Brake Rotors

kw_rc

Established Member
I'm planning on some brake upgrades and would like some feedback on brake rotors. My goal is to just improve overall braking. I don't track the car and no drag strip action. Just a weekend cruiser.

What are the pros and cons of:
1. Cross Drilled
2. Slotted
3. Cross Drilled and slotted
4. Cryo treated or other coatings.

Let's keep the focus on rotors and not complete overhaul or substantial changes to the braking system. It would be helpful to hear success stories and even failures along with use cases.

Also, any recommendations on brands and places to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

vipboy28

Established Member
I personally went with Stillen Slotted rotors about a year ago with Hawk Ceramic pads and its about as good as the Stock brembos and rotors.

1) Cross Drilled removes heat quicker however they crack easier and usually cant be resurfaced.
2) Slotted removes heat more than stock and CAN be resurfaced.
3) Cross Drilled and Slotted i hear crack the fastest and have lower life span.
4) Not sure...

I read a lot of different posts and articles on this topic. People talk about best bang for buck and best performance is usually plane non-slotted/drilled.

A quality ceramic pad should be your route ppl have used, Hawk, HPS and Cmax... So its up to you... But I would stick with plane rotors because you can rack up miles and not worry about premature cracking and what not.

einehund

Established Member
I had Drilled and Slotted on my old car and the rotors cracked from the outside drill to the outside edge after about 6 months. These were the Baer brakes, and I thought they should have lasted longer, especially for the price.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I got my cross drilled and slotted rotors from brakes performance and haven't had any issues. Been about a year now on them. They work great, have a great warranty, and are priced pretty good too!

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
If it's just a weekend cruiser just stick with the standard ones and just get some better pads than those dust storm brembo's

jonw605

Established Member
I went with the stoptech drilled cryo rotors. Honestly I went with the drilled rotor for the look. I've heard (but have zero experience) that the cryo treated will not crack. When the weather warms I will put them to the test.
I also went with hawk hps (high performance street) pads for less dust.
I purchased them from tirerack.com for $111 each plus $130 for the pads.
They look great.

barspen

Established Member
I went with the stoptech drilled cryo rotors. Honestly I went with the drilled rotor for the look. I've heard (but have zero experience) that the cryo treated will not crack. When the weather warms I will put them to the test.
I also went with hawk hps (high performance street) pads for less dust.
I purchased them from tirerack.com for $111 each plus $130 for the pads.
They look great.

I have pretty much the same setup, expect I'm using the HPS 5.0 pads on the front and HPS on the rear. Cross Drilled rotors look good IMO, but you'll see differing opinions on them adding any functionality (airflow/venting specifically). And there are several reports of cross-drilled rotors cracking under high stress (Road Racing). Cyro is supposed to strengthen the metal and the upcharge is minimal on StopTech rotors.

Had my setup on about a month and they look good and work great.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Don't forget to change your fluid. Every two years min. Serious track guys change it after every session. My dealer offers a brake flush for $99.

kw_rc

Established Member
I had Drilled and Slotted on my old car and the rotors cracked from the outside drill to the outside edge after about 6 months. These were the Baer brakes, and I thought they should have lasted longer, especially for the price.

einehund - was this with normal driving or pushing the brakes hard?

kw_rc

Established Member
If it's just a weekend cruiser just stick with the standard ones and just get some better pads than those dust storm brembo's

I hear you Cody but if I use the logic I wouldn't have built a 800 hp car :thumbsup: . This is my project car and I want to improve upon what is there. The stock brakes work just fine...no complaints. I just want new rotors and pads that will improve stopping power over stock.

kw_rc

Established Member

kw_rc

Established Member
I really like the drilled/cross-drilled look. I'd also like to increase the size of the rears. They're a little small to me.
You can see from this pic.

Targas side.jpg

finally03gt

Established Member
http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/Premium-Dimpled-and-Slotted-Brake-Rotors.php
This is my next rotor. Had 13" on the front of my '03 with Cobra calibers SS lines and Off the shelf Ceramic pads and I love the set up. Good pricing, great warranty and ran them for years on the '03
I will go to a hawk pad when I upgrade, just not sure with one yet. I know you said keep to rotor discussion but for the cost, SS lines are amazing.

DaFreak

Established Member
You should buy my old ones :) Such a steal. DBA 5000's with 3500 miles on them.

I loved these rotors, I ran them with the hawk pads and they performed at a very high level on the twisty track (twice). They are noticeably better than stock.

Bought and supported through Van too --> link

Users who are viewing this thread