brake rotors

mustarrosa

Established Member
I have had to get my brake rotors turned at 19,834 miles. The calipers and pads were good but the rotors on the front were warped with a wheel shudder with firm braking. I wonder if I should have gone ahead and replaced with a set of upgraded cross drilled rotors? And which brand?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
We have Brembo rotor's stock and they are actually very good. You should stay away from cross drilled rotors unless you just want the bling factor they are proned to cracking under heavy use. You could get slotted and they tend to work very well. In my experience warping on the Cobra is usually due to removing the rims with the rotors hot, not torquing the rims down evenly, or hitting large standing water with the rotors hot. I think you can buy replacement rotors from Ford for like $120 that would have probably been a better idea because once they are cut they are more likely to warp again.

That is why I don't take my car in to a shop to change tires or do work. What I do is pull them off at home with the car cold. Have the tires mounted. Then go home and torque them down star pattern with a torque wrench.

gud2goe

Established Member
i think personnally i would have opted for some after market rotors(baer or the like). they have come down in price so it isnt really worth it to turn old rotors. at least to me. and if your rotors were in fact warped that comes from heat due mostly to heavy braking. cross-drilled rotors help to eleveate that issue.

mustarrosa

Established Member
The dealer mechanic warned me about the need to watch for wheel proper torque . I had the wheels changed at one time and did not watch or check the mechanic so I can't verify that the lugs were over tightened. I did not know that this was a problem.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Tirerack has Brembo rotors for $62/ea, best price I have found.

Toofast is right, these rotors are really pretty good, ecspecially for the money. The warping was probly due to one of the reasons stated above. I have never warped a rotor on my cars on or off the track, but I torque them properly, don't hold the brakes on when they are hot, ect.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread