Brake pistons won't come out after bleeding

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
When you guys bleed your brakes, are you running vac line from the bleeders into a cup or brake fluid container? That way when the pedal comes back up it just sucks in fluid?

Or the old school method, open bleeder, press brake, close bleeder, lift brake?

Also IIRC cant a handheld like diablow/sct can purge the ABS?

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
When you guys bleed your brakes, are you running vac line from the bleeders into a cup or brake fluid container? That way when the pedal comes back up it just sucks in fluid?

Or the old school method, open bleeder, press brake, close bleeder, lift brake?

Also IIRC cant a handheld like diablow/sct can purge the ABS?
Wait what? Are you saying what I think your saying? You shouldn't be sucking fluid in from the calipers. That's an out only. Fill the reservoir and bleed (drain) from the calipers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Wait what? Are you saying what I think your saying? You shouldn't be sucking fluid in from the calipers. That's an out only. Fill the reservoir and bleed (drain) from the calipers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ive always ran a vac line from the bleeder into a cup with brake fluid or the brake fluid jug itself, open bleeder, press brake, lift brake, close bleeder. Obviously also ensuring the reservoir is full. One person operation and that way you push air out but bring back in only fluid. I dunno, I saw it once on one of those sunday morning car shows and have been doing it that way ever since.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Stepped away from this thread, if you cracked the bleeders and just let the fluid drain, you'll need to not only bleed the master cylinder, but you'll also need to bleed the ABS system which as stated requires some special tools.

You may need to take the car to a Ford dealer.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Easy fix,
Take to ford and ask to perform a ABS bleed.
Cost me 1hr labor and I was back in business after brake caliper and stainless steel brake line install.
Granted you didn't mess something up lol

keith89

Established Member
did you try pulling the ebrake a few times to take up the slack? Once you reinstalled the calipers, the pads are probably far from the rotor. pulling the ebrake until the slack is gone resets the piston positions. I'm not sure if this is causing your bleeding issues but its possible.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Ive always ran a vac line from the bleeder into a cup with brake fluid or the brake fluid jug itself, open bleeder, press brake, lift brake, close bleeder. Obviously also ensuring the reservoir is full. One person operation and that way you push air out but bring back in only fluid. I dunno, I saw it once on one of those sunday morning car shows and have been doing it that way ever since.
I used to bleed that way BUT I had replaced the bleeder valves with speedbleeders. IIRC, the fronts and backs took different sizes (which I can't find), so if someone doen=sn't chime in with the sizes, it would be best to call them and ask.

daltonculvert

Established Member
did you try pulling the ebrake a few times to take up the slack? Once you reinstalled the calipers, the pads are probably far from the rotor. pulling the ebrake until the slack is gone resets the piston positions. I'm not sure if this is causing your bleeding issues but its possible.

I'm going to try this before taking it in. I screwed them in but never thought to pull the ebrake. Then if all doesn't go well then I have an appointment with a Ford dealer Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread