carries the R4S from Porterfield which is supposed to be one of the rare few pads that can live on the street and track. I would look into those. I bought a set of the non S R4 pads for just track use and I'm excited to see how they do.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
Van I received my new pads question do you need to swap over the shim from the old pads? Looks like the porterfields have it built into the pad correct?

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
Love the new pads so far. The car does feel a little unstable at 148+ mph is there something to keep it a little more stable? 13-14 chin spoiler? Viking shocks? suspension? Looking for advise please.

Van@RevanRacing

Love the new pads so far. The car does feel a little unstable at 148+ mph is there something to keep it a little more stable? 13-14 chin spoiler? Viking shocks? suspension? Looking for advise please.

I'd really like to speak with you on the phone and get a better understanding of your complete existing suspension set up and tire combo so we can determine the right direction for stability. The GO Vert Mile car that I race in Texas...........first pass out off the trailer went 207.7 MPH on a Frod Racing Suspension with FRPP Tokico Shocks and it was moving three feet left to right on the big end crossing the mile so I'm familiar with the stability issue. OBTW, it doesn't do that any longer. I'll be in the office after 2:00 PM EST today.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
In my opinion: I've noticed the car does not feel stable at high speeds, but this is due more to the feel of the car due to the solid rear axle design. It definitely takes some getting used to, especially if you have driven "more exotic" sports cars with an independent suspension. Just hang on to the wheel, and enjoy the ride! However, 200+ mph is a realm that most cars never see and I can't comment on going that fast (because I haven't), but at 148mph you will get that wandering sensation, which is totally normal (?) to some degree. It took me a while to adjust to that feeling that the back end will dance around at speed. That's all I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread